IGNORED

Ridge Racer 6 - any good?

FujiSkunk

Saw this one for cheap, and thought about picking it up, but then decided I better ask first. I was a big fan of the first Ridge Racer and the other PlayStation1 titles in the series are not without their charm, but it seems the series has fallen more into generic racing, without anything to really recommend it over other series.

I've got plenty of games to keep me busy already, so it's not like I'm hurting for something to spend time and money on. I'm just curious if there is any of the original magic in this one.

Thoughts?

I bought it on launch day and enjoyed it quite a bit. Then again, I was also a big fan of Ridge Racer V on the PS2 and was hoping for a proper sequel. While the visuals weren't a major step up from prior XBOX games, it does have the standard, quality Namco arcade look and feel, as well as their trademark, slick Ridge Racer style and interface. If you like fast-paced arcade racers, this one should keep you occupied for a while--if not at least provide you a good pick-up-and-play experience--especially at that price-point (Some of us paid the $40 - $60 on launch day for this one :D).

Edited by Austin

It's not a great way to spend five dollars. I played the PS3 version and it's pretty much exactly the same as the PSP game that was released a couple of years before. It's pretty, but the gameplay is rigid, dated, and not nearly as fun as Burnout 3, which you may also be able to get for five dollars.

It's not a great way to spend five dollars. I played the PS3 version and it's pretty much exactly the same as the PSP game that was released a couple of years before. It's pretty, but the gameplay is rigid, dated, and not nearly as fun as Burnout 3, which you may also be able to get for five dollars.

Aw, shucks. I liked the PSP version and all of the others as well. I think they are lighthearted, fun, arcade racing that's a throwback to simplicity now missing from so many racing games...

Thanks for the opinions, everyone. It sounds like this isn't a title I have to rush out and buy, but if I find myself in GameStop again, and happen to see that one still on the shelf, I just might grab it, if only to satisfy my curiousity.

One thing that really made the original game was the music (except for the dreadful "Rotterdam Nation"). That will be the hardest to recapture.

Edited by FujiSkunk

Thanks for the opinions, everyone. It sounds like this isn't a title I have to rush out and buy, but if I find myself in GameStop again, and happen to see that one still on the shelf, I just might grab it, if only to satisfy my curiousity.

One thing that really made the original game was the music (except for the dreadful "Rotterdam Nation"). That will be the hardest to recapture.

I through in my 2 cents here....

I love the Ridge Racer series.

You have to take it for what it is... an acrade racer. It is definitely worth $5.

I love arcade racers, like San Fransisco Rush, Daytona, Burnout, etc... They are great pick up and play games that you don't have to worry spending alot of time to upgrade your cars and such.

Bottom line...

For 5 bucks, I'd buy it.. if I didn't already have it.

-Lee

It's a decent game, Ridge 7 is better but that requires a different console. Sure, it's a lot like the PSP game in hi def with new tracks but, well, that's what you want isn't it?

It's Ridge Racer and therefore unique and excellent.

It's a decent game, Ridge 7 is better but that requires a different console. Sure, it's a lot like the PSP game in hi def with new tracks but, well, that's what you want isn't it?

It's Ridge Racer and therefore unique and excellent.

I was wondering why you didn't chime in earlier. I know you are Ridge Racer fan like me :-)

I have it on the PS3 because... well it was cheap and I like Ridge Racer.

-Lee

• 2 weeks later...