IGNORED

Put my Record breaking Donkey Kong 3 machine up on Ebay 3 Hours Left!

homerwannabee

I decided that I am going to have a 10 day auction with my DK3 machine for tonight. I have come to the realization that the machine is starting to break down. If you watch the last video that I put up on Youtube you will see that the machine screen actually goes down by a third soon after I finished my 2.4 million game. I just don't think the machine can handle another record run by me on marathon settings. Also the controller is a pain, and a half to actually use as well. I have done what I wanted to do with this machine. I am glad I was able to have the run I did with it, and even if I lose about $500 from selling this arcade machine, I don't care. It was worth every cent. So just wanted to give a heads up to my fellow AtariAgers about what I am about to do. :)

Edit: Just listed it!

eBay Auction -- Item Number: 1404197235481?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=140419723548&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

Probably just needs an adjustment or maybe a cap kit, you should be able to access the vertical hold through the back door to see if that solves your disapearing screen issues. If it needs a cap kit that will probably run you $100 for the repair, at least thats what the local guys in my area charge. My Donkey Kong jr used to do what you are discribing (although much worse) and it needed a cap kit. It would only do it if I left it on for over 4 hours or so. Anyways, if you pop a DK3 on Ebay stating the monitor is going out, you will be lucky to get $100 for it, most people that buy arcade games requiring work tend to buy them on the cheap side, just my opinion ;)

Probably just needs an adjustment or maybe a cap kit, you should be able to access the vertical hold through the back door to see if that solves your disapearing screen issues. If it needs a cap kit that will probably run you $100 for the repair, at least thats what the local guys in my area charge. My Donkey Kong jr used to do what you are discribing (although much worse) and it needed a cap kit. It would only do it if I left it on for over 4 hours or so. Anyways, if you pop a DK3 on Ebay stating the monitor is going out, you will be lucky to get $100 for it, most people that buy arcade games requiring work tend to buy them on the cheap side, just my opinion ;)

Agreed, but I am still selling it. Just don't have the money to keep pouring money into it. If it goes for $75 than so be it.

Edit: I spent $775 on the machine. So if it goes for $75, the bitter irony will be great. Spent a ton of money on a machine just to break a record, and once I broke the record I can't even get a tenth of what I paid for it. It will provide a great punchline to my story that I tell people.

I am surprised you are not even going to try and fix the monitor, you are going to loose your ass if it has a monitor problem. Have you tried the basic stuff?

post-9102-127764721265_thumb.png

I have no idea what that picture means. You see I have absolutely no experience with repairing Arcade Machines. Most likely if I even tried to monkey around with something it is going to make it worse. I see you have H. Hold circled in red. I pressume that means horizontal hold. I have no clue what I would do there. Just because someone has mastered the game does not mean the person even has the slightest idea on circuitry.

Also, why do you seem to not even notice the historical nature of what I have done? A little history lesson. There were only 3 Donkey Kong machines made in the Golden Era of the arcade. Donkey Kong, and Donkey Kong Jr. were featured prominantly in the most famous video game documentary of all time "King Of Kong, A Fist Full of Quarters." Also, I beat Dwayne Richard's record.

The guy is thought of as one of the greatest arcade gamers of all time. In fact here was what someone wrote of Dwayne Richard after he broke the record, and of the game

"If you're not familiar with Donkey Kong 3, let me tell you... this game takes some of the most inhuman concentration and coordination of almost any other game; perhaps not at level one, but once you get into the harder levels, the game is unfathomably difficult. To play at this level means having to read and recognize half a dozen different game behaviors all at the same time. You've got bees flying at you, not to mention shooting at you... there's also those damn little worms that you need to spray or else they occupy your platforms and in order to move through them you need to stun them first. There's also kamikaze bees that ZIP across the screen sideways when they reach your level, and let's not forget those EXPLODING bees that throw shrapnel in four directions when you kill them... oh yeah, and all this time you've got to make sure Donkey Kong doesn't slide down the bottom of the vines or else he'll kill you, so you gotta spray him up every once in a while, and to make matters worse... he throws coconuts at you the whole time! There are so many things going on in this game that demand total concentration and focus, and it doesn't let up. Dwayne says he's been chasing this record for about 20 years now, and now he finally has it! You could tell the accomplishment and delight that he felt after achieving this score, it was written all over his face complete with a big giant grin! My hat goes off to Dwayne, one of the best all-around video gamers on the planet... a true champion. "

The guy was chasing the record for 20 years, and I broke it within 2 weeks of acquiring the arcade game. Yet that means nothing to you. I vastly improved not only the marathon record, but the tournament record as well. One day this arcade machine could very well be in a museum. Do you understand that? Because in your posts it seems you have no clue.

