IGNORED

5200 dead or alive?

Dgriswell

Is there a way for me to test whether or not my 4-port 5200 console is dead or alive without the 4-port switchbox? The switchbox is the only piece I am missing, and since I picked up the whole setup from a rummage sale, I'm not sure if the system is working or not. If it's not working, I would try bidding on a 2-port system on ebay; but I don't want to do that until I know for sure this one is not working......see my conundrum?

Any advice?

Hmm. Well, I know I can't actually play games on the system without the switchbox. All I am wanting to do at this point is test whether the system will power up...in other words, will the power indicator light up. I've got a couple of test leads, and I was hoping that by attaching the leads to the cord coming from the unit, and sending the correct voltage to the unit that the unit would power up. See where I'm going with this?

Well, with the power attached to the switchbox, and the console plugged in to the switchbox, +9-11 volts is on the center conductor of the cable, and ground is on the outside conductor of the cable.

I'd assume that you could just send +9v to the center post of the cable and ground on the outer ring, and see if the systme powers up. Of course I'd recommend you be VERY careful that the wires don't cross and that you don't mix up which is ground.

And the standard disclaimer applies: I'm just winging this, I'm not certified, I'm not a trained electrician or repairman, and anything or anybody that is damaged or injured based on this advice is completely not my responsibility.

Steve

I'd guess you could plug it into the wall to see if the light comes on, but this

And the standard disclaimer applies: I'm just winging this, I'm not certified, I'm not a trained electrician or repairman, and anything or anybody that is damaged or injured based on this advice is completely not my responsibility.

applies to me, too.

Okay, that's done. I connected the hot lead and ground lead to the cord from the unit, and set me power supply to 9.5 volts. When I pressed the POWER button on the unit, the red light came on for a second, then went back off. Is that what is supposed to happen, or is the light supposed to stay on continuously?