IGNORED

My Air Raid Auction Update

Tanman

$1200.00 to $1500.00 and Marc is correct. ;)

To be fair, the insert would cost extra, and the plastic tray holding the cart in place would cost even more. Especially if you were not able to find something "off the shelf" and had to have one designed and made from scratch. If you didn't already have a box die to use, you're looking at an additional several hundred dollars to have that created.

..Al

Also, I don't know how everyone else is doing moneywise, but i'm poorer than i've ever been. I wonder how much this would bring in better times? Or does it not really matter, since high-level 2600 collecting is such a small, focused market anyway?

That's a good point. For more common to semi rare stuff, it's been a buyers market around here since the economic down turn. However, I anticipate a bidding war among the few where the state of economy probably hasn't impacted their finances as much. Another point to consider... does this get enough attention such that people who have boat loads of cash but are in the fringes of collecting (or may not be big time atari collectors at all) start bidding? People with a lot of cash may bid on this "just because".

Edited by cybercylon
  • Like 1

$1200.00 to $1500.00 and Marc is correct. ;)

To be fair, the insert would cost extra, and the plastic tray holding the cart in place would cost even more. Especially if you were not able to find something "off the shelf" and had to have one designed and made from scratch. If you didn't already have a box die to use, you're looking at an additional several hundred dollars to have that created.

..Al

The insert looked to me like typical vacuforming. Any hobbiest can do it.

http://rcm.amazon.com/e/cm?lt1=_blank&bc1=000000&IS2=1&bg1=FFFFFF&fc1=000000&lc1=0000FF&t=atariage&o=1&p=8&l=as1&m=amazon&f=ifr&md=10FE9736YVPPT7A0FBG2&asins=B001N0K43E

I even have a kids version that made hot wheel sized car bodies. (I got it for my son, HONEST!)

It has a hand vacuum pump and used a light bulb to soften the plastic.

But since you are the person that actually held it, what would you compare it to?

• Like 1

$1200.00 to $1500.00 and Marc is correct. icon_wink.gif

..Al

I am quite sure that you can find some standard trays for the cart if you look hard enough and the paper tray can be done by hand. Woulld take quite some time but it's not impossible:)

wha the F ????

no posts in this thread for 3 hours.....i guess the air raid hype is over.

It's Saturday and some people are outside having fun, or inside perhaps having fun. The weather is great outside! Plus, some people celebrate Easter so that could be interfering with their ability to browse and post on their favorite website..

..Al

wow, finally found. That's awesome :-) I hope this goes for more than that stupid nintendo thing that there are like 100 of. Hope it makes the news too :-)

you mean stadium events in which nintendo changed the name to world class track meet and pulled all stadium events copies off shelves to avoid confusion.this is true.

wow, finally found. That's awesome :-) I hope this goes for more than that stupid nintendo thing that there are like 100 of. Hope it makes the news too :-)

you mean stadium events in which nintendo changed the name to world class track meet and pulled all stadium events copies off shelves to avoid confusion.this is true.

That's what he said "stupid nintendo thing"...

• Like 1

wha the F ????

no posts in this thread for 3 hours.....i guess the air raid hype is over.

It's Saturday and some people are outside having fun, or inside perhaps having fun. The weather is great outside! Plus, some people celebrate Easter so that could be interfering with their ability to browse and post on their favorite website..

..Al

Plus, the iPad just came out today, so everybody is probably playing with those right now.

It still baffles me that there are less than 20 known copies of this game. It makes me wonder if there is a warehouse full of them. What would be the point of importing less than 20 Air Raid games from Taiwan, and have them appear in random places in America. If it was a contest prize, a mail-in order only, or something else, it would make a lot of sense. But the game having what appears to be an "actual release" just makes me wonder if there is more.

If a warehouse is found that has a bunch of them, I got dibs on one!

It still baffles me that there are less than 20 known copies of this game. It makes me wonder if there is a warehouse full of them. What would be the point of importing less than 20 Air Raid games from Taiwan, and have them appear in random places in America. If it was a contest prize, a mail-in order only, or something else, it would make a lot of sense. But the game having what appears to be an "actual release" just makes me wonder if there is more.

Just because less than 20 are known to be in collector's hands does not mean that many hundreds or thousands were not available for sale. This is true for just about any game--there are always going to be more copies of games out in the wild than are directly accounted for. I doubt we'll ever know how many copies of Air Raid were produced. Heck, we don't even have that information for common Atari 2600 games.

There are more Air Raids out there waiting to be discovered, maybe even boxed copies. :D

..Al

Just because less than 20 are known to be in collector's hands does not mean that many hundreds or thousands were not available for sale. This is true for just about any game--there are always going to be more copies of games out in the wild than are directly accounted for. I doubt we'll ever know how many copies of Air Raid were produced. Heck, we don't even have that information for common Atari 2600 games.

There are more Air Raids out there waiting to be discovered, maybe even boxed copies. :D

..Al

My gut feeling remains remains... that there was probably a pretty low "print run" on this game... maybe no more in the range that you mentioned. Wonder how many would have simply gotten pitched over the years between the video game crash and before collecting really started.

Edited by cybercylon

I'm guessing because of the time period and the fact this game didn't appear to sell well that records don't really exist anymore for this company? Would be cool if someones detective work paid off someday. After working in retail and manufacturing my experience tells me that whatever didn't sell was probably destroyed. That's the cheapest way out and if no one wanted to buy it why would some one keep it, storage, space and all for a company that seems to have quickly gone out of business. A small company couldnt afford to make a ton to begin with, looks at the costs the homebrewer's have to put up now to put a game out there and the limited runs they have. Ultimately that's why this is rare. IMHO.

Still strikes me as funny that many of the rare games worth so much money are because they were not fun and no one wanted them to begin with! Hey hot girl back in High School, I'm rare now you should want me. Oh wait your fat with a bunch of kids now :)

I'm most impressed that Tanman kept the box, I know as a kid the boxes were immediately in the garbage. The good stuff was in the inside like a candy bar, I would never keep the wrapper lol.

I also agree with a previous poster about including letter/pics/signatures to build a whole story to this sale. I love classic gaming because of the history, marketing, box art, besides the fun to play. Even if another box is found, this is THE FIRST and you cant take that special part way ever.

Edited by coyo5050

I'm guessing because of the time period and the fact this game didn't appear to sell well that records don't really exist anymore for this company? Would be cool if someone would be able to do some detective work.

This is/was one of the biggest mysteries/debates in the Atari community, believe me people have tried to find info on this game for years.

I'm guessing because of the time period and the fact this game didn't appear to sell well that records don't really exist anymore for this company? Would be cool if someone would be able to do some detective work.

This is/was one of the biggest mysteries/debates in the Atari community, believe me people have tried to find info on this game for years.

Very true, I edited it since what I was trying to say didnt come out quite right ;)