IGNORED

If a video game crash happened this year, how would you react?

Pixelboy

Picture it: Xbox 360, PS3, PSP, DS and Wii games all landing in the bargain bins across North America (and elsewhere too), first-party and third-party publishers sinking with major loses and seriously considering backing out of the video game industry, the business media announcing the end of an era and analyzing "what went so wrong", and of course drawing parallels with the '84 video game crash.

Of course, in reality it's not going to happen anytime soon, but what if it did? How much would it affect you? Would you weep or would you look at it with a certain apathy?

Wait, there are consoles other than Atari and Intellivision? WOW!

Actually I would probably generally be unaffected. The Wii has mostly shovelware in my opinion anyway, so I'm not missing out on anything from it. The Xbox 360 would probably make me the saddest, missing out on so many good games. I would think as a secondary effect PCs would take a hit, which would actually be worst for me -- I am primarily a PC gamer.

I would hog up all the cheap games I could and cross my fingers that we got out of it quickly, I think.

Start hording everything and anything, the more obscure the better. And keep it all in boxes. Horde.

Of course this is what everyone else will do as well, we learn from history, no? This is why all my baseball cards and action figures are worthless, you realize...

Picture it: Xbox 360, PS3, PSP, DS and Wii games all landing in the bargain bins across North America (and elsewhere too), first-party and third-party publishers sinking with major loses and seriously considering backing out of the video game industry, the business media announcing the end of an era and analyzing "what went so wrong", and of course drawing parallels with the '84 video game crash.

Of course, in reality it's not going to happen anytime soon, but what if it did? How much would it affect you? Would you weep or would you look at it with a certain apathy?

If it happened this year, and everything landed in the bargain bin the same way you'd be able to buy Atari Games back in the 80's with things going as cheap as 99 cents?

BUYING SPREE!

I doubt I'd even notice everything gone and no new games being created for at least 30 years, and then I'd only just notice it - and continue playing the other half of what I own. ;)

The word is spelled HOARD.

Not, "Whored?" No wonder I've been getting funny looks on the collecting boards!

Anyway, as regards a modern crash, it wouldn't matter to me personally. But I might go out and pick up a few of each current console MIB just to hold onto them for 20 years. :P

• Like 1

I dunno... doesn't seem to me like the generic CD/DVD based gaming systems and the software of today are going to be as collectible as the game systems of yore. Reason I think that is look how much more disposable our society has become within the last 30 years. Especially since the advent of the digital camera, digital downloadable music and movies, hard drives and recordable optical media that does NOT stand the test of time. It is my strong opinion that people do not value physical media like they used to. Books, mags, newspapers and that whole bean. Yeah, I don't see these modern video games leaving as much as an impression on kids today as the old stuff we all come here to talk about. Especially when in another 20 years, and the shit has really hit the fan in this country (and the rest of the world) they start to parallel their lives with the trash that is GTA, etc. ;) Trash in training is how I view most of this stuff. DOH! Better stop there before y'all think I'm 80 years old or something... :lol:

Edited by save2600

I couldn't care less. I cancelled my Gamefly membership a while back and the only time I've even turned on either my Wii or 360 in the last few months was to try to install the Zelda hack on my Wii (which didn't work because I have too-recent system software) or watch a DVD. I'm just not playing any modern games right now, and don't have plans to play anything on the horizon.

Unless you count the iPod Touch - the little bit of "modern" gaming I'm doing these days is on that.

The word is spelled HOARD.

No, I meant what I said, I plan to gather a mob of people together, the more obscure the better and just keep them there, in boxes.

What? What did you think I meant? :ponder:

Edited by StanJr
  • Like 1

i would just go out and buy as much as possible, i actually play more retro games than current gen so it wouldn't effect me as much as some people. i don't see it happening atleast for another decade though, most games are more about graphics than gameplay now and people seem to like it that way.

I will finally be able to catch up to the awesome whirlwind of PSP games that have been released the past few years.

All kidding aside, it wouldn't affect me at all. I find myself largely jaded with modern games. I think a crash would be healthy for game designers. "Maybe we should eschew all this exposition crap and just concentrate on the game play." One can dream.