IGNORED

Zoo Keeper

Chris Leach

So I started this thread with the attempt of finding the ROM for Zoo Keeper. Then I was clearly told I was stupid and it does not exist.???

If I so happen to have "Zoo Keeper" Playable on my computer via Rom using a Mame setup...does that not indeed mean I have found the Rom for Zoo Keeper...therefore it can be converted to an Atari cart if someone were to dump the rom?

Help me out here.....

Wait. You say you're playing it with MAME... do you mean you're playing the arcade game?

If I so happen to have "Zoo Keeper" Playable on my computer via Rom using a Mame setup...does that not indeed mean I have found the Rom for Zoo Keeper...therefore it can be converted to an Atari cart if someone were to dump the rom?

Even with a ROM image the conversion won't be so easy. A brief look at the service manual for the arcade cabinet tells me it has a 6802 and a 6809 microprocessor on the main PCB. Neither of those are directly instruction compatible with the 6502 (the processor in the 2600/7800). Plus you have to factor in the conversion between the display and sound hardware between the two machines as well. It'd probably be easier to write from scratch. Before you ask... I'm not volunteering ;).

In general, having the ROM for the arcade version of Zoo Keeper (which is what you have) will not make it any easier to convert the game to the Atari 2600. Even if the processors are the same, the architecture of the 2600 is wildly different than pretty much everything else out there, so any arcade ports of games to the 2600 will have to be written from scratch. The arcade (MAME) ROM may be useful to try and replicate (or at least understand) various algorithms in the original game, but that's really about it.

..Al

In general, having the ROM for the arcade version of Zoo Keeper (which is what you have) will not make it any easier to convert the game to the Atari 2600. Even if the processors are the same, the architecture of the 2600 is wildly different than pretty much everything else out there, so any arcade ports of games to the 2600 will have to be written from scratch. The arcade (MAME) ROM may be useful to try and replicate (or at least understand) various algorithms in the original game, but that's really about it.

..Al

Still no luck then.....but there is a way to mimic it if someone were to just rewrite a working copy of it....it could be playable on the Atari 2600...maybe even the 7800?

Back to the drawing board....icon_frown.gif

• 6 years later...

I'm surprised a proto or something has never surfaced. Maybe it didn't get past the drawing board?

Well, Graphics animations have surfaced and so has the sound effects and music so some progress was made

EDIT: just looked at AtariProtos.com and according to them the prototype was about 90% complete and more than likely playable.

Edited by Jumpman1981

A long time ago I ran across a video that I believe was posted somewhere on this page. I re-created the character animations the best that I could tell them and made them into a video. For the record, someone had already turned the Zelda graphic into an animated .gif, which I just used instead of trying to decipher myself. I would give better credit if I remembered where it came from. https://youtu.be/6xGtbs6UYG4

• Like 1