IGNORED

FC3 Question.

My friend called me this morning and told me he was going to use some of his tax money to buy one of these FC3 systems(NES,SNES,Genesis).

And he wanted to know if he could use a Sega Power Base convertor to play Master System games on it and then this got me thinking could you use a 32X with it as well?

He said that he had watched a video showing them using a Super Gameboy and Game Genie with said unit and those worked fine but a SMS convertor and 32X are totally different beasts.

And yes he actually has a NES and SNES already but he figures the FC3 will save him space in his down stairs gaming area....Less wires and less mess i guess.

Any help with this would be great so thanks gang. :)

My friend called me this morning and told me he was going to use some of his tax money to buy one of these FC3 systems(NES,SNES,Genesis).

And he wanted to know if he could use a Sega Power Base convertor to play Master System games on it and then this got me thinking could you use a 32X with it as well?

He said that he had watched a video showing them using a Super Gameboy and Game Genie with said unit and those worked fine but a SMS convertor and 32X are totally different beasts.

And yes he actually has a NES and SNES already but he figures the FC3 will save him space in his down stairs gaming area....Less wires and less mess i guess.

Any help with this would be great so thanks gang. :)

I know the power base converter will NOT work.

The Master System used a Zilog z80 as it's main processor. The Mega Drive (genesis) used the same chip for it's sound output.

The PowerBase Converter used the existing Z80 chip in the MegaDrive (Genesis) to run the game code.... There will be no Z80 to use in the FC3.

It is possible that the 32X will work - as the 2 systems remain seperate with 2 pictures being combind to provide the video display. So I would imagine the problem with the 32X would be how to connect the 32X video cable to the FC3.

I will say this. Your friend may want to wait a few months. There may or may not be a similar product coming out in the next few months that is not made by Yobo and has quite a few improvements over the FC3.

Unfortunately I do not know if the PowerBase or 32X will work on the FC3. I would guess they would not, especially the PowerBase. To use the 32X would require some cable splicing I would imagine as well.

icon_love.gif

I will say this. Your friend may want to wait a few months. There may or may not be a similar product coming out in the next few months that is not made by Yobo and has quite a few improvements over the FC3.

Unfortunately I do not know if the PowerBase or 32X will work on the FC3. I would guess they would not, especially the PowerBase. To use the 32X would require some cable splicing I would imagine as well.

Damn just got one!icon_confused.gif

The PBC, 32x, and Virtua racing will not work due to missing connections on the cartridge port. (and lack of RGB+sync output in the 32x's case -necessary for the video mixing)

Since the FC3 uses a hardware ASIC and not emulation, it should have all the necessary components as a real MD, just implemented on a single chip. In fact, the final model MD/Genesis consoles (the VA04 revision model 2 and all model 3s) used a Sega designed ASIC which put the Z80+8k RAM, 68k, VDP, and sound chips all in a single ASIC.

TECTOY has their own ASIC for their later MDs/clones (not sure if it's based on SEGA's), and I'm almost positive most newer hardware clones use a layout based ont he TECTOY ones (similar bad external sound amp too, iirc), of course the few emulation based clones apearing of late are a bit different. (blaze/atgames MDs, and the firecore and retrogen) The FC3 (or at least 3+) uses a new ASIC from Yobo and a much better sound amp. (very clear audio, better than many model 2 MDs)

At least one common clone has Virtua racing (and probably PBC) compatibility, I think it's the GenX, but perhaps the GN-Twin.

Actually Virtua Racing (for Genesis) does work on the FC3.

Although it may have not worked on earlier versions of the FC3, I do not know for sure. Yobo has a habit of changing the hardware without letting anyone know and they don't seem to bother changing the model number either. For example: I believe the current FC Twin is more compatible than the original.

Edited by StoneAgeGamer

Although it may have not worked on earlier versions of the FC3, I do not know for sure. Yobo has a habit of changing the hardware without letting anyone know and they don't seem to bother changing the model number either. For example: I believe the current FC Twin is more compatible than the original.

ReviewTechUSA said that the FC3 Plus is compatible with Virtua Racing, however, nobody I've ever spoken to who own the FC3 Plus(new and old) has told me that Virtua Racing works on their FC3 Plus. Who purchased an FC3 Plus recently(new, not used)? I'd need to see the hardware for any difference between the newest FC3 Pluses and the older ones.

As for the FC Twin, the oldest version with no Yobo branding had many more issues than those with Yobo branding. It used the old NOAC with sound issues and has some really blurry Super NES video on top of discoloring certain graphics. The revision I have is close to perfect on the NES side(doesn't work with Castlevania III, Rad Racer II and After Burner work with graphical corruption) and pretty much a direct replica of the Super NES. A third revision exits where the Super NES board was redesigned to have the Super NES sound circuit on the Super NES board, and the NES sound circuit is a little bit screwed up because like the RetroDuo, the NES side has distorted sound, but not as bad as the DISASTROUS audio of the RetroDuo.