Uhh.... I think CC is trying to help you out man. I don't think anyone is discounting your record; the intent is more that the machine goes for a decent price. I'm not into arcade machines for one reason: space -- and the lack thereof. Otherwise, I'd have been throwing in on this too.

Hex.

[ Wants a couple of cocktail cabinets, but it's just not realistic... ]

• Like 1

Dude, CC was only trying to help you out.

He is a bit slow sometimes and I think he is a bit frustrated that nobody really gives a damn about record scores. :P ;)

EDIT: Homer, you really should read up on potentiometers. :!:

• Like 1

There were only 3 Donkey Kong machines made in the Golden Era of the arcade. Donkey Kong, and Donkey Kong Jr. were featured prominantly in the most famous video game documentary of all time "King Of Kong, A Fist Full of Quarters."

That is incorrect.

There were four in the Donkey Kong series:

Donkey Kong

Donkey Kong II: Jumpman Returns

Donkey Kong 3

Donkey Kong Junior

Then you can throw in the licensed version of Donkey Kong, Crazy Kong by Falcon (or Congorilla by Orca), for release outside the US.

Dude, CC was only trying to help you out.

He is a bit slow sometimes and I think he is a bit frustrated that nobody really gives a damn about record scores. :P ;)

EDIT: Homer, you really should read up on potentiometers. :!:

First, I want to second that CC was only trying to help you out and if that is the fix then that is worth roughly $200 right there.

Secondly and conversely, you can't be messing around the monitor if you don't have a clue cuz you'll potentially zap yourself.

Third, the general population at AtariAge doesn't give a crap about coin-op, George. You need to join and be active at CAGDC where there's a community that fully supports CAG. The members over there fully appreciate your accomplishments on DK3.

Lastly, the Arcade/MAME HSC this week is Galaxian. Let's see what you can do on the Arcade/MAME version! :)

There were only 3 Donkey Kong machines made in the Golden Era of the arcade. Donkey Kong, and Donkey Kong Jr. were featured prominantly in the most famous video game documentary of all time "King Of Kong, A Fist Full of Quarters."

That is incorrect.

There were four in the Donkey Kong series:

Donkey Kong

Donkey Kong II: Jumpman Returns

Donkey Kong 3

Donkey Kong Junior

Then you can throw in the licensed version of Donkey Kong, Crazy Kong by Falcon (or Congorilla by Orca), for release outside the US.

When I say Golden Era I mean arcade games made during the height of arcade games in the early 80's. According to Aurcade: Donkey Kong II was made in 2008. Making it a modern day game, and not a game made during the early 80's. The golden era of Arcade games.

http://aurcade.com/games/view.aspx?id=575

Edit: Just saw the other post. You are right. Atariage, and Classicarcadegaming.com are definitely two different worlds. Getting a record, in almost any arcade game from the golden era does seem to get you a tad bit of respect. Believe it or not I still don't know how to properly install MAME. I think it has to do partially with my 5 year old computer. When I played Donkey Kong 3 on MAME it was dreadfully slow.

I am surprised you are not even going to try and fix the monitor, you are going to loose your ass if it has a monitor problem. Have you tried the basic stuff?

I have no idea what that picture means. You see I have absolutely no experience with repairing Arcade Machines. Most likely if I even tried to monkey around with something it is going to make it worse. I see you have H. Hold circled in red. I pressume that means horizontal hold. I have no clue what I would do there. Just because someone has mastered the game does not mean the person even has the slightest idea on circuitry.

Also, why do you seem to not even notice the historical nature of what I have done? A little history lesson. There were only 3 Donkey Kong machines made in the Golden Era of the arcade. Donkey Kong, and Donkey Kong Jr. were featured prominantly in the most famous video game documentary of all time "King Of Kong, A Fist Full of Quarters." Also, I beat Dwayne Richard's record.

The guy is thought of as one of the greatest arcade gamers of all time. In fact here was what someone wrote of Dwayne Richard after he broke the record, and of the game

"If you're not familiar with Donkey Kong 3, let me tell you... this game takes some of the most inhuman concentration and coordination of almost any other game; perhaps not at level one, but once you get into the harder levels, the game is unfathomably difficult. To play at this level means having to read and recognize half a dozen different game behaviors all at the same time. You've got bees flying at you, not to mention shooting at you... there's also those damn little worms that you need to spray or else they occupy your platforms and in order to move through them you need to stun them first. There's also kamikaze bees that ZIP across the screen sideways when they reach your level, and let's not forget those EXPLODING bees that throw shrapnel in four directions when you kill them... oh yeah, and all this time you've got to make sure Donkey Kong doesn't slide down the bottom of the vines or else he'll kill you, so you gotta spray him up every once in a while, and to make matters worse... he throws coconuts at you the whole time! There are so many things going on in this game that demand total concentration and focus, and it doesn't let up. Dwayne says he's been chasing this record for about 20 years now, and now he finally has it! You could tell the accomplishment and delight that he felt after achieving this score, it was written all over his face complete with a big giant grin! My hat goes off to Dwayne, one of the best all-around video gamers on the planet... a true champion. "

The guy was chasing the record for 20 years, and I broke it within 2 weeks of acquiring the arcade game. Yet that means nothing to you. I vastly improved not only the marathon record, but the tournament record as well. One day this arcade machine could very well be in a museum. Do you understand that? Because in your posts it seems you have no clue.

