IGNORED

Miner 2049er Vs. Mr. Robot

Divya16

Miner 2049er Vs. Mr. Robot  

37 members have voted

1. 1. Which one do you prefer as good strategy/fun game?

• Miner 2049er
    • Mr. Robot
    • Other similar game (specify in thread)

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

I picked Miner 2049er in the pole, but I really also love Jumpman and Jumpman Jr. And if you're really stretching the category, then Montezuma's Revenge and Pharaoh's Curse deserve a mention.

And if we're also mentioning games on other systems, John Champeau's DOS game, Champ Kong is quite awesome on an old pc. It is an amazingly accurate clone of the arcade Donkey Kong, plus it has a Champ mode which gives you four new screens.

What do you mean "old pc"? It no longer works on modern PCs? I want to give that a shot-- what's the link to John Champeau's Champ Kong?

Montezuma's Revenge and some others are stretching it. The theme for Mr. Robot and Miner 2049er is:

(1) There's a time limit to finish the screen.

(2) You have to finish the screen (dots/dirt).

(3) There are obstacles (monsters),power pills, and finding a strategic path.

(4) The next screen is usually a completely different strategy and there are many screens.

Monteauma's has no time limit and screens basically repeat level to level using same strategy and there's nothing to finish on most screens. Just avoid the obstacles and most of the strategy is just which keys to get when and where. It does have the other element of doing things in darkness which is good memory test.

Since I cannot find any Wizard or Ultimate Wizard .atr files I have to assume they were commodore only games :?

The original Wizard was released for C64 and ported to the ZX Spectrum, but the sequel, Ultimate Wizard, was a C64 exclusive as far as I know. An old magazine scan says that the original was going to be released shortly after for the Amstrad, but I can't find any other mention of it.

Since I cannot find any Wizard or Ultimate Wizard .atr files I have to assume they were commodore only games :?

The original Wizard was released for C64 and ported to the ZX Spectrum, but the sequel, Ultimate Wizard, was a C64 exclusive as far as I know. An old magazine scan says that the original was going to be released shortly after for the Amstrad, but I can't find any other mention of it.

I guess it's okay if people who played these two games (or similar games) on other platforms vote as long as games are comparable to A8 versions.

I picked Miner 2049er in the pole, but I really also love Jumpman and Jumpman Jr. And if you're really stretching the category, then Montezuma's Revenge and Pharaoh's Curse deserve a mention.

And if we're also mentioning games on other systems, John Champeau's DOS game, Champ Kong is quite awesome on an old pc. It is an amazingly accurate clone of the arcade Donkey Kong, plus it has a Champ mode which gives you four new screens.

What do you mean "old pc"? It no longer works on modern PCs? I want to give that a shot-- what's the link to John Champeau's Champ Kong?

Montezuma's Revenge and some others are stretching it. The theme for Mr. Robot and Miner 2049er is:

(4) The next screen is usually a completely different strategy and there are many screens.

Monteauma's has no time limit and screens basically repeat level to level using same strategy and there's nothing to finish on most screens. Just avoid the obstacles and most of the strategy is just which keys to get when and where. It does have the other element of doing things in darkness which is good memory test.

Sorry for the confusion. "Old pc" means DOS. The Champ games are DOS games, so they don't work automatically on PCs after Windows NT. However, you can use the program/emulator DOS-Box to play them on Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7, or Linux. I usually play mine on an old Windows 98 computer, since Windows 98 runs on top of a DOS base and it just plays DOS games natively. Also, with a faster processor the DOS games sometimes go too fast.

From what I understand, John Champeau's site is no longer online due to pressure from the gaming companies whose games he so excellently reproduced. However, there is a fan site you can check out: http://www.champ-em.com/

Sorry for the confusion. "Old pc" means DOS. The Champ games are DOS games, so they don't work automatically on PCs after Windows NT. However, you can use the program/emulator DOS-Box to play them on Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7, or Linux. I usually play mine on an old Windows 98 computer, since Windows 98 runs on top of a DOS base and it just plays DOS games natively. Also, with a faster processor the DOS games sometimes go too fast.

From what I understand, John Champeau's site is no longer online due to pressure from the gaming companies whose games he so excellently reproduced. However, there is a fan site you can check out: http://www.champ-em.com/

But the site states that it's a shareware software so they should allow to download it. Perhaps, you can post that version 1.11. Currently, the link gives the following:

Error 404 - Not found

Die angegebene Seite konnte nicht gefunden werden.

-----

I guess that's some German for "no-can-do".

I think this "Miner 2049er Vs. Mr. Robot" can be settled out of court. Since some claim BBSB and Mr. Robot's screen construction are better than original releases, you can just consider BBSB as some type of official release of "new screens" of Miner 2049er and count the extra screens disk as some unofficial release of Mr. Robot II. That way, you still vote Miner 2049er and just keep in mind that the extra screens are called BBSB whereas for Mr. Robot, the extra screens are just extra screens. By themselves BBSB and the newer challenging screens of Mr. Robot would be too difficult for a person starting out with these games.

I think this "Miner 2049er Vs. Mr. Robot" can be settled out of court. Since some claim BBSB and Mr. Robot's screen construction are better than original releases, you can just consider BBSB as some type of official release of "new screens" of Miner 2049er and count the extra screens disk as some unofficial release of Mr. Robot II. That way, you still vote Miner 2049er and just keep in mind that the extra screens are called BBSB whereas for Mr. Robot, the extra screens are just extra screens. By themselves BBSB and the newer challenging screens of Mr. Robot would be too difficult for a person starting out with these games.

