IGNORED

I knew it was too good to be true

Rev

Well that took less than a day of adult use to uncover, didn't it? Imagine what young kids will find wrong with it...

I'd probably never do that, but then again, I moved my ps2 while it was in play just yesterday.

if Microsoft didn't test it well enough to uncover that problem, who knows what else is wrong with it.

okay 360, I'm still not on board yet. But call me up when the next revision is ready, you have some exclusives I need to try out.

Edited by Reaperman

There is a sticker on the front that clearly warned the console shouldn't be moved while a disc is inserted. Any disc tray would destroy any disc were it to be handled in that way. I think the 360 has a lot of faults but in this case... PEBKAC. Don't move the console while the disc is spinning. I have had a 360 since day 1 and I have not had a single disc destroyed. The reason... I'm not a dumbass.

• Like 1

ANY optical drive that uses a tray and not a spindle grip (like the PS1 or most laptops) will scratch disks if you move it while it's on. It's nothing exclusive to the 360.

I'd love to hear a reasonable explanation as to why someone would need to move a console while they are playing it.

• Like 2

ANY optical drive that uses a tray and not a spindle grip (like the PS1 or most laptops) will scratch disks if you move it while it's on. It's nothing exclusive to the 360.

I'd love to hear a reasonable explanation as to why someone would need to move a console while they are playing it.

Didn't you watch the video? They need to move the console while it's playing to show it off for the camera.

Didn't you watch the video? They need to move the console while it's playing to show it off for the camera.

lol, well there is that.

But I semi-frequently find myself moving ps2's in play. I have my main one turned to I can get at the HD more easily, but I swing it around to plug in my wheel. I also have another ps2 at my bedside with an attached screen that I often shift (narrow viewing angle). I'm considerably more careful when I do it, and ps2 has a nice wide plastic disc that rides on top of the game to help stabilize it in the drive. Maybe I should be a little rougher and see what happens.

Edited by Reaperman

I think the 360 has a lot of faults but in this case... PEBKAC. Don't move the console while the disc is spinning. I have had a 360 since day 1 and I have not had a single disc destroyed. The reason... I'm not a dumbass.

100%, don't be a dumbass and that won't scratch your disk. ;)

I can't decide what is more retarded... moving a video game console while it's in use, or bitching because you aren't able to. Trying to justify why you have to move it sometimes has got to be the lamest thing I've ever read. On the rare occasions when you do have to move it...Take the 2 seconds to power down the unit and do what you have to do. Turn it on and then wait the 10 seconds for it to boot back up. Remember folks. Think smart so you can be smartass.

• Like 1

Try putting your 360 in the car and having the kids play it as they go down the street on a liong road trip!

Back in MY DAY we didn't HAVE Xbox 360s. We fought with each other the entire trip and WE LIKED IT!!!!

Family bonding time...dad never says "You want me to pull this car over?" anymore...!

A bulky HD console with separate controllers, cabling and disk based games for a long trip as opposed to say a compact hand held that's all self contained in one small bag? Are you sure you're thinking smart Chris Leach? Remember you can't be a smartass if you're not.

This is obviously a really minor point to most people, but I can actually provide an example where it could have been an issue.

Several years ago I set up a mobile gaming system consisting of a Sony broadcast monitor mounted on a wheeled rack cart. multiple game consoles, a switcher, a powerstrip and some speakers sat below the monitor, attached with Velcro to equipment shelves.

While I never intentionally rolled the thing around while anything was running, it could possibly have been an issue once in a gazillion years. Still nowhere near being a "big deal"...

I miss my gaming cart... :(

I can't decide what is more retarded... moving a video game console while it's in use, or bitching because you aren't able to. Trying to justify why you have to move it sometimes has got to be the lamest thing I've ever read. On the rare occasions when you do have to move it...Take the 2 seconds to power down the unit and do what you have to do. Turn it on and then wait the 10 seconds for it to boot back up. Remember folks. Think smart so you can be smartass.

wow, trying to get as close as possible to that 'personal attack' dividing line, eh?

I'm done with it.

Edited by Reaperman

wow, trying to get as close as you can to that 'personal attack' dividing line, eh?

I'm done with it.

The first sentence wasn't directed at you it was directed to the people filming that video.The dude even said there's a sticker on the front of the unit. Hello.

If they are members of the forum I apologize.

The rest of the stuff about how easy it is to get around the "issue" (Simply not moving the system) is valid. Wasn't trying to single you out, other people mentioned being perturbed they couldn't move the system, look at the comments under the video. Sorry if I think even bringing it up is lame. It just come off as well...lame. As an adult, it just seems like a real easy thing not to do. (I don't have kids though so I could see where it could be an issue for some people)

Tried going, it just went to a damn commercial so I said fuck it.

Anyhow...that I know of NO system recommends moving it while the disc is in it, even if the system is OFF. (they all say to remove the disc before moving the system) I think it's right up there with expecting the system to keep trucking while laying on your shag carpet under pillows or something :P

Kinda sucks though, even still, but I don't thin it's really going to be an issue.

I have to agree with those who wonder why anyone would want to move a console with the disc spinning. Somehow, it came naturally (to me) NOT TO DO THAT as far back as the Sega CD days. Now that controllers are wireless, there's even less reason (excuse) for moving it. Not an issue for me.

WOW, what a dumb ass, no wonder the 360 got the rep of scratching its disks. Its dumb asses moving the system during play that scratch the disk.

hell the same thing could be said about the RRoD or overheating. if your stupid enough to put the system in a spot that don't allow air to move its going to overheat and eventually give you the RRoD. i foresee these still getting the RRoD because of dumb asses like that.

Why in the hell could they not just move the camera. what morons.

Edited by madmax2069

I can't decide what is more retarded... moving a video game console while it's in use, or bitching because you aren't able to.

:thumbsup:

:lol: :D Well, Me and Moycon have had our differences in the past, but I have to agree with his above sentence and post, as well as most all the people in this thread, that know and realize; not to move any system while the disc is being read. ;)

The guy in the video in the black/white plaid shirt is an idiot, that's why the other guy, whose voice you can hear said several times said; "don't do that!"

Now concerning disc tray and slot based disc systems, I think if people just think about what their doing for a minute they wouldn't have this problem. I don't know why people would think that while a disc is spinning that they can move the system? I'd ask myself; is that disc in there locked down to anything!? A-No. So if I tilt/move the system what's going to keep a fast spinning disc from contacting things it's not supposed to contact in there, make a grinding noise and come out scratched!? A -nothing. So you can scratch your discs that way, so don't move the system while it's got a spinning disc in there -simple.

Unless Sony fixes it by somehow adding to the tray system a Sony Discman like snap-on locked down disc feature and "ESP2 electronic skip protection" which is a memory buffer that keeps like 60 seconds of your playing music in memory in advance of the point in the song where your at, so if you shock the system and the laser can't read for a few seconds the buffer will allow your song to play seamlessly(to a point). But I don't know how to implement that on a disc tray?

Edited by ovalbugmann