IGNORED

SIO2SD/XM301 Case Conversion

flashjazzcat

It's just a bare-bones job, much as the pics/video on the homepage http://afs.atari.org/sio2sd.htm

I've got this Ferrera Rochet clear chocolate case that I've been saving to do something with... kinda thinking of giving it a temporary home inside of it.

It's roughly the same dimensions as the XM301, except about twice as tall.

Looking forward to starting the 1064 version:

post-21964-127983678825_thumb.jpg

The good thing about these cases is there's loads of room inside. I decided to follow the example of another modder and scavenge the console keys from a dead XL keyboard. The blanking plate will go over the back pass-thru slot, and will have apertures cut for 1 x SIO pass-thru connector and 1 x male RS232 serial port (connected to an internal SIO2PC). The aperture at the front will be covered by a brown plastic panel, custom cut to size, with read, write, and error LEDs (possibly also a power LED; there's plenty of room), and the SD card slot. The SD connector will have to be remotely wired to the PCB, which is going to sit at the left hand side of the case, out of the way of the buttons, LCD, and molex.

Since the original badge was ruined, I've luckily obtained several custom cut strips of .18mm aluminium foil (kindly produced by an eBay seller who cut them for me for a fiver) with which to experiment with toner transfer of a suitable logo. The unit will have the usual rat's tail SIO cable, since there's not room on the back I/O panel for 2 x molex connectors plus the RS232, and I really want the latter on this one. The LCD (the last from my spares box) is blue, which is bound to look good.

Hope to get this finished at the weekend.

Edited by flashjazzcat

I'm looking at key options... I've got the remote from my LG TV which died but aside from the arrow buttons which are curved, the rest are small and round. Likely option if using them would be to just use the rubbery keys to depress momentary switches mounted on a PCB hidden under the cover.

Another thought I had is to use keys from an old keyboard but they're kinda big plus have about 3 times more travel than you'd want.

Option 3,4 etc. I've got this cheap crap USB PS1 controller clone which I might look into. In fact, I've still got several of the old gameport type controllers for the PC, so might see if they have anything I'd use.

Edited by Rybags

The thing is, the 1064 falls into the category of "Pretty, but redundant Atari peripherals".

A pair of 4464 RAM chips are a drop-in 64K alternative with 20 minutes extra work thrown in.

So really, the 1064 is more historical and collectable interest than being of much practical value.

I just realised - old mobile phones, and I've got an ancient IBM Thinkpad.

The Thinkpad has nicely sized Function Keys with very little travel and a good feel to them.

I like the idea of using the 1064 for an SIO2SD - I never liked mixing and matching the different case styles between the different "generations" of the 8bits. since I have an 800xl, I would rather go the 1064 route. I used a 1030 for my SIO2PC to keep it in the same style. I love these 301 mods, but it only looks right to me if you have it sitting next to an XE...

I can see the XM301s because there are a lot more of them and their not really usable (if you want Atari Dial-up you could use an SX212), but I have many 600XL's and the 1064 is a nice upgrade. The problem is the little retaining tabs break off. I think if someone wants to cut one up they should use one that the tabs are broken on and leave the good ones for their original purpose.

I can understand you would want it for an upgrade, but really - that big honkin' thing sticking out the back? You might as well replace the 600XL with an 800XL at that point. And as previously stated, its an easy enough task to just upgrade the memory internally. Plus, I'm not sure, but is the 320 upgrade being sold here compatible with a 600XL? I am using it on my 800XL and it's sweet - almost no footprint, and you get 320K instead of just 64...

Surely the 1064s are all useless now. If I had one with the guts intact I'd still cut it up for this project (as it happens, mine was donated as a "shell").

Another thought I had is to use keys from an old keyboard but they're kinda big plus have about 3 times more travel than you'd want.

They do have more travel than one might like but on the other hand this is intended to be an indefinable mixture of clunky old technology and modern convenience. No button style I could think of will tie this unit in visually with a 600/800XL than the big aluminium topped console keys (which are conveniently the exact same height at the aluminium badge). The XL is all square edges so round buttons wouldn't look right; I didn't want to drill round holes into the case, nor was I especially keen to put round buttons along the aluminium badge. Hopefully with the chunky buttons, it will have an authentic feel to it.

The drawback to using the big buttons is that an XL keyboard has to be trashed. I also require brown and cream plastic panels which will probably have to be derived from the same beleaguered machine.

• 3 weeks later...

An update on the first of my XL-style conversions, which should be finished this evening:

post-21964-128162458275_thumb.jpg

The button mount is made from a PC drive bay blanking plate cut in half. The flat edge is a perfect base for XL console keys.

post-21964-128162458577_thumb.jpg

This has the pass-thru, and there's enough space on the I/O backplate for a built-in SIO2PC or some such.

post-21964-128162457557_thumb.jpg

With the top cover on.

post-21964-128162457917_thumb.jpg

The SD card and LED fascia, cut from an old XL case. The orange (read) LED was carefully chosen to match the 1050, as was the large power LED.

I have pre-cut aluminium to make a new badge, although I'm not yet sure how I'll affix the logo (probably "ATARI SIO2SD").

An update on the first of my XL-style conversions, which should be finished this evening:

1. You're a man of many talents. I'm absolutely hopeless now in consideration of recreating one of your creations.

2. You know you must make a beige variant now to match the 400/800, right? :)

3. Would 1030 modem (or 835 for beige) work well and be more available than 1064 case? Well, maybe 835 ain't so common.....

Problem is... what beige periperal can be sacrificed?

850 a bit too big, plus worth too much to just scrap... although maybe the SIO2SD could just fit inside one.

410 too big. Accoustic modem probably a collector's piece and shouldn't be modified.

How about the CX-85 Keypad - there's a match, size not too big, although you'd probably need to hack it to fit the LCD, and will need to find filler for the other gaps left.

Would 1030 modem (or 835 for beige) work well and be more available than 1064 case? Well, maybe 835 ain't so common.....

I think they're pretty big cases, but I'm sure it would work. The 1064 is very rare: mine was kindly donated (minus the innards).

Anyway, I finished it today (except for the badge which I'm still working on):

post-21964-128173160439_thumb.jpg

It works a treat, too:

Once I'd screwed the case together, I was horrified to find that the buttons seemed to be mounted too high. Then I realized that with no PCB as a stand-off, the screws were warping the case when tightened. I just put some washers in and everything straightened up.

Other challenges were remotely wiring the SD card slot: I hadn't left any room at the back of the connector, so I had to run wires from the 11 connections at 180 degrees towards the front of the case, then route them along to the PCB.

I was worried that the XL console keys would have too much travel, but they feel great. Very tactile.