IGNORED

(Lynx) Othello

SwedenLynxer

Just have a little question about the name of this game. Is it Lynx Othello or just Othello?? It seems to be a bit confusion about the name. On the backside of the game box and on the game cartridge it says Othello. On the frontside of the box and in the instructions it says Lynx Othello.

On Songbirds and Good Deal Games homepages it is just Othello, on Atari Lynx FAQ Lynx Othello, Go Ataris homepage has both and so on.... :P

The official name should be "Lynx Othello" since just "Othello" is a registered trademark. By adding the "Lynx" in front of it, I believe I can still legally call it Othello instead of Reversi (which is a slightly different game). As far as getting people to be consistent - I tried and failed. You will also notice the trademark symbol on the static title page that somehow got changed to a copyright symbol in the documentation.

Thanks for the information :)

There are similar examples when the name in the documentation or on the box is´nt the same as on the title page or in the game. For example it says Tournament Cyberball on the box but on title page Cyberball 2072. World Class Soccer also has "Fussball" on the box. But I don´t think this helped Atari the sell more copys of this horrible game in Europe/Germany :x

And there is of course many Lynx games that once have a different name: Dinolympics was DinoQuest. Hyperdrome was Gridrunner. Ultravore was Ultra Vortex. And some games who changed in to something complete different like Remnant Planar Wars 3D or Ninja Nerd which became Fat Bobby.

The official name should be "Lynx Othello" since just "Othello" is a registered trademark.  By adding the "Lynx" in front of it, I believe I can still legally call it Othello instead of Reversi (which is a slightly different game).

I am curious. How is Reversi different from Othello? On some boards on the Internet, I see the game Reversi and on some I see Othello. I have played them both and the rules seem to be the same so I am wondering if perhaps there is something that I am not aware of.

Eric is making some really nice progress on Break for the Lynx. I've always wanted to do a Breakout clone, ever since I worked on Ponx way back when, but it's obviously never made it to the top of my priority list. ;) It's great to see some new developers in the Lynx hobby scene!

As for the LynxUK site, don't forget, you can visit web.archive.org and type in your old LynxUK URL, and it will give you access to at least some of the content you had there.

Yeah always nice to hear of new developers making new games/demos, lets hope some of them make it onto plastic!

Break looks great as i said before, used to love arkanoid/breakout and other clones.

The demo of a choplifter game someone was doing, i dont think he has done anything on it for over a year, but that would make a good handheld game.

As for the LynxUK site, have tried all the internet archive sites the problem is they cant load the java for the frames so the anything they have is a few telegames sales charts from a year or two ago, the only thing i savaged was the old logo!

I've learned my mistakes though, never touching geocities again! do all my html offline and is backed-up on my HD.