IGNORED

7800 - New graphics mode 160C

GroovyBee

Kind of off-topic, but may I ask where do you guys get Atari cases from?

Common and cheap 7800 carts are sacrificed for the cause.

Geez, really?! Sacrilege!!! :P

Ok, 2nd (and final) question, how much is "cheap"? (sorry for hijacking the thread...)

Ok, 2nd (and final) question, how much is "cheap"? (sorry for hijacking the thread...)

Like most things in life "it depends". You can either scour ebay for a job lot of carts or ask for donor carts in the market place. It depends how many you need and how quick you need them for your project.

Like most things in life "it depends". You can either scour ebay for a job lot of carts or ask for donor carts in the market place. It depends how many you need and how quick you need them for your project.

But then you still need to remove the labels, etc.

Ok, great, thanks!! :D

That's pretty impressive... now all we need is some emulator support for PAL blending.

I have looked at adding this to the ProSystem emulator. I haven't looked very far tho. Any good links would be appreciated.

Just reading up on PAL might give some insight.

But in an emulation context, you'd generally take the original colour/saturation of a pixel from the previous scanline, and average it with the current one.

Since we use shades of grey, the result is essentially pixels that are washed out, since white pixels don't have saturation value.

I'm not sure how blending among colour would work - it might be RGB interaction, or more likely is averaging between UV (of YUV). With APAC and similar modes (e.g. TIP), the luma lines are always shades of white.

Emulation for the A8 doesn't really reproduce the effect properly, but it's close enough. Looking closely on a CRT with a real machine, you can see the "dark colour only" lines but they're barely visible. Also, some APAC stuff will use luma value 0 for the colour lines, others use luma value 2.

I guess your best bet would be to (whether you find the true formula or not) try a few different algorithms. It might well be the case that you'd want to have more than one way of generating the effect.

I've got no problem if it was invented by an American though :) ( Colrview is a different technique though - which should be better on NTSC because of the faster refresh )

My point was that these sort of effects work just fine on NTSC, despite working even better under PAL.

A 7800 implementation of Colrview would certainly be interesting. The most common 8-bit .RBG pictures use the 160H-pixel mode, which provides only 4 levels per pixel of red, green, and blue, for a max 64-color display (well, less than that since black is the same color in all three palettes). But since the 7800 can manage 12 levels per scanline, that's a theoretical ~1728 color display.

Unfortunately Colrview sucks for pictures with large areas of solid primary color, since you get distracting "swimming" artifacts.

Have you guys tried doing a digitized photo using this mode?

In 160C, APAC or COLRVIEW? I tried an image of the Hulk way back, when I got the demo going and there weren't any artists aboard the project. It looked good because there is plenty of green in the palette (hence the reason it was the hulk ;)). I also tried the obligatory parrot picture too. It all depends on how the image is dithered. Do you have a particular image in mind?

In 160C, APAC or COLRVIEW? I tried an image of the Hulk way back, when I got the demo going and there weren't any artists aboard the project. It looked good because there is plenty of green in the palette (hence the reason it was the hulk icon_wink.gif). I also tried the obligatory parrot picture too. It all depends on how the image is dithered. Do you have a particular image in mind?

Yay a challenge!icon_mrgreen.gif

In 160C, APAC or COLRVIEW? I tried an image of the Hulk way back, when I got the demo going and there weren't any artists aboard the project. It looked good because there is plenty of green in the palette (hence the reason it was the hulk ;)). I also tried the obligatory parrot picture too. It all depends on how the image is dithered. Do you have a particular image in mind?

I'd love to see those images in a file.

Edited by DracIsBack

GroovyBee, you never cease to amaze me. You are leaps and bounds ahead of us on what you can make the 7800 do, and I'm almost embarrassed to call myself a 7800 developer now. :) (I mean that as a compliment).

BTW, thanks for mentioning me in that demo. That was very nice of you.

Amazing work, mate!

Bob