IGNORED

Discuss Atari History with Nolan Bushnell

Albert

Thank you Mr Bushnell for your leadership and inspiration! I enjoyed reading your stuff in Inc. magazine.

Did you ever think that people would be developing new games for the VCS 35 years after the project was begun?

A lot of people in this forum are collectors. Personally, I enjoy having enough choices that I know I'll never get bored. Do you keep a nice collection of Atari games? Is it mostly nostalgic, or do you just keep the games you play, or do you "collect and display" a set?

I mentioned it in the other thread, which was co-opted, but just wanted to reiterate that Gilbert Zapps was a REALLY fun place for me when I was young and single... Besides the video games, the chess board, dart board, and the little things like the rolling marble on two rods game added something. I liked how everything pretty much tried to involve two people. Was the intention to create a franchise for adults? or was it just a whim so you had a public place to spend some time with friends?

Just a thought that will probably get slammed into oblivion, but.. :-)

Any thoughts about making this a moderated (more so) thread. I can't follow the questions that have been asked already, most scrolling off..

Perhaps a situation where questions go to someone(s) in particular, and they put out a few at a time for Nolan to answer? Or ???

Just throwing that out there..

desiv

Mr. Bushnell, welcome to AtariAge! I just signed up this evening, too! I wanted to know how I could go about getting permission to use the Atari logo on my homemade covers? I have made the patterns, embroider the name and sew the cover out of a pleather material. Helps to save those consoles from all the disasters they might come in to! I really think it would be neat to have the official logo, if at all possible.

Thank you!

You need to get permission from Atari SA.

Actually, you'd have to do the license with Atari Interactive Inc. As the holding company of the Atari name and legacy properties, they're the ones that actually do the licensing deals. :)

I'm confused - doesn't Atari SA own Atari Interactive Inc?

I'm confused - doesn't Atari SA own Atari Interactive Inc?

Yes, but just as they own all the other "Atari's", that doesn't mean they're involved in that way with daily operations. Atari Interactive has it's own staff, CEO, legal department, etc. and they exist for the express purpose of working with and licensing out the original Atari properties. You can go to SA, but they'll just pass you off to someone at Atari Interactive anyways.

if you missed the special video cast with nolan last night, the show is currently replaying now.

I could not watch more than 5 minutes of that. It was like a CB radio. There has to be a better way.

if you went past the first few minutes, we started talking about stuff Atari and other items.

we discussed his past, why he didn't purchase atari after the jts merger, his take on the crash of'84 and if sees another one coming his favorite music.

and if atari is going to make another system (we also talked about CEC and Uwink)

He said during the end of the show he mentioned the following:

1. he wants to try to make most of the classic shows (VGS is a maybe so far)

2. want me to give him a list of shows coming that he can possibly attend.

3. and to set up another video cast with him in a couple months or so(this will be moved to stickam btw, so we can get a 6 person video chat going on stickam.com

a simlucast will also be done at ustream as well)

we discussed his past, why he didn't purchase atari after the jts merger, his take on the crash of'84 and if sees another one coming his favorite music.

and if atari is going to make another system (we also talked about CEC and Uwink)

3. and to set up another video cast with him in a couple months or so(this will be moved to stickam btw, so we can get a 6 person video chat going on stickam.com

Any chance of a transcript or a youtube of it or something?

Any chance of a transcript or a youtube of it or something?

Haha. Watching that reminded me of what happens when I try to voicechat with my parent over in Africa. I will try to do a transcript for the folks who would find one useful.

Here is half of the interview. I'm not the fastest typist, so it took me a while and I've run out of time tonight. This is just the first thirty minutes of the interview. I will post the entire transcript tomorrow when I finish it after work. Until then, enjoy.

thanks for doing that.

I was going to a transcript anyways but have been busy.

I will try to clean that up a bit as well.

as to you tube, I am going to try to get up in the AVC video room there.since it's over the limit

I have to rerecord it and post it in intervals.

