IGNORED

HSC Season 7 Game 6: Beef Drop

18,850, I would've done better but I'm a vegetarian ;)

The chef doesn't eat the burgers. He just walks on them. As far as I know, vegetarians are allowed to walk on meat. (...as long as they wear shoes)

Yes, this is fine, unless the chef likes to lick his shoes at the end of the day :D , then he's placed in a tricky dilemma :?

Yes... yes, of course... I hadn't considered that. (for some strange reason...)

What goes around comes around is the concept behind karma. So even if you don't eat the animal, whatever suffering you cause to others comes back to you in the future. In fact you don't even have to kill the animal directly, you can be promoting the killing or assisting and thus be an accomplice.

The chef doesn't eat the burgers. He just walks on them. As far as I know, vegetarians are allowed to walk on meat. (...as long as they wear shoes)

Yes, this is fine, unless the chef likes to lick his shoes at the end of the day :D , then he's placed in a tricky dilemma :?

What goes around comes around is the concept behind karma. So even if you don't eat the animal, whatever suffering you cause to others comes back to you in the future. In fact you don't even have to kill the animal directly, you can be promoting the killing or assisting and thus be an accomplice.

How about if someone ate part of the aninmal while it was still alive and it didn't die :evil: What about eating the animal if it died of natural causes... ok I'm blaming young gwobby for taking this thread too far ;)

Well atariksi I gave you an extra day, but I guess playing atari is a valid reason for not playing atari final table in a mo...

Well roadrunner you nearly did it, I suddenly had one great go after many at the 50k mark, sorry again ;)

Final Table

1st therealbountybob 123,350 12pts

2nd roadrunner 102,000 11pts

3rd Mr.Amiga500 57,500 10pts

4th atariron82 51,050 9pts

5th Cebus Capucinis 48,950 8pts

6th darthkur 38,300 7pts

7th AB Positive 36,400 6pts

8th littleman jack 29,000 5pts

9th gwobby 18,850 4pt

10th anna 12,350 3pt

11th mapa 10,900 1pt

12th Preppie!! 8,550 1pt

13th bluecat 5,200 1pt

Any corrections please post :ponder:

Can you win the April 2010 Bonus Tourney?

How about if someone ate part of the aninmal while it was still alive and it didn't die :evil: What about eating the animal if it died of natural causes... ok I'm blaming young gwobby for taking this thread too far ;)

Are you talking about taking a bite out of an animal, then letting it go on its merry way? I didn't consider that either.

Actually, I don't eat mammals. I don't walk on mammals either... except an unfortunate accident when I stepped on a sheep. To be fair, though, he stepped on me far more often than I ever stepped on him. (thankfully, he never landed on a hamburger bun)

I feel much better about coming last knowing this game is unsuitable for vegetarians :)

Speaking of,

isn't there a way to access a few special versions of this game at start up--Atkins mode(no veggies) and Veggie mode(no meat)? I know there was a way on the 7800 version, but does anyone know about this 8-bit version?

Well atariksi I gave you an extra day, but I guess playing atari is a valid reason for not playing atari final table in a mo...

You're right if you wound the animal or half-kill him, you would cause more pain and suffering than if you killed him instantly so you would end up getting a bigger karmic reaction to that event.

If you ate the animal that died of natural causes, you would still be risking your health/life-span by eating it. Don't those things start rotting once they die? So unless someone got there and stuffed it with 2700 preservatives/chemicals, even FDA would ban the animal from being eaten.

Speaking of,

isn't there a way to access a few special versions of this game at start up--Atkins mode(no veggies) and Veggie mode(no meat)? I know there was a way on the 7800 version, but does anyone know about this 8-bit version?

These must be entered when title screen is displayed. You should hear some kind of sound confirming.

Vegetarian Mode 834

Atkins Mode 467 (note: may clear prematurely, high score will reset after play on purpose because of this)

Back to Normal 123

April Fools Message 401

Mirror Mode Toggle 767 (AA Cart) 547 (Demo)

More Mode Toggle 243 (AA Cart) 673 (Demo)

God Mode ??? ???

Infinite Pepper mode ??? ???

Edited by kenfused

Speaking of,

These must be entered when title screen is displayed. You should hear some kind of sound confirming.

Vegetarian Mode 834

Atkins Mode 467 (note: may clear prematurely, high score will reset after play on purpose because of this)

Back to Normal 123

April Fools Message 401

God Mode ??? ???

Thanks Ken.

Speaking of,

Vegetarian Mode 834

Back to Normal 123

April Fools Message 401

God Mode ??? ???

Thanks Ken.

Did you check to see if that vegetarian mode is present in Atari 800 8-bit version?

Are you talking about taking a bite out of an animal, then letting it go on its merry way? I didn't consider that either.

Actually, I don't eat mammals. I don't walk on mammals either... except an unfortunate accident when I stepped on a sheep. To be fair, though, he stepped on me far more often than I ever stepped on him. (thankfully, he never landed on a hamburger bun)

You can quantify the pain and suffering via an equation. One method of doing it is:

S(t,i) = INTEGRAL[0..t](P(i)), where P(i) is the intensity of pain depending on nervous system and or how aware the species is. [0..t] is the duration for which the function P(i) is applied. Then the integral of the continuous function P(i) would give you the total suffering of that species S(t,i). Taking the derivative of S(t,i) and setting it to zero and solving that equation allows you to calculate the minimal suffering. Logically, the lower species have less of a nervous system and feel less pain over any given duration. So, eating smaller species means less pain you are causing. So eating a chicken is better than eating a cow. And so on. Of course, eating vegetables would be best.

