IGNORED

moving stuff from laptop to myide hard drive

19Echo

so i setup 2 partitions on a 3 gig drive for my 800xl I would like to move some atr files using my sio2pc cable and APE software from my pc to there.

WHAT EXACTLY DO I DO.......

I cannot find any clear cut instructions for this.

please help

If your two partitions are D1 & D2 then make APE drive D3:

if using Mydos then option 'C' (copy) D3:[PATH]filename.xxx,D1:[PATH]filename.xxx

if using Mydos then option 'C' (copy) D3:[PATH]filename.xxx,D2:[PATH]filename.xxx

Else

More info

Endif

so i setup 2 partitions on a 3 gig drive for my 800xl I would like to move some atr files using my sio2pc cable and APE software from my pc to there.

WHAT EXACTLY DO I DO.......

I cannot find any clear cut instructions for this.

please help

I found the easiest way to set up a MyIDE device was to connect the drive to a PC (an IDE to USB adapter works well). You can then some of Shawn Jefferson's fine tools to configure and copy files to it.

MyIDE Tools

Using the MyIDE + Flash 1mbit flash care &ide interface with an ibm laptop hard drive attached to it.

Also have an SIO2PC cable hooked up to the 800xl to rs232 port of a compact laptop that has APE loaded. The Myide cart i bought in 2007 just before getting deployed again... so i never got around to using it. This is what i did:

1. copied mydos 4.53 in partition 1 of the hard drive.

2. Drive 2 is formatted.

Have Ape loaded and ready to go. will be using drive 3

1. what do i put in drive 3?

2. when i turn on the atari, do i leave the cart in it?

3. if i leave the cart in it. do i hit control + shift + D to diable it?

4 if i do that do what do i do next?????

myxxx.atr

Yes

No

Option 'Q' make directory--- D2:GAME

Option 'R' set path----------- D2:GAME

Option 'C' copy files---------- D3:*.*,D:*.*

This will setup a directory on D2: as GAME and copy all files from D3: to this directory --- IF you have a large partition.

Do this same procedure with other atr's that you have for basic files, utility files, etc..

Hopefully you have set your partitions to be 65535 so that you will have full use of the capacity.

Get 'MYPDOS' from the atarimax forums for a nice menu driven utility..

Good Luck!

• Like 1

myxxx.atr

Yes

No

Option 'Q' make directory--- D2:GAME

Option 'R' set path----------- D2:GAME

Option 'C' copy files---------- D3:*.*,D:*.*

This will setup a directory on D2: as GAME and copy all files from D3: to this directory --- IF you have a large partition.

Do this same procedure with other atr's that you have for basic files, utility files, etc..

Hopefully you have set your partitions to be 65535 so that you will have full use of the capacity.

Get 'MYPDOS' from the atarimax forums for a nice menu driven utility..

Good Luck!

yup,

That did it!! That little piece of the puzzle was the missing link for me. And as i said, i couldnt find any documentation to fully explain that part. one last question on this though is that when i list the directory of the game folder, is there a command to pause the list? it scrolls thru pretty quickly with all those files in that folder.

And on a side note, i cant get my wife to quit playing ms. pacman now.....

That did it!! That little piece of the puzzle was the missing link for me. And as i said, i couldnt find any documentation to fully explain that part. one last question on this though is that when i list the directory of the game folder, is there a command to pause the list? it scrolls thru pretty quickly with all those files in that folder.

If you are going the "XEX" games on a large partition route, the best "DOS" to use for that is MyPicoDOS. You can search for it with google, or on the AtariMax forums. There are also a few pre-rolled 16MB ATRs full of games that people have contributed on AtariMax. That's a pretty nice way to go, and quick to load.

Personally, I prefer the ATR/Image Space method, with a custom MyIDE OS that just runs the first image slot (which contains tools that I wrote for MyIDE) when START is pressed at boot.

Speaking of tools, I really need to get around to releasing the latest versions that have been further optimized and bug-fixed (and new bugs introduced no doubt! :P )

yup,

And on a side note, i cant get my wife to quit playing ms. pacman now.....

CTRL + 1 This will pause (toggle) screen scrool

Introduce the wife to Spelunker (the cave)..,or ........any other fun game.

Have just one more question about this and ill leave you guys alone on this subject :ponder:

I was trying to copy a game called "The lurking Horror" (2 disk) atr to its own directory, but it doesnt seem to allow it. Is it a copyright issue?

