IGNORED

Miner 2049er Vs. Mr. Robot

Divya16

Miner 2049er Vs. Mr. Robot  

37 members have voted

1. 1. Which one do you prefer as good strategy/fun game?

• Miner 2049er
    • Mr. Robot
    • Other similar game (specify in thread)

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

Looks like Miner 2049er came before Mr. Robot and you see the similar theme in Mr. Robot as Miner 2049er-- finish a screen using some strategy and the next screen can require a completely different strategy. Many different levels and variety. If you know some other game that you prefer that follows this similar theme, state that game.

post-16716-12771499262_thumb.jpg

post-16716-127714994109_thumb.jpg

You would have got my vote if it was Bounty Bob...

I would treat that as a continuation of Miner 2049er-- even the first screen is very hard whereas Miner 2049er and Mr. Robot the first few screens are a breeze.

Post Mr. Robot screens as that game seems to be easier overall to Miner 2049er. One thing missing on Mr. Robot is the crash sound when the robot dies.

Tough call. If you'd included the follow up to Miner, Bounty Bob Strikes Back it would be a no brainer as BBSB is pretty much my favourite game of all time. :)

I agree, BBSB is awesome as Miner is just too darn easy and Mr Robot is really really to darn easy ;)

What we really need is a construction set for miner/BBSB please please or a sequel :cool:

IMO There are not too many great single screen platformers, Henry's House is ok and Lode Runner of course... Also recently found Pondering about Max's which I've not played enough but looks intriguing if a bit slow... [edit] suppose some of those fanda games Ollies Follies, Ghost Hunter? and Nuclear Nick are fairy good too... just you wait for my new abbuc entry 'Gwobby Strikes Back' later this year, it's a shootem plat :D

Yes Goochman's Mr.Robot screens are pretty wicked; his and 2 sets I did are on a nice custom Mr.Robot hack thanks to Homesoft, see post 8 link here

Please can you post your Mr.R screen's LYNXGUY :?:

p.s. forgot Hard Hat Mack is a decent game, just needs more screens and then there's Donkey Kong... ok they're all good but BBSB is the best but maybe I'm biased ;)

That will be very difficult to do as all my Atari stuff is currently in storage as I moved out of state and into an apartment.

But I will have an ATARI night at my best friends house soon and get the floppies out and take some pics.

In terms of variations, "Jumpman" was probably ahead of Mr.Robot. It didn't look quite as nice as 2049er, but had more levels and a couple of neat ideas. Unfortunately, it lacked a construction kit, something I really apprechiated in Mr. Robot.

Greetings,

Thomas

Maybe more variations, but jumpman had weird graphics where jumpman was "out of sync" with the background graphics, had chaotic movements, doesn't have to collect as much as the other two, and relies a bit on "randomness" rather than strategy. I would put Mr. Robot ahead of jumpman as once you get the strategy down pat, you can always finish the screen and very colorful and consistent graphics/players. The trampoline is something I didn't see in Miner 2049er yet. I haven't flipped the levels yet.

Mr. Robot was fun, but I always liked Miner 2049er better. It is probably purely for nostalgic reasons though since I played it first. One thing I did like about Mr. Robot though was the editor. Not too many games gave out ways to modify their game back then. I can only think of this one and Adventure Creator by Spinnaker, although I am sure there were a few others.

Mr. Robot was fun, but I always liked Miner 2049er better. It is probably purely for nostalgic reasons though since I played it first. One thing I did like about Mr. Robot though was the editor. Not too many games gave out ways to modify their game back then. I can only think of this one and Adventure Creator by Spinnaker, although I am sure there were a few others.

There are a couple of threads on this here and here (would help to find it using search if my typing was better!) :)

Tough call. If you'd included the follow up to Miner, Bounty Bob Strikes Back it would be a no brainer as BBSB is pretty much my favourite game of all time. :)

I agree, BBSB is awesome as Miner is just too darn easy and Mr Robot is really really to darn easy ;)

What we really need is a construction set for miner/BBSB please please or a sequel :cool:

IMO There are not too many great single screen platformers, Henry's House is ok and Lode Runner of course... Also recently found Pondering about Max's which I've not played enough but looks intriguing if a bit slow... [edit] suppose some of those fanda games Ollies Follies, Ghost Hunter? and Nuclear Nick are fairy good too... just you wait for my new abbuc entry 'Gwobby Strikes Back' later this year, it's a shootem plat :D

Yes Goochman's Mr.Robot screens are pretty wicked; his and 2 sets I did are on a nice custom Mr.Robot hack thanks to Homesoft, see post 8 link here

p.s. forgot Hard Hat Mack is a decent game, just needs more screens and then there's Donkey Kong... ok they're all good but BBSB is the best but maybe I'm biased ;)

Yeah, if Donkey Kong had more screens and some other things it would fit the bill. However, currently, it's just 4 screens. Besides avoiding flames and barrels, there's nothing to finish whereas in Miner 2049er, you have to finish "dirt" and Mr. Robot has to finish the dots. So that element is lacking in some of the other games so not in the same catagory. BBSB-- I played it 20 times and I can't get to that little spot on the top to finish the first level yet (any hints?):

post-16716-127737925538_thumb.jpg

BBSB-- I played it 20 times and I can't get to that little spot on the top to finish the first level yet (any hints?):

You know that you can jump and then press right? Then you can jump shorter distances instead jumping over it.