I dunno, BBSB always seemed like a better game to me, rather than just new screens.

I can't get it to work- it states "no can do" in German or perhaps it calling some bad word "gefunden".

Weird... works fine here. Maybe you could try emptying your browser cache and try anew?

I deleted the cache and it still gives that error. I visited that site for first time from another machine so obviously nothing about cache should have affected it.

Well,

try this site: http://www.dosgames.com and if you search for Champ Kong, try here:

http://www.dosgames.com/g_cla.php scroll down until you can see the picture+description of the game.

I used this site and another one (for abandoned commercial games) to download several hundreds DOS games. Why ?!? Well, I am teaching and supporting children with their (school-)homework and other things (this is my job). And some three months ago I got six old PC`s for free with 800Mhz each. After some thinking (we do not have internet there!) I did not install Windows 2000, I did also not install Windows 95 or 98, instead I installed MS-DOS 6.22 on them (still have MS-DOS on four original copy-protected diskettes). One of the several hundreds of DOS games was/is Champ Kong... to make loading of these games easier for the children, I installed some sort of Gamedos on each of these PC`s (named Gaze). Believe it or not, the children are enjoying it to play all those old games. From the site of abandoned games, I also got several original PC oldies from 1981, 1982 and 1983 (e.g. Miner 2049er with CGA graphics; press left-right arrows to move and ESC to jump)...

I thought that most older games (from the 80s and early 90s) would run much too fast on the "newer" 800Mhz machines (from 1999), but less than ten games were actually too fast, all other games worked as fast/slow as on a 16Mhz machine...?!?

-Andreas Koch.

I dunno, BBSB always seemed like a better game to me, rather than just new screens.

If you played the earlier release-- Miner 2049er or Mr. robot, the new version BBSB is like just more screens. I haven't finished too many screens on BBSB so perhaps the theme changes afterwards and it becomes a different game? It's more difficult than Miner 2049er so far.

BBSB introduced improved jump mechanics, as well as visual and gameplay enhancements. Hardly a construction set for Miner...

Also, the construction set for Robot was not a separate product, it was part of the original game package (accessible from the main screen). So, I think it's valid to use both components together in comparison with Miner.

Divya16,

were you able to get the game from the DOSgames site, as Andreas Koch mentioned? That link may work better.

As he also mentioned, there is a downloadable version of Miner 2049er and BBSB out there as well that runs on PCs. The one I have came from the programmer of Miner/BBSB's website. He has it as a Bounty Bob Emulator. You can run it on modern Windows machines, and it has both games together as ROMs inside of an emulator that runs on Windows. You use the arrow to move, esc to jump, and F1 to start new games. Quite nice.

Divya16,

were you able to get the game from the DOSgames site, as Andreas Koch mentioned? That link may work better.

As he also mentioned, there is a downloadable version of Miner 2049er and BBSB out there as well that runs on PCs. The one I have came from the programmer of Miner/BBSB's website. He has it as a Bounty Bob Emulator. You can run it on modern Windows machines, and it has both games together as ROMs inside of an emulator that runs on Windows. You use the arrow to move, esc to jump, and F1 to start new games. Quite nice.

I did get the champ kong 1.1 from that site but it asks you to register to get more levels and I only see the standard screens. Obviously, I rather play the A8 version of DK than this inferior version which has worse sound and not-smooth graphics. But I wanted to try it to see the extra levels which aren't in this download (it seems).

I didn't see any Miner/BBSB PC version at dosgames.com.

Here's where to find the Miner2049er/BBSB emulator to run on Windows or WINE:

http://www.bigfivesoftware.com/Emulator/emulator.htm

That looks like it's just running the Atari version on PC (like any other emulator). I thought perhaps they had a PC version that had more screens or different screens like Champ Kong. Now if it ran on a Nintendo DSi XL or one of those hand helds, that may be more useful.

I was bored and curious, so I checked out the link, and the latest full version, "Kong 1.5" is available from there. Seems like it's the best choice.

http://www.champ-em.com/download.htm

I can't get it to work- it states "no can do" in German or perhaps it calling some bad word "gefunden".

When I click on the link I get the error too. But if you look at the address bar you see that the link is: "http://www.champ-em.com/\download\KONG.ZIP"

Note the two backslashes. Remove the first backslash (the one after the forward slash) and replace the second backslash by a forward slash. Press return en the game downloads.

I noticed the URL in wrong in FireFox but not in MS Internet Explorer. Seems IE is correcting the link when selecting the link.

Robert

Edited by rdemming

I was bored and curious, so I checked out the link, and the latest full version, "Kong 1.5" is available from there. Seems like it's the best choice.

http://www.champ-em.com/download.htm

When I click on the link I get the error too. But if you look at the address bar you see that the link is: "http://www.champ-em.com/\download\KONG.ZIP"

Note the two backslashes. Remove the first backslash (the one after the forward slash) and replace the second backslash by a forward slash. Press return en the game downloads.

I noticed the URL in wrong in FireFox but not in MS Internet Explorer. Seems IE is correcting the link when selecting the link.

Robert

Oh oh, IE is correcting things on its own. I think they were accused of transmitting user info also in the background-- like spyware.