Have just one more question about this and ill leave you guys alone on this subject icon_ponder.gif

I was trying to copy a game called "The lurking Horror" (2 disk) atr to its own directory, but it doesnt seem to allow it. Is it a copyright issue?

I think that is a Infocom text game. And should be a boot disk without a directory to copy. And since it is a two disk volume, I would put it in the IMAGE SPACE of your hard drive. READ more of the Forums at www.atarimax.com the MYIDE section, and other Document threads.

Not a copyright issue, but Partitions are for Directories and Files. Atr's that are Bootable should be put into image space.

ASK this same question on the atarimax forums.. you need to be a registered user and logged in to download and view some of the content.

****NOTE:****

Be carefull about copying files to a partitions, folders. DOS.SYS AND DUP.SYS should never be copied to the bootable D1: partition...

Have just one more question about this and ill leave you guys alone on this subject icon_ponder.gif

I think that is a Infocom text game. And should be a boot disk without a directory to copy. And since it is a two disk volume, I would put it in the IMAGE SPACE of your hard drive. READ more of the Forums at www.atarimax.com the MYIDE section, and other Document threads.

Not a copyright issue, but Partitions are for Directories and Files. Atr's that are Bootable should be put into image space.

ASK this same question on the atarimax forums.. you need to be a registered user and logged in to download and view some of the content.

****NOTE:****

Be carefull about copying files to a partitions, folders. DOS.SYS AND DUP.SYS should never be copied to the bootable D1: partition...

posted this on atarimax forums, but seems like no one browses those.

Im hoping someone can answer this about setting up the disk image on myIDE.

So heres what i did:

Have 2 partitions set already D1 size (65535) D2 size (65535) D1 has Mydos 4.53 already installed.

1. turn on computer

2. Selected option 3 (fire) Maxflash

3. selected option B (Mr. Atari's Fdisk)

4. select I (Image)

5. Cyl, HiByte opens up. I select 1 as the option.

6. S/M Density opens up. I select M as the option.

7. Type E for exit

8 Select save.

9. Computer then boots with: 0001<CBN>

10. open up APE and place ATR file in Disk 1 (using sio2pc cable)

11. used joystick to highlight >

12. pressed fire button.

13.computer ask "are you sure" I type Y

14. computer then starts blinking and flashing.

15. Computer then stops and i move cursor to highlight B and press fire.

16. Screen blinks once then goes and stays black until i reboot.

17 when i reeboot it goes straight into: 0001<CBN> and no does.

18. I then have to go into fdisk and remove image and reboot computer for it to get back to flash menu where i can select option 0 to get dos running again.

19. what am i doing wrong.

posted this on atarimax forums, but seems like no one browses those.

Im hoping someone can answer this about setting up the disk image on myIDE.

So heres what i did:

Have 2 partitions set already D1 size (65535) D2 size (65535) D1 has Mydos 4.53 already installed.

1. turn on computer

2. Selected option 3 (fire) Maxflash

3. selected option B (Mr. Atari's Fdisk)

4. select I (Image)

5. Cyl, HiByte opens up. I select 1 as the option.

6. S/M Density opens up. I select M as the option.

7. Type E for exit

8 Select save.

9. Computer then boots with: 0001<CBN>

10. open up APE and place ATR file in Disk 1 (using sio2pc cable)

11. used joystick to highlight >

12. pressed fire button.

13.computer ask "are you sure" I type Y

14. computer then starts blinking and flashing.

15. Computer then stops and i move cursor to highlight B and press fire.

16. Screen blinks once then goes and stays black until i reboot.

17 when i reeboot it goes straight into: 0001<CBN> and no does.

18. I then have to go into fdisk and remove image and reboot computer for it to get back to flash menu where i can select option 0 to get dos running again.

19. what am i doing wrong.

#6 should be S or return for default

#15 should be --Computer then stops and i move cursor to highlight N and press fire and type Lurking one.

#15a should be --Move cursor with joystick to 0001 press stick up or down until 0002 is visable. then do #11,#12,#13

Repeat #15 to highlight N '''''''''''''''''''''''' type Lurking two.

16 Reboot after installing images.

Then do your 15 highlight B and press fire. When the booted progam ask for Disk #2 press SHIFT+CTRL+2

i should be in front of my setup to get this exactly correct, but there should be lots of threads at Atarimax forums to read for more help.

there is an option in Fdisk to not boot images, then you have to boot with the Start key held down to get the images prompt.

Good Luck, I haven't use my AtariMax MyIDE setup for over a year, since I got a SIO2SD.

• Like 1