IGNORED

Programming "Trackball Mode" on the CX22 Trak-Ball

If in fact the trakball does have an analog "speed" mode, then I guess the mode control, if not manual, might be controlled via one of the directional bits.

So, maybe try something like this, trakball plugged into port 1 - try other values in line 20, in all likelyhood would be 1, 2, 4, 8 or could possibly be 14, 13, 11 or 7.

10 POKE 54018,56:POKE 54016,15:POKE 54018,60
20 POKE 54016,8:REM also try 4, 2, 1
30 ? PADDLE(0),PADDLE(1):GOTO 30

Edited by Rybags

If in fact the trakball does have an analog "speed" mode, then I guess the mode control, if not manual, might be controlled via one of the directional bits.

So, maybe try something like this, trakball plugged into port 1 - try other values in line 20, in all likelyhood would be 1, 2, 4, 8 or could possibly be 14, 13, 11 or 7.

There's no PIA hooked to the A5200 trackball unless this is for some special A8 trackball.

I found that WD-40 cleaning, then soaking overnight in a "3-in-1" oil treatment works great on the trackball rollers. They roll a bit slower, but feel waaay better, very precise, like a "Brand New" feel. Just be sure to wipe off the excess oil from the exterior of the bearings before you reassemble.

I have had excellent luck with skateboard bearings by cleaning with WD-40, as described above.....<snip!>

Coleman camping fuel is a better solvent than WD-40. They'll both work, but the Coleman fuel is less-messy (not oily) and although it's about $6/gal it's cheaper per unit than WD-40.

Coleman fuel has a dye additive to keep people from using it in cars, I wouldn't recommend it as a solvent. I either use contact cleaner (hydrocarbons and a small amount of very light mineral oil that evaporates without residue), mass airflow sensor cleaner (just hydrocarbons), or if I need to soak for a while Bestine rubber cement thinner. Bestine is pure n-heptane, which is a really amazing solvent.

Of course these do cost more than coleman fuel, which is essentially unleaded gas.

The clear line on the 5200 track ball is held low to force "joystick centered" (ball stationary) output. This line goes to pin 9 on the 5200 game port which is also the CAV line for the joystick potentiometers. Pull the clear (CAV) line low during calibration. Pull high for normal operation, which is output proportional to ball speed. Any position calculations from this speed input are done in the application software.

The 5200 controls the CAV line with GTIA I/O pin S2.

Edited by tep392