You can quantify the pain and suffering via an equation. One method of doing it is:

S(t,i) = INTEGRAL[0..t](P(i)), where P(i) is the intensity of pain depending on nervous system and or how aware the species is. [0..t] is the duration for which the function P(i) is applied. Then the integral of the continuous function P(i) would give you the total suffering of that species S(t,i). Taking the derivative of S(t,i) and setting it to zero and solving that equation allows you to calculate the minimal suffering. Logically, the lower species have less of a nervous system and feel less pain over any given duration. So, eating smaller species means less pain you are causing. So eating a chicken is better than eating a cow. And so on. Of course, eating vegetables would be best.

By "eating" I'm implying killing or supporting the killing which affects P(i) contribution on your behalf. There's an infinitesimal duration (di) I didn't mention in the INTEGRAL: S(t,i) = INTEGRAL[0..t](P(i)di).

...and how does the game Beef Drop fit into all this?

From my experience, I would calculate pain like this(simplified): P = s (M² / T)

...where P (pain) equals the mass of the sheep squared divided by the thickness of my shoes, multiplied by the sharpness of his hooves. (as he stands on my foot and reaches while he tries to get food off me)

As you can see by my calculation, wearing no shoes and getting stepped on the toes by a heavy sheep with sharp hooves hurts like a bitch.

...and how does the game Beef Drop fit into all this?

From my experience, I would calculate pain like this(simplified): P = s (M² / T)

...where P (pain) equals the mass of the sheep squared divided by the thickness of my shoes, multiplied by the sharpness of his hooves. (as he stands on my foot and reaches while he tries to get food off me)

As you can see by my calculation, wearing no shoes and getting stepped on the toes by a heavy sheep with sharp hooves hurts like a bitch.

Anything that promotes killing animals fits into the equation I gave. You can use the same equation for the sheep causing pain to you. It's based on the nervous system. So if you felt a pinprick for 10 seconds then that would be pain intensity of that pinprick multiplied by 10 (or whatever time units you want to use).

Speaking of,

Vegetarian Mode 834

Back to Normal 123

April Fools Message 401

God Mode ??? ???

Thanks Ken.

Did you check to see if that vegetarian mode is present in Atari 800 8-bit version?

On the file/demo version the veggie mode turns the meat into lettuce, the atkins mode turns the baps into meat, the 401 message I'm guessing is to do with the U.S. pensions/tax ? I was expecting these modes to add a new type of filling etc so was just slightly dissapointed there are no extra graphics! I couldn't guess the I.P. or God mode codes. Nice game though :thumbsup:

On the file/demo version the veggie mode turns the meat into lettuce, the atkins mode turns the baps into meat, the 401 message I'm guessing is to do with the U.S. pensions/tax ? I was expecting these modes to add a new type of filling etc so was just slightly dissapointed there are no extra graphics! I couldn't guess the I.P. or God mode codes. Nice game though :thumbsup:

401 is just 4/01 (April 1st) for April fools day. The game was first released in early version on April 1st and the message was in the original release.

'Mirror' mode horizontally flips all the boards so it gives you a little bit of variation (on some boards more than others).

'More' modes gives you an additional 4 boards to clear after the original boards.

The game font and code is fairly full, there was not much room left for expansion. The computer version does have the screens compressed to free up enough space to store another font so the numbers and letters are a little more arcade like. If I had more space the onion would be in there. I also would like to update where the enemies spawn from when dropped to be like the arcade/7800 version.

Many of the codes to activate the extra features are in plain sight (sorta). The cheats require two codes and scores will be wiped on game over.

401 is just 4/01 (April 1st) for April fools day. The game was first released in early version on April 1st and the message was in the original release.

'Mirror' mode horizontally flips all the boards so it gives you a little bit of variation (on some boards more than others).

'More' modes gives you an additional 4 boards to clear after the original boards.

The game font and code is fairly full, there was not much room left for expansion. The computer version does have the screens compressed to free up enough space to store another font so the numbers and letters are a little more arcade like. If I had more space the onion would be in there. I also would like to update where the enemies spawn from when dropped to be like the arcade/7800 version.

Many of the codes to activate the extra features are in plain sight (sorta). The cheats require two codes and scores will be wiped on game over.

I would say putting an option to at least select Veggie mode would be an improvement rather than people having to guess or remember codes.

I would say putting an option to at least select Veggie mode would be an improvement rather than people having to guess or remember codes.

I thought the codes were in the manual with the cart but don't remember for sure. Also, just look at a telephone keypad and see what numbers you need to spell VEG ;)

Yes! I also am pretty sure that the codes are in the manual that came with the cart. The problem is finding the manual. It's around here somewhere. . . :)

I don't know how that game works but I meant some sort of startup option "Are you Vegetarian (Y/N)?" then it automatically goes into that mode. You know, sort of like detecting PAL/NTSC but it would be very hard to autodetect Vegetarian/nonvegetarian.

Yes! I also am pretty sure that the codes are in the manual that came with the cart. The problem is finding the manual. It's around here somewhere. . . :)

I don't know how that game works but I meant some sort of startup option "Are you Vegetarian (Y/N)?" then it automatically goes into that mode. You know, sort of like detecting PAL/NTSC but it would be very hard to autodetect Vegetarian/nonvegetarian.

You could have some sort of breathalyser required before the game starts ;)

Discussing this game is making me hungry!