IGNORED

GCC for the TI

insomnia

I am just 1000% opposed to promoting multipurposing the TIPI's PI.

To each their own. I have lots of counter arguments, but none of that has to do with gcc.

(Does anyone really think I waste any time transferring files in my dev workflow when there are 200 ways to automate that for Unix to Unix?)

I can respect your stance on further multi-purposing of the tipi-connected Pi, especially since in increases the likelihood of problems and need for support which is outside the scope of TIPI, but people might still expect you to help.

Also - No, I didn't imagine you were manually copying files. I was referring to the transfer time required, automated or no :)

I have almost zero knowledge on the use of the Raspberry PI or anything Unix related. I have two PI's, one never even used, waiting for the TIPI. The other I have played around with a bit but beyond getting a working image to get online, that is about it. I did not even know the "lite" version had no desktop.

Myself, I was interested in some of the work Matt was doing and wondering if I could kill two birds with one stone with the gcc utilities and the TIPI. Thought it would make an interesting development platform if the possibility existed for either the TI-99/4A or Geneve.

At some point in time, I will need to get one of those books for "Dummies" to fully understand the layout, directories, etc. At this point in time, I just do not know the system to know what it can or can not do, or its limitations, thus my inquiry.

Beery

That's all funny...

Ok, people can expect that I'd help, but they'd be wrong. I don't have gcc setup on any raspbian system... and cannot help with systems I don't have. That's what you are for!

---------

Let's not forget the real question at hand! Atari guy wants -lgcc to work. And so do we. I've put hours into trying to figure that out, but have not been able to get it to build.

Insomnia's recommendation a few weeks ago wasn't enough to get there. I'm still stuck on this too. Luckily, I don't have an immediate need, but I can see Irata Online requiring more maths.

-M@

Getting farther, my little test harness is compiling, but...

tms9900-gcc -c crt0.c -std=c99 -Os --save-temp -I/home/thomc/Workspace/libti99 -I/cygdrive/d/tms9900/lib/gcc/tms9900/4.4.0/include -o crt0.o
tms9900-gcc -c main.c -std=c99 -Os --save-temp -I/home/thomc/Workspace/libti99 -I/cygdrive/d/tms9900/lib/gcc/tms9900/4.4.0/include -o main.o
tms9900-ld crt0.o main.o --script=linkfile -L/home/thomc/Workspace/libti99 -lti99 -o plato.elf -Map=mapfile
elf2ea5 plato.elf plato.bin
Warning: no "_init_data" symbol found

???

-Thom

Ok, so I've checked in the first commit of PLATOTerm99 code:

http://github.com/tschak909/platoterm99

It compiles and an elf and bin spits out.

But, ea5split doesn't produce anything, am assuming that it's because it's not quite 8K in size, yet?

When I try to take the bin and plop it over into classic99 as PLATO in my DSK1 folder, and load with option 5, I get an I/O error 2...what am I doing wrong? (yes, dsk1 is mounted, and I can run other binaries in that folder)...

-Thom

Before I start cobbling together a Makefile from libti99, has anyone made a generic Makefile for ti99 projects?

-Thom

There are makefiles in the sample projects in the first post of this thread. The sample projects are: hello, hello2, and hello_cpp

Ok, so I've checked in the first commit of PLATOTerm99 code:

http://github.com/tschak909/platoterm99

It compiles and an elf and bin spits out.

But, ea5split doesn't produce anything, am assuming that it's because it's not quite 8K in size, yet?

When I try to take the bin and plop it over into classic99 as PLATO in my DSK1 folder, and load with option 5, I get an I/O error 2...what am I doing wrong? (yes, dsk1 is mounted, and I can run other binaries in that folder)...

-Thom

You need to make sure the crt module is the first / at the head of your program...

An EA5 file is a memory image, and execution starts at the address where it is first loaded into.

Your code is setup to link into >A000... upper 24k of the memory expansion... good. typical.

But the first instruction in needs to be there at >A000... Just move crt to the top of the list from here:

https://github.com/tschak909/platoterm99/blob/5f5fad476d253b9326d304f545a52c94fa537439/Makefile#L34

to here:

https://github.com/tschak909/platoterm99/blob/5f5fad476d253b9326d304f545a52c94fa537439/Makefile#L28

There are other approaches, but they all involve making sure the first instruction in the image is the instruction you want it to run first :)

-M@

ok, interesting. Sorry, I'm literally going a zillion miles an hour, trying to make as many mistakes up front, as I can. :)

Hm. still not working. Am noticing that each of the runnable images have the name of the first file within the first few bytes of the file, am I missing something?

Also, I really don't know how much RAM this will need.. the 6502 version takes up 24K of RAM currently, so I would say anywhere from 16K to 24K...

-Thom

The files that have their name in them are a 'container' file for hosting a TI file on a foreign filesystem...

EA5SPLIT creates files contained in the TIFILES format... 128 bytes into that is the real TI binary.... 6 bytes into that is were your first instruction has to be.

Hopefully our 32k will be sufficient. :)

Let me clone and see what I can see...

-M@

I found the problem. somehow in my constant compiling and recompiling the toolchain to fix things, I munged up ea5split. Now the binary seems to run, if going to a green blank screen..that's okay.. at least I know it's attempting to load, I'll go forward now and see if I can start filling in the system dependent code....

my immediate goal is to get the terminal to output the protocol-encoded data in splash.c to render the splash screen. Once this works, 75% of the terminal is done, then it's hooking up serial and keyboard I/O.

-Thom

one last post in this thread on PT, I've done the TI splash, a bit more appropriate. now I am to the point where I _really_ need help on RS232 and TIPI routines.

post-9462-0-69424600-1533922815_thumb.png

-Thom

(p.s.) Why is there a green border I can't seem to get rid of? I want border and background to be the same)

• Like 1

one last post in this thread on PT, I've done the TI splash, a bit more appropriate. now I am to the point where I _really_ need help on RS232 and TIPI routines.

attachicon.gifplatoterm_ti2.PNG

-Thom

(p.s.) Why is there a green border I can't seem to get rid of? I want border and background to be the same)

Screen color needs to be set to Black then

bgcolor();

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

What are the limitations of color in bitmap (GRAPHICS II) mode? I can try to graft in color support (the protocol decoder supports 24-bit color, but I will try to add support for the default system color constants, at least)

-Thom

For each row of 8 pixels you can only use two of the 16 colors.

Edited by Asmusr