Robert

My personal favorite was always Montezuma's revenge on the Colecovision that was an all time favorite of mine.

Montezuma's Revenge, Sammy Lightfoot, Lode Runner & Junkman Jr. are all excellent and get more play over here than either Miner or Mr. Robot.

BBSB-- I played it 20 times and I can't get to that little spot on the top to finish the first level yet (any hints?):

You know that you can jump and then press right? Then you can jump shorter distances instead jumping over it.

Robert

That helped. I was assuming same controls like Miner 2049er.

Heheh... Junkman... icon_razz.gif

Chuckie Egg, and its sequel, mostly well-known to Spectrum owners, were decent, if not ground-breaking single-screen platformers.

Donkey Kong, I think, was rather hard to replicate because of the uniqueness to each of its levels. You had new structures and entirely new patterns to each screens. You couldn't just make a "DK Contruction Kit" because then you'd have to basically add powerful scripting features and fresh structures that could push the gameplay in different ways. Maybe Jumpman came closest to its spirit, by adding/removing pieces of terrain. A simpler, more manageable solution.

"Wizard" and "Ultimate Wizard" would be my personal pick, for its extra features and depth, plus a fully-formed construction set. It one-upped its main 8-bit competitor (Jumpman) but may have lost some of its straightforwardness and appealing simplicity in the process.

edit: Talking about "Hard Hat Mack", maybe there's a case for it being closest in spirit to DK. Remembering its levels, they seemed to be pretty complex, from a design point of view. I don't think it comes close to it though, gameplay-wise. For the quick run-through I had with it, there seemed to be something awkward about the first level's layout. It lacked "flow" and the goal didn't seem as obvious as DK.

Edited by johnny_boy

Heheh... Junkman... icon_razz.gif

Chuckie Egg, and its sequel, mostly well-known to Spectrum owners, were decent, if not ground-breaking single-screen platformers.

Donkey Kong, I think, was rather hard to replicate because of the uniqueness to each of its levels. You had new structures and entirely new patterns to each screens. You couldn't just make a "DK Contruction Kit" because then you'd have to basically add powerful scripting features and fresh structures that could push the gameplay in different ways. Maybe Jumpman came closest to its spirit, by adding/removing pieces of terrain. A simpler, more manageable solution.

"Wizard" and "Ultimate Wizard" would be my personal pick, for its extra features and depth, plus a fully-formed construction set. It one-upped its main 8-bit competitor (Jumpman) but may have lost some of its straightforwardness and appealing simplicity in the process.

edit: Talking about "Hard Hat Mack", maybe there's a case for it being closest in spirit to DK. Remembering its levels, they seemed to be pretty complex, from a design point of view. I don't think it comes close to it though, gameplay-wise. For the quick run-through I had with it, there seemed to be something awkward about the first level's layout. It lacked "flow" and the goal didn't seem as obvious as DK.

Show some screen shots of Wizard, Ultimate Wizard, and Chukie's Egg as I never heard of nor seen those before. DK is definitely a fun game but not enough screens nor construction set nor DK II nor a way to bring down that barrel screen like you bring down that last level screen.

Show some screen shots of Wizard, Ultimate Wizard, and Chukie's Egg as I never heard of nor seen those before. DK is definitely a fun game but not enough screens nor construction set nor DK II nor a way to bring down that barrel screen like you bring down that last level screen.

DK is more about the elaborate game field than customization or quantity. The barrel stage collapsing would not make much sense. The collapsing platforms of the last stage are a narrative device to establish a satisfying conclusion to the game's (meager) plot.

Interestingly, there is an unofficial sequel in the form of a ROM hack of the original DK arcade game: D2K Jumpman Returns. The official sequel is DK Jr. of course, but then the spiritual sequel to the first would be "Donkey Kong" for the original Game Boy (with Super Game Boy compatibility,) aka Donkey Kong '94. I love that game.

Ultimate Wizard Screenshots

Chuckie Egg Screenshots + Atari 8-bit Screenshots

DK is more about the elaborate game field than customization or quantity. The barrel stage collapsing would not make much sense. The collapsing platforms of the last stage are a narrative device to establish a satisfying conclusion to the game's (meager) plot.

Interestingly, there is an unofficial sequel in the form of a ROM hack of the original DK arcade game: D2K Jumpman Returns. The official sequel is DK Jr. of course, but then the spiritual sequel to the first would be "Donkey Kong" for the original Game Boy (with Super Game Boy compatibility,) aka Donkey Kong '94. I love that game.

Ultimate Wizard Screenshots

Chuckie Egg Screenshots + Atari 8-bit Screenshots

D2K jumpman returns looks interesting. I don't think DK jr. fits in as a sequel-- it looks like a complete role reversal.

Wizard looks like that Jumpman game.

I picked Miner 2049er in the pole, but I really also love Jumpman and Jumpman Jr. And if you're really stretching the category, then Montezuma's Revenge and Pharaoh's Curse deserve a mention.

And if we're also mentioning games on other systems, John Champeau's DOS game, Champ Kong is quite awesome on an old pc. It is an amazingly accurate clone of the arcade Donkey Kong, plus it has a Champ mode which gives you four new screens.