IGNORED

EOTB playthrough

EricDeLee

It would be cool if you would record a little video on Youtube!

I'll try to give that a try... I'm not too good at that kind of stuff... but I'll work on it!

Has anyone tried this with an inexpensive off-the-shelf or laptop-built-in webcam? What did TailChao use for the full Zaku playthrough?

• 3 months later...

So what happened to this EOTB playthrough thread. I would like some strategy guides of how to set up a good party and some basic advice of how to survive...

--

Karri

Google answered this quite fast :)

I found a very nice set of original manuals (in color) and even a hint booklet at www.oldgames.sk

There is even a beautiful color map of the City of Waterdeep sewers :)

post-2099-12934473233_thumb.png

• Like 1

Yep... but the color map is what... 3 levels? I think the hand-drawn ones are only 5 levels.

There is a better map out there that details everything! ;)

BTW... the one part that I thought was not finished in the game is actually finished. I just could not figure out how to do it. The use of potions. I mentioned multiple times that I could not figure out how to use them. But they are easily used by placing the potions in the hand of the character in the action screen, rather than the inventory screen.

:)

Yep... but the color map is what... 3 levels? I think the hand-drawn ones are only 5 levels.

There is a better map out there that details everything! ;)

BTW... the one part that I thought was not finished in the game is actually finished. I just could not figure out how to do it. The use of potions. I mentioned multiple times that I could not figure out how to use them. But they are easily used by placing the potions in the hand of the character in the action screen, rather than the inventory screen.

I don't really want a solution-map that details everything. This 3-level color map might be just perfect. I can do my own markings using a pencil while I play the game.

I don't want spoilers, just a little nudge out of the door to get started on the quest.

--

Karri

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I think 5 people are checking it... so we are good. LOL

All in time my friend!

I am really happy that the new EOTB is based on EEPROM saves and not battery. This game seems to take ages to complete and it would be sooo frustrating if you could not save progress reliably. Besides a battery back-upped RAM is still sensitive to glitches etc. So you could easily lose your saves on a battery-based cart.

I dedicated my Lynx I to EOTB now and continue using my Lynx II for my cc65 compiler improvement experiments.

In February I will have some very long work trips coming up. Looks like my Lynx I will join me together with a pencil and some maps. This will be fun :cool:

--

Regards,

Karri

I think 5 people are checking it... so we are good. LOL

All in time my friend!

I am really happy that the new EOTB is based on EEPROM saves and not battery. This game seems to take ages to complete and it would be sooo frustrating if you could not save progress reliably. Besides a battery back-upped RAM is still sensitive to glitches etc. So you could easily lose your saves on a battery-based cart.

I dedicated my Lynx I to EOTB now and continue using my Lynx II for my cc65 compiler improvement experiments.

In February I will have some very long work trips coming up. Looks like my Lynx I will join me together with a pencil and some maps. This will be fun :cool:

--

Regards,

Karri

I'm very happy to hear that Karri!

I've dedicated my new Lynx II to playing EOTB when I started this playthrough.

I think that has been the only game in that system. LOL

• 3 months later...

Wow... this game is really getting difficult.

Where I have been used to exploring an entire level and not going to other levels until that level was completed... I now am at the point where I believe 3 levels are interchangeable. You have to adventure 3 levels deep to find the key for something on the 5th level, and so forth. Very interesting. The game is getting very deep, lots of great stuff (weapons, secrets, etc). I have not had time to figure out if the special quests were included on this games. Perhaps after I beat it I can recheck on the first level. I don't want to do it right now as I would hate to lose my saved game.

Some people may be wondering...

I am waiting on the boards right now, and they have been shipped. I anticipate they will be in soon. I am also waiting on final confirmation of my EPROM order. That shouldn't be an issue either. I don't think May 1st is doable... but it won't be too much longer... or so I would think. I do have a lot of work stuff going on, but I am determined to get this released in May.

Stay tuned.

(note... the screen caps were from actual hardware... and from Levels 7-9)

Edited by EricDeLee

For anyone worried... that perhaps the game wasn't complete being that no one has beat it on the Lynx...

Fear not... for I am a 'Hero of WaterDeep'.

I beat the game today... and this is basically by playing it NON-STOP for the past 2 weeks.

It is a VERY long game. I personally think the game is even longer... as I took different shortcuts toward the end and bypassed certain doors... which turned out to be a lucky guess. I chose not to take pictures of the last levels... as I didn't want to accidentally take pictures of spoilers or something. Beating this game gives you a sense of pride (like beating Metal Gear Solid for the first time... or perhaps even something like Final Fantasy 7)

So... all worries should be vanished!

Sidenote...

I did receive the EOTB PCBs yesterday!

I decided to follow-up on something and check to see if the Special Quest section is located in this game. I restarted the game and ran through Level 1 very quickly.

I found the spot for the Special Quest, and it indeed works. The screen has a pop up that says "Bonus Quest!" and it gave me a special item.

I think I'll use the walkthroughs for SNES version to help find the others.

So...it is indeed a complete game with basically everything being ported over.

But... as noted in a very good review a little while ago: the lack of an onscreen menu (while you are moving) actually adds a bit of claustrophobic touch to this game. To me it makes it more appealing.

After actually finishing this game... it really frustrates me that something like this was not released.

This isn't like the demo stuff that has been released recently where half of the stuff does not work. This isn't an Aliens vs Predator or a Daemonsgate where half of the game works and a different proto has another half working. This is a full blown RPG, 100% complete and hours and hours of fun. This is like Sony looking at Metal Gear Solid back in the PS One days and then basically deciding to NOT pulish it even though it was groundbreaking and was a system seller.

That's how I see EOTB. This thing really could have been a system seller for the Lynx. To see it squashed like that is simply mind boggeling. I can't imagine the meetings they had in order to basically say... we don't want to release this, or it can't be good for the system. Things like this revitalize sells... or so I would think.

When I compare this game to others on the Lynx, they all seem to pale in comparison to the last 6 months or so that I have spent with this game. I've put in about 50 or so estimated hours on this game. The only gripe I would have... I wish it would give you a map kind of like the one that is present in Daemonsgate. If they would just show you parts that you have been to on that map, it would be a much bigger help. If you lose your sense of direction in this game... you will be doomed!

But man... why Atari... WHY?

In my honest opinion...as biased as I may be... this is a MUST HAVE for the system. This blows the other MUST HAVES out of the water.

• Like 2

The reason there's no map system is I think essential to the game. At least, thats how I feel it should be played. Dungeon crawlers need a more planning than most other games, which I enjoy to the fullest. Anyway, if you are looking for a complete walkthrough (I admit I used it a few times), this website is a GREAT help. Its full of spoilers of course, so dont blame me :)

Link

• 10 years later...
On 4/1/2022 at 8:48 PM, JagChris said:

Well that's no good. Is there a rom available that supports saving?

The problem is that the hardware had a 16k non-volatile RAM chip that was used for saves. It used 64 byte blocks and behaved like the cart ROM.

So the image is ok but you lack the right hw.

• Like 2

On 4/1/2022 at 7:48 PM, JagChris said:

Well that's no good. Is there a rom available that supports saving?

there is a patched version which support saving in the emulator ...

which is quite useless, as the emulator anyway have a prompt save state feature :)

• Like 1