IGNORED

any ideas on finding these items in the UK?

Hi,

I'm trying hard to get my mint 1040ste up and running so I can tinker with it on weekends, etc. I'm missing a few things I'd like and was wondering if anyone knew where to find them?

I need:

4mb upgrade (ideally)

a cable to allow me to use my Philips CM8833-II monitor

one of those stands that allowed you to put the monitor above the machine but not block the disc drive - I am sure my old school friend had one that was Atari-made, or at least bundled with his ST when he bought it.

A Megafile or other HDD solution.

STE-compatible modem (and driver/software).

Oh and an idea of whether the discs available from www.floppydisk.com are any good - or a decent UK supplier so I an stockpile a bit!

I'd like:

A Falcon (have my eye on one, but unlikley at the silly money they go for at the moment, unless someone fancies swapping an old Mac and a couple of SGI workstations as part-exchange!)

A TT - seem to be rarer than Falcons...?

I'm not on a huge budget, but I am more concerned about the right upgrades, etc, for my machine as long as it's relatively simple, as I have neither the confidence or the time to start desoldering my motherboard, etc.

Om a total aside, does anyone know how I might get an STe onto a network, so that I might telnet into BBSes via a proxy, as opposed to dialling up with a modem, etc?

You could try asking on Atari Forum which is more ST/Falcon/TT and UK centric.

http://www.atari-forum.com

Not the response I had expected, but thanks for the tip! :-)

I have some suitable STE compatible SIMMs you can use kicking around from old Amiga 2000 expansion boards. I even have a couple of sets of 4 identical matched units.

I also have a 100mb ST hard drive or an actual Megafile 30 in box.

Can't really help you with the rest though sorry. And yes I am in the UK.

Edited by oky2000

I'm trying hard to get my mint 1040ste up and running so I can tinker with it on weekends, etc. I'm missing a few things I'd like and was wondering if anyone knew where to find them?

I need:

4mb upgrade (ideally)

You'll find those in old 386/486 PCs, usually, as the STE uses bog-standard 30-pin SIMMs with a max. capacity of 1 meg each. Other sources: eBay - just avoid those guys who sell them as an "STE RAM expansion" and ask premium prices for such common hardware. If you replace all four with the same type, you will also avoid problems with inserting them into the wrong socket (as a 16-bit computer, the SIMM slots of the STE are organized as two banks).

I'd recommend that other solution, e.g. a UltraSatan (they can be pre-ordered in this forum).

Any Hayes-standard modem will do, but as the STE only has a 19200 bps serial port, anything above that speed will not be used, except if you expand your STE (RSVE, ST_ESCC, RSFI, etc.).

A Falcon (have my eye on one, but unlikley at the silly money they go for at the moment, unless someone fancies swapping an old Mac and a couple of SGI workstations as part-exchange!)

Both seem to be relatively common on eBay Germany (the TT030 was quite widely used for DTP), and especially the Falcon030 is easily modified for use in the UK - replacing the keyboard with an STFM one will do the job, as TOS 4 is multi-lingual and the PSU is 230V - yet even here the prices have been skyrocketing during the last few years (I bought mine on eBay Germany for 100 Euros some years ago).

Om a total aside, does anyone know how I might get an STe onto a network, so that I might telnet into BBSes via a proxy, as opposed to dialling up with a modem, etc?

The Hydra is an existing ROM port to Ethernet solution, djbase (on atari-forum.com and atari-home.de) produces them and has just sold his second batch.

Thorsten

You could try asking on Atari Forum which is more ST/Falcon/TT and UK centric.

http://www.atari-forum.com

Not the response I had expected, but thanks for the tip! :-)

This is the best response you can get!!!!

You are FAR more likely to find the items you are looking for there.

You are FAR more likely to find them in the U.K. as you are.

I'm thinking ST users in the U.K.- or anywhere in Europe - are much luckier than us poor U.S. bastards, where the machine has little following.

Hi,

I need:

4mb upgrade (ideally)

one of those stands that allowed you to put the monitor above the machine but not block the disc drive - I am sure my old school friend had one that was Atari-made, or at least bundled with his ST when he bought it.

Oh and an idea of whether the discs available from www.floppydisk.com are any good - or a decent UK supplier so I an stockpile a bit!

I'd like:

If you had asked this two years ago I could have helped with the monitor cable, external HD and modem but I have since disposed of them.

For the UK there are a lot of UK users on the afore mentioned Atari Forum and it is essentailly a ST/TT/Falcon forum so it is a good place to ask questions but the only existing UK supplier nowdays is 16/32 Systems who have been around for a long time. It may take Nick a little longer to reply these days but anyone in the UK who has owned an Atari of some description has probably purchased from him at sometime in last 20 years.

4mb upgrade (ideally)

As said, just bog-standard 30-pin 1mb SIMMs. You can pick them up anytime on Ebay for coppers. They are often sold in sets of 4, which is best. Mixing and matching different brands can give you instability grief.

Sorry I can't help with these! Never used the CM monitors.

I wouldn't use a megafile. I had a Megafile 30 and it had a rock solid Seagate MFM or RLL drive in it, but it was dead slow, very noisy and offers very limited storage. You best bet is to get a SCSI or IDE adaptor. They come up reasonably often on Ebay, or you can put a wanted post on AtariForum.com. IDE ones means you can add an IDE to CF adaptor to get solid state storage and easy data exchange with a PC if needed. The best adaptors are those by SatanTronic, and the old but excellent ICD series of SCSI adaptors.

The old US Robotics external serial modems were the best of their kind, as they are completely standard, so work well on Atari systems, no dedicated software needed, just your comms software of choice. STING is old but good and fine for basic dial up modem commands.

Most stationers still sell them, as do Wilkinsons discount stores. My student union shop still does them too. you can buy 1.44mb HD discs and just tape over the sensor hole (the one WITHOUT the tab in it, the other is write protect), then format as a DS-DD 720k and it'll work fine.

I'd like:

Plenty of Falcons around at the moment but none at anything near sane prices. Unless you intend to use it as a base for a CT60 I'd say the TT is a (much) better system anyway.

Very rare, and often people who get them hold them as they are popular with scene programmers and developers. They are damn fine systems. A lot of those you do see tend to be German, as they were popular there with unis and publishers.

I'm not on a huge budget, but I am more concerned about the right upgrades, etc, for my machine as long as it's relatively simple, as I have neither the confidence or the time to start desoldering my motherboard, etc.

The hard drive upgrade and 4mb RAM and both really useful, and need no soldering, which scares the hell out of me too! Also I'd consider forgetting about the CM monitor and getting a ST to VGA adapter (on Ebay for around £15 or so, always available, still made by various people) and a 14" or 15" CRT monitor. This will give you a decent hi-res/mono display which is much more preferable when not gaming (you can get an Atari to SCART adapter for connecting to a TV for games).

Anything beyond that on an STe is really not going to repay the effort, as the CPU can't handle anything much more sophisticated anyway. The TT and Falcon both benefit hugely from graphic card upgrades and ethernet/usb, but the STe doesn't have the horsepower to really exploit them. The graphics card would have more power than the computer!

The EtherNec upgrade is an NE2000 based ISA Ethernet card that plugs into the cart. port on any of ST/TT/Falc systems. Drivers are available to power it through STING, but you will need to have a static IP for it as STING can't handle DHCP. Another, cheaper and simpler alternative is to set up a serial link and share a connection that way, but dial up is probably easiest. You can get subscription free 0845 dial up access easily.