I will do highlights for the ustream to help people understand what is about.

Funny,it took a somewhat HEATED thread to get the legends such as Mr.Bushnell to start posting here at AA.:) :thumbsup: I'm thankful for that,because having Mr.Bushnell here at AA is beyond amazing.

Edited by Rik

Here is half of the interview. I'm not the fastest typist, so it took me a while and I've run out of time tonight. This is just the first thirty minutes of the interview. I will post the entire transcript tomorrow when I finish it after work. Until then, enjoy.

Thank you! I don't feel left out anymore!

(Well, only half left out, anyway.)

Wow! I am posting in the same thread as the man himself! haha :cool:

Ok, here is my question. I have asked this before, but is there any chance that Atari will get back into hardware? By this, I mean game systems and personal computers.

At the moment, Atari makes some of my favorite games. I just think that if Atari made an attempt an their own system, there would already have a huge fan base to back it up! And with the Flashback 2+ (I really wat to get one! I have the flashback 1) it seems like Atari can do this.

I would REALLY like to see Atari computers come back into the mainstream. Most people think that Atari is dead and do not realize that Atari still makes some of the best games. If a new system were to be developed, I know a lot of programmers would be honored to work with it. I use my Atari 1040stf and 400 and 800xl and Portfolio for my homebrew programming just because they were revolutionary at their time. It would just feel so right to have a brand new Atari computer on my desk.

I can just see it now... A new computer that is not an IBM PC clone or a mac for once, but an ATARI! Part of the problem with the modern computer industry is that there is not enough competition and there are too many standards. I personally would trust Atari more than any other company to change this.

I think it's great that Mr. Bushnell has taken the time to post here and it's a testament to the hard work by the folks at AA that this website is even on his radar. I do think that we need to find a way to pare down the list of questions a little. I know everyone is excited about having Mr. Bushnell on the site answering questions, but the questions are piling up and are all over the board. Some of the questions could easily be answered with a little homework on the internet while others aren't even in the scope of his responsibility or previous responsibilities. I'm sure Mr. Bushnell would like to answer everyone's question, but I'm sure he's pretty busy and doesn't spend as much time surfing the forums as we do. I'm not sure if there's a way to do it, but it would be nice to moderate the questions and limit them to the ones that might answer some of the true mysteries about Atari in the early days. We just need to find a way to be respectful of Mr. Bushnell's time. Just my two cents and it's not directed at anyone specifically. :)

• Like 3

Welcome Nolan Bushnell, Hows your online gaming thing going with the 'battle swarm'...you made your millions from it yet

In relation to Atari SA...SA is basically an abbreviation for 'Société Anonyme' which is comparable to a publicly quoted/joint stock company (i.e a registered company listed/quoted on any recognized stock exchange or borse), i think it's mostly used by mainland European companies and companies with French origins, since the term 'SA' originates from France)

Very cool, I look forward to part 2.

First, I must start off by saying that it is an absolute honor to be addressing you directly, Mr. Bushnell. It speaks volumes to the sort of man that you are, that after all of your success and with your legendary status, you would spend time answering the questions of regular fans like us. It lets me know that you haven't forgotten how you got to where you are, and as a result you can count on my continued support in your future Atari ventures.

With that out of the way, I'm mostly curious as to how closely you followed the game industry in the large timeframe between your stints at Atari. Were you a Genesis man or a Super Nintendo man? Or were you into the more hardcore stuff, like the Saturn or the Neo-Geo AES (two of my favorite consoles)? Or how about the Dreamcast and Gamecube?

Also, I know this happened far after you left, but I figure I'll ask just in case you know the answer. As an avid Atari and Neo-Geo fan, I've often wondered about the long-standing internet rumors that Atari and SNK were going to collaborate on a more cost-effective version of the AES. Are you aware of any such plans, or would you be able to contact anyone who might be?

Thanks for your time,

Jason