Okay.. :?

Was trying to save you from losing a bunch of money, not sure what that has to do with me caring or not caring about your record (which if you MUST know I don't care, not sure why that matters though?) I have bought/sold a few hundred arcade games and when they have monitor issues they typically sell for peanuts. If you don't mind that it will not sell for much and likely just be parted out and the empty cabinet destroyed then that's your own fault...but really, it is the museum that will lose :roll:

Was trying to save you from losing a bunch of money, not sure what that has to do with me caring or not caring about your record (which if you MUST know I don't care, not sure why that matters though?) I have bought/sold a few hundred arcade games and when they have monitor issues they typically sell for peanuts. If you don't mind that it will not sell for much and likely just be parted out and the empty cabinet destroyed then that's your own fault...but really, it is the museum that will lose :roll:

It is not just the fact that you don't care, it is the fact that you presume that no one else cares. OK, I agree,not a ton of people really care. In fact I would say 100 people in the United States actually care about this. Again, what I am saying is the fact that a World Record happened on the machine makes it more valuable.

Tell me, how many of those machines that you sold actually had a World Record on them? How many were actually autographed by the World Record holder with the score written on them? And because I actually have the world record it is worth a tad bit more than $75. When all is said, and done this will probably go for around $200 to $250. Yep, I am still losing a ton of money, but not as much as you proclaim I will lose. See, all I need is 2 different people who know about this auction to care enough to have a bidding war on this. World Record arcade machines are not sold every single day. Especially one from the Golden Era of video games.

Tell me, how many of those machines that you sold actually had a World Record on them? How many were actually autographed by the World Record holder with the score written on them? And because I actually have the world record it is worth a tad bit more than $75. When all is said, and done this will probably go for around $200 to $250. Yep, I am still losing a ton of money, but not as much as you proclaim I will lose. See, all I need is 2 different people who know about this auction to care enough to have a bidding war on this. World Record arcade machines are not sold every single day. Especially one from the Golden Era of video games.

Dude - you should have put a reserve on it...$200 would be a steal!

It is not just the fact that you don't care, it is the fact that you presume that no one else cares. OK, I agree,not a ton of people really care. In fact I would say 100 people in the United States actually care about this. Again, what I am saying is the fact that a World Record happened on the machine makes it more valuable.

I don't know, it might ad some value but I doubt it, I guess we will see. For the record I never said it was worth $75? The parts are worth more than that, hell, I'll give you $100 right now for the PCB, marquee, CP and bezel but please don't sign them because in my opinion they would be worth less if they had marker all over them :D I am telling you the honest truth that a monitor problem is scaring away 90% of your bidders. That machine should be worth more than $200 but if you want to gamble instead of taking a few moments to diagnose your problem then more power to you, I really don't care, just thought I would offer to help a little but that offer is of course off the table now ;) As far as world record machines that I have sold? None...but I did purchase a few machines from Jesse Ventura's sale (the former WWF wrestler and Governor of MN) and let me tell you, even with authenticity they did not ad one cent of value when it came time to sell. One of them was even a dedicated WWF superstars (pretty rare on it's own let alone owned by a former WWF wrestler!)Sure people thought it was cool that Jesse had these games in his personal collection but ultimately when it came to paying actual money, people just wanted a working machine. The main question asked (and always is by collectors) does the monitor have any problems. They didn't think Jesse formally owning them made them worth anymore, and they were right.

Homer, there are companies that will come to your house , crate the machine and ship it (the buyer can be responsible for that) so in my opinion the local pick up is what will really limit you. I think your record is very very cool BTW and wish you luck with your auction.

I only put pick up only because I don't want to be responsible for shipping cost. In the auction description here is what I say.

"Since I can't really ship this I will make it Pick Up Only, but I don't mind if you find a third party company that will pick up the machine from my apartment to ship it out at your cost. Just let them know that I live on the second floor of an Apartment building, and there is no elevator"

As you can see, I have made an allowance for doing exactly as you have said.

P.S. thanks for calling it very, very, cool! :D :cool: