IGNORED

N64 revisited!

StanJr

I pulled out the old N64 yesterday after a YEAR hiatus. And I must say, while MOST of the games for it are pretty weak compared to their translations on other systems, there are some REAL gems that redeem the existence of this last bastion of the cartridge format.

I'm having a BLAST again with the following games:

Mario 64

Zelda: Ocarina of Time

Guantlet Legends

Mario Golf

Mario Kart 64

Zelda: Majora's Mask

Pokemon Snap (yeah, so shut up!)

It may be a dead system and a nearly dead format, but I'm glad I have an N64 and I'm also glad the game prices are plummetting!

That is all I have to say, thank you! :)

I rather enjoyed goldeneye and perfect dark...good pre halo fps games. Also notable is Star Fox 64, Paper Mario, Mario Tennis, F-Zero X, and Star Wars Roge Squadron. I also really liked the Space Invaders remake on it, and I've heard that the robotron update is really only any good on the 64. These are all good too, in addition to the previously mentioned games.

I got mine back in 97. The first system I bought with my own money, and it's still one of my favorites, if for nothing else, then the nostalgia it gives me, but the games rock anyhow. I will say, however, the analog stick sucks, due to it wearing out over time from use. I wish I knew of a way to fix it.

My fav N64 games:

Zelda: Ocarina of Time

Zelda: Majora's Mask

Wave Race

Star Wars Racer

Star Wars Rogue Squadron

Mario 64

DK 64

Banjo Kazooie

I currently have over 25 N64 games but the rest I usually don't play them anymore. Most of the N64 games are just ok at best, but the Zelda64 games alone are enough reason to get a N64 in your collection.

I got the 64 when it first came out and have never regretted it. It still gets played a lot (a little less as the rest of my collection grows) and I think its quality is what will lead me to get a Gamecube when I can afford one. Over the years I've taken crap from my friends with the PS (I only got a PS1 recently) but as the price dropped on the 64 ($25 now) they all bought one.

My fave 64 games:

Mario 64

Starfox 64

Rogue Squadron

Blast Corps

All of the Mario Party games my wife and I play a game every night!

Resident Evil

Goldeneye

I was a late comer to the N64 and never regretted finally picking one up.

My collection really swelled (up around 50) by swinging through Blockbuster Video and picking up cheap used games. For a while they were really blowing them out, with great titles going for $9.99, and every so often would be a "buy 2 get one free" special.

I liked many of the Rare games, including DK64, Banjo Tooie, and of course CONKER (which absolutely rocked!).

N64 was probably the last cartridge based console (not handheld), wasn't it?

The N64 is a still one of my favorite systems. The system pioneered many things like 4 controller ports, rumble feedback, and a memory card port in the controller.Zelda Ocarina of Time is one of the best games ever made. Golden Eye 007 has become a standard for FPS's on consoles. Even still to this day if you read a review for a new FPS there will be a comparison to 007. Plus, the Mario Party games are a blast with four friends.

I gave up most of my Nintendo 64 game cartridges, but I'm still holding onto the two Legend of Zelda games -- Ocarina Of Time and Majora's Mask -- in addition to Indiana Jones & The Infernal Machine, which is probably the closest thing the Indiana Jones franchise will ever have to a decent game based on it. I bought my first Nintendo 64 in 1997 along with Super Mario 64, and the one thing I really hated was that its initial release cartridges were around $80. Yeech! Before that, I paid almost that much for Donkey Kong Country and Doom for the Super NES. Fortunately, the prices of later releases started going down to around $60, so I didn't have to continue shelling out megabucks for games like War Gods, which even though I thought was an interesting take on Virtua Fighter using the Mortal Kombat control scheme, didn't stay around in my collection long enough to hold my interest. By 2000, I sold my black-shelled Nintendo 64 with Super Mario 64 and the Expansion Pack to somebody for $50 while I got myself a translucent blue-shelled Nintendo 64. I'm not sure I'm ready to part with that yet, even though it now also has the Expansion Pack, and I also have a Playstation 2 to play with.