Did Yobo change the NOAC in the FC3 Plus, or is it still the old NOAC that doesn't sound right?

Yes ReviewTechUSA did show VR working on his FC3+ that's where I got my information from since he bought that FC3+ from me, which is from a batch I got in about 3 or 4 months ago. I was somewhat surprised when I saw this in his review because to my knowledge at the time VR did not work with any clone I have seen.

Oh, interesting. I was mainly commented based on discussions and reviews of the FC3 Plus, I'm not sure how that specifically compares with the FC 3... or is there no "FC-3"? (and this whole discussion is about the FC-3 plus)

• 2 weeks later...

For anyone thinking about buying one of these, I did an overview video of one I picked up new earlier today. Just click my YouTube link in my sig--it should be the second video available in my uploads tab (I would paste the link, but I am writing this from my phone).

Overall, I am not impressed. Unless you're extremely lazy, just get a 2-in-1 that is of higher quality (e.g., a FC Twin). :o

Edited by Austin

FC Twin won't work for Genesis games though... and the FC3 is the ONLY modern clone with decent sound and video output. (both are better than a lot of the official Sega models, except for RGB via SCART or s-video modded consoles -not to mention audio mods)

If Yobo could release a cheaper, genesis only clone (or Genesis+SMS clone -which should work unless they removed some SMS specific portions from the VDP block in their ASIC) with original controller ports (which no modern clone other than the crap @Games emuclone), that would be great. Probably appealing more to Europe for SMS though.

Edited by kool kitty89

FC Twin won't work for Genesis games though... and the FC3 is the ONLY modern clone with decent sound and video output. (both are better than a lot of the official Sega models, except for RGB via SCART or s-video modded consoles -not to mention audio mods)

If Yobo could release a cheaper, genesis only clone (or Genesis+SMS clone -which should work unless they removed some SMS specific portions from the VDP block in their ASIC) with original controller ports (which no modern clone other than the crap @Games emuclone), that would be great. Probably appealing more to Europe for SMS though.

The problem with that is that only the SNES portion of the FC3 has decent sound and video output. It's nearly flawless, from what I can tell. However, the picture on the Genesis side is inferior to a real system, as is the quality and capability of the sound. The NES really gets the short end of the stick on this system, which is the most surprising part. There is a noticeable humming sound in the background, the volume is very low, the display is blurry, and the sound is absolutely butchered to the point where instrument sounds actually come out differently now than on a real NES system, or even the FC Twin (see video for a live demonstration).

The thing is, yes, it's nice to have all three consoles in one, but for the exact same price, you can get a used Genesis system and a brand-new FC Twin (which emulates the NES portion with *much* greater accuracy, let alone also allowing you to use SNES controllers). The sad part about the FC3 is that its capabilities are much worse than the (older) FC Twin, and the lack of being able to use at least one of the three system's accessories surely doesn't make it any better. All in all, if you are a casual gamer that's just looking to have easy access to each of these three systems, the FC3 will do the trick. However, if you want faithful reproductions in the clone form, you are better off avoiding it and going the suggested route above.

Edited by Austin

The problem with that is that only the SNES portion of the FC3 has decent sound and video output. It's nearly flawless, from what I can tell. However, the picture on the Genesis side is inferior to a real system, as is the quality and capability of the sound. The NES really gets the short end of the stick on this system, which is the most surprising part. There is a noticeable humming sound in the background, the volume is very low, the display is blurry, and the sound is absolutely butchered to the point where instrument sounds actually come out differently now than on a real NES system, or even the FC Twin (see video for a live demonstration).

Video and sound compared to which model? Tons of Genesis versions have mediocre composite video output (mainly model 2s) and many also have the "rainbow banding" artifacting issue. (common among several other systems using similar encoders, like the Neo Geo)

The FC3 plus seems to have better sound than anything except the early model 1s (pre VA7) and possibly VA3/4 model 2s and the Genesis 3 (which is mono), plus the CDX, Nomad, and X'Eye which have good sound.

The sound and video is most definitely better than that of the bad (and very common) VA0/1.x/2 model 2s (bad video extends to the VA3 too). Again, with RGB this is a non issue. (or s-video mod, though the latter isn't possible with the crappy samsung video encoder)

hope it's better then the Yobo one...

Hope you could play your SNES pad with it

You can play your NES, SNES, and Genesis pads with it. It has 2 ports for each system on it.

Before this response, I was almost sure that Sega was going to finally release the Neptune with a Sega CD add-on.

hope it's better then the Yobo one...

Hope you could play your SNES pad with it

You can play your NES, SNES, and Genesis pads with it. It has 2 ports for each system on it.

Before this response, I was almost sure that Sega was going to finally release the Neptune with a Sega CD add-on.

Lol I wish. Unfortunately if this ever was to happen it would probably be made by AtGames, which means it would be junk anyways.

Edited by StoneAgeGamer