ctirad

200 members have voted

1. 1. I'm interested in:

• RAM 320XL naked version
    • RAM 320XL full version
    • RAM 320XE
    • RAM 576+

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

My 320XL (all two of them), recently stopped working.

The latest thing I had been doing was adding in one of Lotharek's Stereo Paula boards. The first board appeard to be bad, but that did not stop my 320Xl's from working while it was in my system and after I had removed it.

I recently received my new Stereo Board and pretty much just had to solder the wires to the board then plug it into the socket as all the other soldering had been done before.

The strange thing now is that when I fire up my Atari with either of the 320XL's plugged in, the blue light comes on, then shuts off almost immediately. For a while the light was coming on, but I was getting garbage on the screen and could not boot.

Anyone got a clue as to what might be happening? They are also doing the same thing on my Atari 600XL.

Is your 600XL unmodified? If so you might have managed to kill the Xilinx chip on the RAM 320XL's or something. Was anything shorted when soldering in the stereo board? Any pins connected together unintentionally? If you ran the 5V wire in an 800XL are you certain you soldered it to the right pin on the PBI? Have you tried cleaning the pins on the RAM 320XL boards.... maybe a machine had a dirty PBI connector?

I'm not trying to be condescending and judge your soldering skills :-) I make plenty of mistakes here and there. So far the RAM 320XL I have has been pretty bulletproof.

What is the stabilization MOD? The one where you run a wire from the expansion port to a little spot behind the cart slot?

As for the 800xl, all looks fine and all connections do appear to be correct.

The 609 was modded by sloppy. He added a vbxe

Edited by Syfo-Dyas

http://www.mathyvannisselroy.nl/stabiliz.txt

http://www.mathyvannisselroy.nl/modstab3.txt

Those are the stabilization mods they were probably thinking of to get a stable PHI2 signal. Considering multiple RAM 320XL boards suddenly don't work across multiple machines..... doesn't sound too good. Not sure stability mods would help.

Are twin pokey boards known for causing severe timing problems?

Did the 320XL upgrade work with your 600XL before or is this the first time you tried after no luck on the 800XL? I don't have a VBXE but I heard they could also be set up as a RAM expansion. Not sure what sort of conflicts could be experienced there if any. I don't know much about the VBXE except that I want one.

Do you have any unmodified machines to test on?

Check the PBI connector on the Ram 320XL.

Sometimes the contacts can get stuck up inside the connector.

Also, with VBXE you should run in the other jumper position. The jumper was added so that Ram 320XL could run so that it only supplies extended Ram accesses, not all of them.

It used to work on the 600, but after they were plugged into the 800xl, no.

At present I have no other machines to test on. Perhaps I could mail them to someone for this purpose?

I could easily test one for you if you want..... I think we're both in the US so shipping would be pretty quick. On the other hand though you might want to talk to Ctirad too, he could probably help you out far more than I could. I could just tell you if it's working or not and maybe look for obvious damage to components.

Edited by kogden

It used to work on the 600, but after they were plugged into the 800xl, no.

At present I have no other machines to test on. Perhaps I could mail them to someone for this purpose?

you know my address ;')

sloopy.

Metal: Fear not, I put in good practice before taking this one on. :)

Here's what happened last night. I went home and took one of my 320XL's out of their casing and plugged it into the back of my 800XL.

At first the light on the 320XL stayed on, but the system would not boot, again it only showed graphical garbage or a black screen.

I removed it, tried the other, but the light on it went out immediately. I then put the other 320XL back on, but it's light went out too.

I then tried to boot the 800XL without the ram expansion, but I only got a black screen. I tried again, only to boot to a yellow screen, and then a blue screen, but with no cursor.

It stayed this way each time there after so I removed the Stereo MOD completely.

This resolved nothing.

I then went on to push all my chips down, rechecked my connects, and this and that, which in the end still did nothing.

I then decided to put the MOD back on and screw the case back together....

After this it began to work again, but only without the RAM expansion.

I have to admit that the symptoms I am experiencing sound a lot like those found in the stabilization MOD articles.

Sloopy, I'm going to send you a PM, maybe you might want to look at the whole unit for me?

kogden: Thank you for the offer, but let me check with sloopy first.

Kogden: Not a problem, I just went with sloopy because he's handy with the soldering iron. :)

For those reading, I did want to point out that this 800XL has a PAL Antic installed, though that has been in there for a while now and never effected the 320Xl before.

Kogden: Not a problem, I just went with sloopy because he's handy with the soldering iron. :)

For those reading, I did want to point out that this 800XL has a PAL Antic installed, though that has been in there for a while now and never effected the 320Xl before.

For the record, I'm good with an iron myself as well as IR and Hot air reflow equipment for surface mount work. In fact, it's part of what I do for a living.

What I don't have is in-depth knowledge of how a RAM 320XL expansion works or intimate knowledge of Atari internals (timings, etc) which is why Sloopy and/or Ctirad would be your best bet. If I remember right, it even emulates the PIA to a degree.

The PAL ANTIC shouldn't cause any problem.

--Kevin

Edited by kogden

For the record, I'm good with an iron myself as well as IR and Hot air reflow equipment for surface mount work. In fact, it's part of what I do for a living.

What I don't have is in-depth knowledge of how a RAM 320XL expansion works or intimate knowledge of Atari internals (timings, etc) which is why Sloopy and/or Ctirad would be your best bet. If I remember right, it even emulates the PIA to a degree.

The PAL ANTIC shouldn't cause any problem.

--Kevin

Some kids have all the cool toys :'(

sloopy.

I know it's after the fact but I was curious if the expansion was still available for purchase?

Just message ctirad. I bought one last month, so he may have more on hand.

Thanks MrFish.

tjb

• 1 month later...

I have still last 3 RAM320XL units left if someone is interested. One full with case and two bare.

Special offer: free sticker even for a bare ones ;)

The another good news are that I have finally enough time to produce the 320XE card and prepare some new projects from my TODO. Stay tuned!

• Like 2