IGNORED

7800 Retro Inspection In Retro Gamer Issue 78

The_Laird

This months Retro Gamer magazine (issue 78) sees a Retro Inspection on our beloved 7800 console. Its a pretty decent write up over 8 pages that gives a positive view of the console. Of course there are a few inaccuracies like usual such as saying the 7800 only had 4 light gun games and not mentioning the Pokey being included in some games.

They end the article with Perfect 10 Games that I am sure most people will not agree with!

1. Pole Position 2

2. Pacman Collection

3. Joust

4. Galaga

5. Desert Falcon

6. Alien Brigade

7. Food Fight

8. Dark Chambers

9. Centipede

10. Space Invaders

• Like 2

Of course there are a few inaccuracies like usual such as saying the 7800 only had 4 light gun games and not mentioning the Pokey being included in some games.

Do you mean more or less light gun games? There are only four which are Alien Brigade, Barnyard Blaster, Sentinel and Crossbow.

Of course there are a few inaccuracies like usual such as saying the 7800 only had 4 light gun games and not mentioning the Pokey being included in some games.

"They" is me (along with material from Curt), and POKEY is not an inaccuracy it's a space limitation. As it was I went over the word limit I was given, and wanted to spend more time on getting more about the development in there. I.E. material that usually has been glossed over in the past. I was glad to finally put to rest the notion that the 7800 was brought out in response to Nintendo as well.

They end the article with Perfect 10 Games that I am sure most people will not agree with!

That's an opinion. And that's the problem with any "perfect game" list and any criticism of said lists - they're both opinions. Someone is always going to say "Why was x game on there?" or "Why wasn't x game on there?"

I put together the list from the games most commonly mentioned as favorites in previous threads here and in other locations. The homebrews made the list because a) They're excellent ports. b) They hold their own in a top 10 list.

Edited by wgungfu
  • Like 3

I absolutely hate that giant rainbow on the european version of the 7800. it's not the original design. i think it's yuckie and i wish they wouldnt have used it in that magazine.

As mentioned, it's a UK mag and done for a UK audience. Likewise when possible they try and have an actual console in front of them to take pictures for the articles, so it would make sense the European version was what would be available there. I did supply some pics of the US model including the expansion port. Curt also supplied all the proto pics, promo pics, schematic pics, etc.

"They" is me (along with material from Curt), and POKEY is not an inaccuracy it's a space limitation. As it was I went over the word limit I was given, and wanted to spend more time on getting more about the development in there. I.E. material that usually has been glossed over in the past. I was glad to finally put to rest the notion that the 7800 was brought out in response to Nintendo as well.

That's an opinion. And that's the problem with any "perfect game" list and any criticism of said lists - they're both opinions. Someone is always going to say "Why was x game on there?" or "Why wasn't x game on there?"

I put together the list from the games most commonly mentioned as favorites in previous threads here and in other locations. The homebrews made the list because a) They're excellent ports. b) They hold their own in a top 10 list.

Marty don't get me wrong I said its an excellent article that is well written and puts the 7800 in a positive light. Shame you couldn't have included about the Pokey but given you had space limitations you did the right thing to include the information you did.

And I never said I didn't agreee with the top 10 (especially the 2 homebrews which are in my personal top 10!) I was merely saying these top 10's always cause arguments ;)

I absolutely hate that giant rainbow on the european version of the 7800. it's not the original design. i think it's yuckie and i wish they wouldnt have used it in that magazine.

well it is a UK magazine :P

They deserved the mention in the article so I asked Marty to include them in the list, just like he said they are great ports and they hold their own in a top 10 list for sure.

I never liked the thick rainbow 7800 version, but actually the page in the article seems to represent it quite well, so it looks pretty darned good...

Hopefully the article will attract more 7800 interest and we'll see some new owners or people coming onto the 7800 section of the board. I think we are all really trying hard together to give the 7800 a whole new life and the new games and hardware are really helping.

Curt

Hmmm.... I wonder who might've added those titles from such a talented coder into the article? :ponder:

Curt, that was you? Thanks, man. :love:

Bob

They deserved the mention in the article so I asked Marty to include them in the list,

Actually it was a dual recognition, which actually proves as to how we both admired Bob's work. We had a phone convsersation that went -

Curt: "You have to make sure and include some of Bob's games in that list"

Me: "Yah, I already had Pac-Man and Space Invaders in it."

which included a simultanious email from you suggesting those two games as well.

(Maybe that's what you meant?)

Edited by wgungfu

If they are worthy, then homebrews should be in there. For the Vectrex article five of the ten were homebrew, and for the Vic20 two of the ten were homebrew. Although the fact I wrote both might have had something to do with that :P

well it is a UK magazine :P

I know it's a UK mag. I'm not criticizing the brilliant and thoughtful article I'm criticizing that goofy fat rainbow on the PAL 7800s. My personal taste is that I never liked it. I find it to be rather uncouth.

It is true --- sick minds think alike! :-)

They deserved the mention in the article so I asked Marty to include them in the list,

Actually it was a dual recognition, which actually proves as to how we both admired Bob's work. We had a phone convsersation that went -

Curt: "You have to make sure and include some of Bob's games in that list"

Me: "Yah, I already had Pac-Man and Space Invaders in it."

which included a simultanious email from you suggesting those two games as well.

(Maybe that's what you meant?)

1. Pole Position 2

2. Pacman Collection

3. Joust

4. Galaga

5. Desert Falcon

6. Alien Brigade

7. Food Fight

8. Dark Chambers

9. Centipede

10. Space Invaders

Galaga sux Bonkey Dalls...

A huge omission that cost someone the trifecta is Jr. Pac-Man. It is the best title available on the 7800.

Pole Position II is a great port and doesn't normally get the respect it deserves.

Joust looks outstanding on the 7800.

Centipede is very cool on the 7800 and my son and I love the team play. That's when classic gaming really shines: two player simultaneous action.

Asteroids and/or Dig Dug could be on that list in place of Dark Chambers. Dark Chambers isn't my cup of tea but my kid loves it. I guess you have to like that genre to determine if the game really sucks or not.

Pretty good list, though...

It was the first ever port of Galaga to a home console and I don't think its a bad port of the game.

1. Pole Position 2

2. Pacman Collection

3. Joust

4. Galaga

5. Desert Falcon

6. Alien Brigade

7. Food Fight

8. Dark Chambers

9. Centipede

10. Space Invaders

Galaga sux Bonkey Dalls...

A huge omission that cost someone the trifecta is Jr. Pac-Man. It is the best title available on the 7800.

Pole Position II is a great port and doesn't normally get the respect it deserves.

Joust looks outstanding on the 7800.

Centipede is very cool on the 7800 and my son and I love the team play. That's when classic gaming really shines: two player simultaneous action.

Asteroids and/or Dig Dug could be on that list in place of Dark Chambers. Dark Chambers isn't my cup of tea but my kid loves it. I guess you have to like that genre to determine if the game really sucks or not.

Pretty good list, though...