IGNORED

Season 3 5200 HSC Round 9 *Pengo*

darthkur

1181242143159.jpg

s_Pengo_3.png

Beware of the malevolent Snow-Bees. Don't let them near you or they will sting you and ruin your day. Either crush them with a strategically pushed ice block or freeze them by pushing against the wall when they aligned with you against the same wall surface, then run over them or push an ice block over them. Snow-Bees are single minded of purpose from the time they hatch from their ice encased eggs so keep aware at the beginning of each round for the location of Snow-Bee eggs will flash momentarily. Annihilate them quickly to prevent them from hatching. Snow-Bees are determined to get you and they will smash ice blocks to shorten their path but will not do so with a block containing an egg. Also use the magical, indestructible diamond cubes to you advantage. Align them vertically or horizontally next to each other for both big bonus points and to momentarily render your pursuers immobile and vulnerable. You score really big points for lining the diamond cubes within the playfield but only half as much if you line them up against one of the surrounding four walls. So be alert and crush your enemies quickly for the faster they're gone the more points you will be awarded.

Emulators are fine as is whatever controller you feel the most comfortable with. Screenshots are great but not mandatory. Please do not use any cheat/hack options. These include auto-fire, unlimited lives, invincibility, etc. Also, no

continues. Only games begun at the beginning count.

Settings: Intermediate (default)

Contest ends on: 7-5-10 at 1:00am EST.

Final Scores:

1st: atariksi - 709,770 +11

2nd: atariron82 - 458,910 +10

3rd: NoahsMyBro - 85,560 +9

4th: zylon - 83,860 +8

5th: Divya16 - 800 +7

6th: roadrunner - 60 +6

Current Standings:

1st: atariron82 (76) (1)

2nd: roadrunner (66) (1)

3rd: Divya16 (59)

4th: atariksi (55) (2)

5th: DensB68 (40) (2)

5th: NoahsMyBro (47) (1)

6th: Cafeman (29)

7th: thursday83 (14)

8th: CV Gus (11) (1)

9th: zylon (5)

10th: MIKE5200 (4)

Numbers in RED are accumulated points. Numbers in BLUE are number of rounds won.

Link to the official manual:Pengo Manual

Edited by darthkur

Wow Divya, these 5200 Pengo Roms really are screwed up in 800Win; Check out the screen shot:

post-21471-127751239685_thumb.png

Not only does Pengo jump around the screen, but he teleports through Ice blocks!? In the picture you can see the penguin trapped inside a diamond block(after skipping through 2 ice blocks) :!: The effect makes his exposed half indestructible to the sno-bees which try in vain to sting him. Pengo's arms and legs move in place when arrow keys are pressed but he can't escape as sno-bees continue to wander around destroying ice blocks. No additional eggs hatch and the round never ends/times out...very strange indeed.

Neither the Atarimania ROM file nor the one in your link are working.

That's odd. Try this one: Pengo (1983) (Atari) (U).bin

That also didn't work-- the game starts but the Pengo skips around the screen. Does this require some special joystick?

Edited by atariron82

I'm with Zylon and NoahsMyBro for this one and choose to download the traditional "ROM" ;) :

post-21471-127780250065_thumb.jpg

This game seems to love the analogue stick and so do I :D :

post-21471-127780203887_thumb.jpg

Edited by atariron82

Looks like an emulator bug if all the ROM files are giving same results.

I would have to agree. Other than playing it on actual hardware try a different emulator.

I just burned the ROM file (from Atarimania) to a EPROM and it crashes but differently than what was described above for the emulator so may be combination of both bad ROM file and emulator issues.

Anyone have an actual dump of the real cart, give link and I'll try it out. I am going to be getting the real cart in the mail but I don't have a way to dump those to a file.

Okay, ROM file does work on real machine. I just tried the same ROM file on a couple of other A5200 systems and game works fine. I guess I didn't insert it properly first time. I just played Pengo with a trackball for a couple of lives.

So emulator users, make sure you insert the cartridge properly in the emulator and make sure contacts are clean.

post-12094-127791642739_thumb.jpg

Okay, ROM file does work on real machine. I just tried the same ROM file on a couple of other A5200 systems and game works fine. I guess I didn't insert it properly first time. I just played Pengo with a trackball for a couple of lives.

So emulator users, make sure you insert the cartridge properly in the emulator and make sure contacts are clean.

This is my score using Wico stick that has issues:

post-12094-127800558152_thumb.jpg

Hi NoahsMyBro (I've been lost in Coleco Land for a short bit..boy my wrist hurts :? ),

You asked a great question. I spent a while trying to figure out the best setting for colorful CRT video screen shots. Using a Sony 3.2 mp DSC-P52, this is what I came up with:

First thing, the light from your vintage TV is usu enough to get a nice pic-- If its day, close all blinds and turn off lights; At night turn off all lights(if the game is really bright, turn on a small light to avoid overexp.)

Camera Settings: Landscape mode(at night); Twilight mode(daytime)>>>Flash= OFF

Exposure value= -1.3EV

Focus= 0.5m

White Balance (WB)= Auto

Picture Quality= Standard

P. Effect= Off

When taking the pic, I hold the camera as steady as possible(using an elbow for support) about 2 feet from the sceen for a complete screen shot.

I play all my games on a 19" 1991 RCA XL-100. The 5200 I have pictured above is a specially modded 2-port with composite A/V. I funnel the signal through the Camera Line-in channel port on an '82 RCA VFT-650 vcr, which then travels via Coax to the 4-Port 5200 Switch Box on the back of the TV. The screen is so black I can't even tell if the TV is on or not until I hit the power switch on the Atari! We're talking RF noise = ZERO :cool:

I hope some of this helps :)

And now...back to crushing Sno-Bees :twisted:

Off-topic a bit, but Atariron - how do you take your picture of the TV? Mu pics never come out as well as your shot there.

I'm in a room with flourescent lights on, I disable the flash on the camera, and I shoot the TV straight-on.

Edited by atariron82

Looks like an emulator bug if all the ROM files are giving same results.

I would have to agree. Other than playing it on actual hardware try a different emulator.

Can you give a link to an emulator that works with Atari 5200 Pengo.ROM file?