IGNORED

N64 revisited!

StanJr

The N64 is a still one of my favorite systems. The system pioneered many things like 4 controller ports, rumble feedback, and a memory card port in the controller.Zelda Ocarina of Time is one of the best games ever made. Golden Eye 007 has become a standard for FPS's on consoles. Even still to this day if you read a review for a new FPS there will be a comparison to 007. Plus, the Mario Party games are a blast with four friends.

It did NOT poineer 4 controller ports!!! the Atari 800 and 5200 had four ports way back in '79 and '82!!!

WOW. I didnt know that. So was there any good games that took advantage of four ports?

I pulled out the old N64 yesterday after a YEAR hiatus.  And I must say, while MOST of the games for it are pretty weak compared to their translations on other systems, there are some REAL gems that redeem the existence of this last bastion of the cartridge format.

That is all I have to say, thank you! :)

All I have to say is three words:

Pokemon Puzzle League.

If you were at PhillyClassic 2K2, you'll understand. :D

And anyone who watches WWE knows playing these is much more fun than watching it at the moment..... :_(  :_(  :_(

Not so fast. After a long downturn in stories and scripts, things are finally starting to look up. HBK is back. Booker T is getting huge solo push. Scott Steiner (Big Poppa Pump) is set to debut on Raw or Smackdown any minute now (once the alleged "bidding war" ends). The love/hate relationship between Angle and Benoit as tag team champs is brilliant. Eddie has been putting on a tour de force as a massive heel, and the only sad thing I can think of is that they had to bring Big Show to Smackdown to end Lesnar's run. I'm happier with WWE right now than I have been in the last three months, and certainly I think we've rebounded from that all-time "necrophilia" low which Hunter not only disowned, but publically blamed Bischoff for on Monday night. (Blame Bischoff, that always works.) Now can you DIG IT, SUCKAHHHHHHHHHHH?

The N64 is a still one of my favorite systems. The system pioneered many things like 4 controller ports, rumble feedback, and a memory card port in the controller.Zelda Ocarina of Time is one of the best games ever made. Golden Eye 007 has become a standard for FPS's on consoles. Even still to this day if you read a review for a new FPS there will be a comparison to 007. Plus, the Mario Party games are a blast with four friends.

It did NOT poineer 4 controller ports!!! the Atari 800 and 5200 had four ports way back in '79 and '82!!!

WOW. I didnt know that. So was there any good games that took advantage of four ports?

I got an N64 at a thrift (!) last year. I have since found a few games that even I. the 3d h@t0r, can enjoy. Anyway, I have seen this same mistake (N64 = 1st console with 4 controller ports) made before. Luckily, others brought up the 5200 and 400. However... the Bally Astrocade/Pro Arcade, released in 1978, ALSO had 4 controller ports. Right out of the box. So I do believe that is the FIRST console that can claim that. :)

-deadtech

Not so fast.  After a long downturn in stories and scripts, things are finally starting to look up.  HBK is back.  Booker T is getting huge solo push.  Scott Steiner (Big Poppa Pump) is set to debut on Raw or Smackdown any minute now (once the alleged "bidding war" ends).  The love/hate relationship between Angle and Benoit as tag team champs is brilliant.  Eddie has been putting on a tour de force as a massive heel, and the only sad thing I can think of is that they had to bring Big Show to Smackdown to end Lesnar's run.  I'm happier with WWE right now than I have been in the last three months, and certainly I think we've rebounded from that all-time "necrophilia" low which Hunter not only disowned, but publically blamed Bischoff for on Monday night.  (Blame Bischoff, that always works.)  Now can you DIG IT, SUCKAHHHHHHHHHHH?

I know a lot of people (go to wrestlecrap.com) for whom the necro angle was the last straw.

There is some OK stuff happening, but there is still a lot of wasted talent (Benoit, Helms, Jericho..etc.)

What they need is competition so they get off their arses, and sadly this isnt going to happen any time soon.... :sad:

Anyway, I have seen this same mistake (N64 = 1st console with 4 controller ports) made before.  Luckily, others brought up the 5200 and 400.  However...  the Bally Astrocade/Pro Arcade, released in 1978, ALSO had 4 controller ports.  Right out of the box.  So I do believe that is the FIRST console that can claim that.  :)

Ok, but to be fair, there was a long time gap between the old 4 port systems and the N64...the definately get credit for a revival[/] of the 4 ports. (Which means more games are likely to support that type of play.

Same thing for the small analog stick (as opposed to those giant flightsticks)...they weren't truly first (Vectrex, kinda sorta 5200) but they were the first in a good long while, and other game companies followed their lead.

All I have to say is three words:

Pokemon Puzzle League.

If you were at PhillyClassic 2K2, you'll understand.  :D

I'm coming to 2K3, and believe me I'll be ready to battle. ;)

The competition is TOUGH. Really, really, really tough.

Here's my story: my main gaming buddy Peterman started getting into this game bigtime. In my family, where most of the other gamers are women, I can beat them at everything, except puzzle games like this, they put in a lot of time and got really good at games in that genre. They were smoking me at Tetris Attack. But after a good # of months watching my mad skillz pile up against Peterman, I could beat all of them handily. I was playing at such a higher level than when I started, it wasn't even funny. No, my chains weren't usually that deep, (Peterman was the thinker, and he would generally get beat by my 'speed bitch' technique) but I was fast and reasonably clever.

So I decide to join in the tourney. I knew I wasn't gonna win, but I didn't think I was going to be eliminated in the FIRST DAMN ROUND.

The woman who took the title...man. It's a whole new level. Several levels above where us mere mortals are.

And anyone who watches WWE knows playing these is much more fun than watching it at the moment..... :_(  :_(  :_(

Not so fast. After a long downturn in stories and scripts, things are finally starting to look up. HBK is back. Booker T is getting huge solo push. Scott Steiner (Big Poppa Pump) is set to debut on Raw or Smackdown any minute now (once the alleged "bidding war" ends). The love/hate relationship between Angle and Benoit as tag team champs is brilliant. Eddie has been putting on a tour de force as a massive heel, and the only sad thing I can think of is that they had to bring Big Show to Smackdown to end Lesnar's run. I'm happier with WWE right now than I have been in the last three months, and certainly I think we've rebounded from that all-time "necrophilia" low which Hunter not only disowned, but publically blamed Bischoff for on Monday night. (Blame Bischoff, that always works.) Now can you DIG IT, SUCKAHHHHHHHHHHH?

Big Show is sweet as hell, but I know he isn't gonna beat Brock. Brock will probably either F-5 the big man, or he'll do the unseen on tv Shooting Star Press.

I know a lot of people (go to wrestlecrap.com) for whom the necro angle was the last straw.

There is some OK stuff happening, but there is still a lot of wasted talent (Benoit, Helms, Jericho..etc.)

What they need is competition so they get off their arses, and sadly this isnt going to happen any time soon.... :sad:

I'm a wrestlecrap regular, but RD Reynolds never seems to publish my letters in the mailbag. Anyhoo, it's whistling in the wind that the "one show, one roster" crap is coming to an end soon, especially since the freeze has been lifted and "trades" are being made again. We'll see.

So I decide to join in the tourney. I knew I wasn't gonna win, but I didn't think I was going to be eliminated in the FIRST DAMN ROUND.

The woman who took the title...man.  It's a whole new level. Several levels above where us mere mortals are.

Nevertheless, even if I COULD get smoked like kielbasa, I'm not going to let that scare me off. I didn't even get my shot in the ColecoVision tournament at CGE this year, so the thirst in my blood for competitive gaming has not yet been quenched. :D

You know, there were MANY amazing, yet under-recognized games for the N64, you know-

Buck Bumble

Space Station Silicon Valley

Blast Corps

Mischief Makers

Body Harvest

Cool stuff to check out. And almost everything on the N64 that was Star Wars related is fantastic.

-Yar

If anyone one wants, I can do a run down of all the good N64 games from my pretty decent sized collection.

Assuming they don't, I just want to chime in that yeah, Space Station Silicon Valley and Blast Corps were *great* puzzle-ish games (this from a guy who's not a fan of the genre) -- I liked the styling of Buck Bumble with its scifi heavily armed bugs, and the 1 on 1 soccer was conceptually very cool (and might inspire a mode in my atari 2600 game joustpong) but it didn't do a lot for me.

BattleTanx, both games, were great, with the sequal being a great enhancement to the first. I wish wish wish they'd do a proper sequel to those on the cube!

Another oddball underrated game: Xena. 4 person 3-dish brawler, like Powerstone 2 without all the wackiness...had an interesting targetting system. Not as good as Powerstone 2, but fun in medium doeses for 4 player brawling.

I have extra copies of Mario Kart 64, Zelda Ocarina of Time, Ogre Battle 64, Super Mario 64, Goldeneye 007 and Super Smash Bros. Bivotar gets first crack at them, then the rest will be up for trade on AA and RGVC.

Also, I bought a copy of Pokemon Puzzle League for GBC for only $15. That means even when I'm not home with my N64 now, I can still get my practice on. Look out PhillyClassic, I'm comin'! ;)

• 2 months later...

Well, I thought I would revive this thread. I got the N64 for my daughter for Christmas, and find that I'm spending a lot of time on it myself. I have always shunned away from the console fad because 98% of the games I like on the consoles are ported to the PC. I never get much time for games either, and with 5 PC's in the house, there really wasn't a need for a game console...

The reason for buying it... my daughter (7) went over to her godparent's house for Thanksgiving and the PS2 was on with Tony Hawk Pro Skater 3. She never played any consoles in the past, so she was hesitant to play it. They showed her a few moves, and that was it... she was hooked! I don't remember seeing her after that! I kept pondering the idea of getting the PS2 with THPS3 for her for Christmas... but couldn't get past the $150 - $200 price range for the system with ONE controller and no accessories... then another $40 for THPS3 (which can now be found for $14.99 with the release of THPS4). I already have 4 DVD players in the house, so I didn't care about that feature. I went to a Video Game Swapper store, and saw THPS3 for N64 for $18, and the console was $29. I thought this would be a great starter system for her, and she would still get to play THPS3!

I have to say the N64 console, for it's age (7 yrs old), is really a great system! And with games for it ranging between $3 to $15 now that it's "outdated" (except for the Mario's which still seem to be in the $25+ range), it was a worthy $29 investment. She sat and played THPS3 for 3 hours, then went and played with some of her other toys she got, but has played it a little bit almost every day.

eBay has been my friend since Christmas for many great deals... I've acquired over 80 games... spending about $500. If I bought a PS2, I would have only been able to get about 8 games for the same price! I have played most of them except for a few sports games. I ended up buying an ice blue system with 15 games, 4 controllers on eBay, and sold the other system to a friend with Zelda: OOT because his daughter loves all the Zelda games. I got the Mad Catz fishing controller to play Bass Fishin' and Bassmasters 2000 (both really great games). I got the steering wheel ($10) for Cruisin' USA ($7) and SF Rush ($9). I got the expansion pak for $15, and found many local stores (Dimple Records, GameStop, and a Video Clearance Center) to have some great games at great deals (:love: ! I got the S-Video A/V connector for better quality output over the composite video. We are hooked!! Maybe if the PS2 ever gets down to the :ponder:

The games I love playing are:

THPS2/3, Conkers BFD (played late at night when she's asleep), Mario Kart, Mickey's Speedway, Bass Fishin' and Bassmasters 2000, Star Wars Racer and Rogue Squadron, 007 Goldeneye, Namco Museum and Midway Classics, NFL Blitz/2K/2K1, StarFox, Army Men: Sarge's Heroes, and Hydro Thunder.

The games she loves to play are:

THPS2/3, Rugrats in Paris, Rugrats Scavenger Hunt, Mario Kart, Bass Fishin', DK64, Super Mario 64, Mario Party, Mario Tennis, and Yoshi's Story.