Anyway, my favorites on that system are:

1. Super Mario 64

2. Doom 64

3. Banjo Kazooie (the sequel was way too tough for me!)

4. Star Fox 64 (way better than the original version for the Super NES)

5. Wave Race

6. 1080 Snowboarding

7. Gauntlet Legends

8. Robotron 64 (playing it with two Nintendo 64 controllers in each hand is the way to go!)

9. Legend Of Zelda -- Ocarina Of Time

10. Legend Of Zelda -- Majora's Mask

Hey, what's this doing in the Modern Gaming Forum? Some you may know I eschew all Modern video game systems. (Still never touched a playstation.)

Well a few weeks ago I couldn't pass up a complete N64 system for $10 at a flea market. When you can pay that for a system, it's no longer modern.

The only game I have now is Shadows of the Empire that I'm borrowing from my brother, but I do like NHL 99 and Goldeneye. I look forward to picking up some of the games you guys have mentioned. :)

Hey, what's this doing in the Modern Gaming Forum?  Some you may know I eschew all Modern video game systems.  (Still never touched a playstation.)

Well a few weeks ago I couldn't pass up a complete N64 system for $10 at a flea market.  When you can pay that for a system, it's no longer modern.

The only game I have now is Shadows of the Empire that I'm borrowing from my brother, but I do like NHL 99 and Goldeneye.  I look forward to picking up some of the games you guys have mentioned. :)

In my opinion, it's still modern if games and accesories can still be bought new from most retail stores carrying video gaming stuff. Although that's a great deal, and there's nothing wrong with n64's, so it's good you bought it. I hope you get many years of enjoyment out of it.

It may be a dead system and a nearly dead format, but I'm glad I have an N64 and I'm also glad the game prices are plummetting!

That is all I have to say, thank you! :)

*applauds* You summed up my feelings about N64 quite nicely Stan. I own about 60 carts already and this weekend I'm gonna pick up 20 more. It's definitely the best of both worlds: the vintage retrogame era of cartridges with the modern era of 90's consoles all rolled into one. I even like the funky controllers; when you're used to them you can play some wicked mean games of Mario Kart, F-Zero, and Goldeneye. Oh and speaking of which, was the fact it came with four controller ports built in BRILLIANT or what? The advanced thinking of an Atari 5200 in a modern Nintendo. :D Man the N64 was today and still is the ultimate party game system. A couple of pizzas, an N64, some pop and a few extra controllers and let the good times roll! :D

I had N64 the day it came out along with Mario 64 of course.

What an awesome ass experience that was.

My next purchase was Mortal Kombat Trilogy (The best MK at that time...I thought.)

But the one the blew me away...

TUROK!!

Man O Man did that game rock? Am I the only one that thought Turok ruled????

I loved the sound effects...The distant wildcats hissing. I loved the way the bad guys would squirt blood from their neck and convulse on the ground. This wasn't the squeaky clean Nintendo I was used to.

Who's with me!!!??????

The N64 is a still one of my favorite systems. The system pioneered many things like 4 controller ports, rumble feedback, and a memory card port in the controller.Zelda Ocarina of Time is one of the best games ever made. Golden Eye 007 has become a standard for FPS's on consoles. Even still to this day if you read a review for a new FPS there will be a comparison to 007. Plus, the Mario Party games are a blast with four friends.

It did NOT poineer 4 controller ports!!! the Atari 800 and 5200 had four ports way back in '79 and '82!!!

I love the N64 :)

But then again I'm pretty much a console whore who at any time will have an xbox, a gamecube, a 2600, and a tg-16 (or any combination otherwise) all next to each other living in harmony :P

Fav games: Banjo Kazooie, M-Kart, 1080, Zelda's, and a whole lot more

I cant believe you have all surpassed three of the most fun games in the N64 library:

WCW/nWo revenge

WWF Wrestlemania 2000

WWF No Mercy (Even the glitched version)

I thought they were all great as both 1,2,3 or 4 player games. The battle royals were a blast!!!

And anyone who watches WWE knows playing these is much more fun than watching it at the moment..... :_( :_( :_(