IGNORED

SIO2SD/XM301 Case Conversion

flashjazzcat

Well - I've hit problems with the latest build again. Phil wanted a 20x2 LCD so I ordered one from Hong Kong in January while I worked on other things. Of course, the mistake I made was assuming the thing would work. I finally wired it up last night - as the 1064 build entered the "glue it all together" stage - to find the backlight doesn't work. Now, these things have a standard 16 pin arrangement (although the SIO2SD doesn't use pins 7-10 as it drives the screen in 4-bit mode), and the 20x2 LCD even helpfully has all the pins labelled on the back of the LCD. I can't see how I could have the anode and cathode reversed: I've measured +5v across the actual legs of the LED, but it's not producing any light.

Any suggestions before I bin it and order another? I can't even remember which dealer I bought the damned thing from...

Heh... take your time about it. I'm in no major hurry to do this again. :)

OK: I need some quick, basic electronics advice here. This is the SIO2PC board in Phil's 1064

post-21964-0-15352800-1301843534_thumb.jpg

Now, I have four LEDs on the front of the case: a large red power LED (matching the XL), and SIO2SD read, write and error LEDs. I rather think the error LED might be better purposed as a general I/O indicatior for the SIO2PC, though. Using the illustration above, how might I accomplish this with a few wires? I assume the TX and RX lights very much depend on which kind of SIO2PC cable one's using... although, this being a USB interface...

Anyway: we have only one spare light on the fascia, so input/output need not be separate. I just want a light to flash when USB activity is taking place.

Edited by flashjazzcat

It's an idea: a friend and I discussed that very thing last year when we were designing custom boards.

But I want to get this job wrapped up today. :) I just lack the knowledge to know what needs to be wired up so that reads and writes both illuminate the same LED.

Absolutely not. Bi-color LEDs typically have a common CATHODE and separate ANODES for each of the colors (three leads total). Common ground, separate signals, in other words. Connecting both TX and RX signals to a single anode would short out the circuit.

There are several different variations of bi-color LED's. Most common is common-cathode but also common-anode exists. Another variant has 4 leads, so separate cathodes/anodes for each color. Again another variant has only 2 leads and changes color by reversing polarity.

Yeah - it's a nice idea, but the LEDs aren't so cheap. Well - from what I can see, the RED/GREEN ones are cheap... couldn't find any nicer colours so far.

I suppose if the two devices were working at the same time, you'd get a mixture of the two colours (?). Green and Red would be yellow. :)

There are several different variations of bi-color LED's. Most common is common-cathode but also common-anode exists. Another variant has 4 leads, so separate cathodes/anodes for each color. Again another variant has only 2 leads and changes color by reversing polarity.

It is easy enough to adapt a common anode bi-color LED to work instead of a common cathode version or vice versa, as long as the LEDs signal sources are TTL level they can be inverted before attaching to the LEDs signal terminals.

Reverse polarity bi-color LEDs are basically 2 normal LEDs connected anode to cathode, connect pullup resistors to both terminals to supply power/current as needed. This operates similar to the common anode LED, requiring a low signal at an LED terminal to activate the desired color. The following web-page show such a circuit, the circuit also combines the LED outputs with clock signals using NAND gates which wouldn't be needed/wanted in normal use.

http://www.play-hookey.com/digital/experiments/bicolor_led.html

According to this web-page, http://www.kpsec.freeuk.com/components/led.htm, there are some common-cathode LEDS sold as tri-color, the most popular color is red/green which combine to form yellow when both are on.

It's unfortunate that the most readily available bi-colour LEDs are in such unharmonious hues. This kind of thing is important to the aesthetic! :)

post-21964-0-58267400-1302011184_thumb.jpg

Case lid is not screwed down and is tilted forward slightly: the buttons are properly vertically centred when the lid is sitting properly.

post-21964-0-10940400-1302011186_thumb.jpg

The main problem I have with this conversion is that it makes my own 1064/SIO2SD look like a real POS in comparison! :D

• Like 1