IGNORED

Universal power supply?

Dgriswell

Okay, new question. Now that I know my 5200 unit is powering up, I need to know about the power supply. The one I have which is made for the 5200 is dead. I know there is a replaceable fuse inside, but I'm wondering if I can use one of the universal power supllies with the unit. You know, the kind that have all the different male and female plugs, as well as allowing you to select your DC power output to the unit? I'm not a collector, so all original equipment isn't vital to me. However, I want to make sure the available equipment will not kill my console!

I'd go with the universal power supply, that way you get a brand new adaptor that will last you a long time. I have one, but it won't work with anything at all (despite the fact the light goes on when plugged in). I ended up slamming it on the ground and busting the cover off (quite neatly in fact, it didn't break, now I need to know what I'm looking at :D ).

A 5200 draws a lot of juice though, the PS is rated at 2Amps.  Not a lot of universal ones will go that high.  I'm using a genesis-1 PS on mine (rated 1.3A ??), but I wouldn't try plugging a 2600 module in also, that might be too much current.

Really? A genesis 1? Does the tip fit? Isn't the tip negative? Does it work properly?

Really? A genesis 1? Does the tip fit? Isn't the tip negative? Does it work properly?

No no no. Added a separate jack to use a power supply directly on a 4-port without a switchbox. I was blowing fuses in my 5200 supplies with all the modifications I was doing: adding a 7800 motherboard, adding support for genesis pads, 2600 paddles and sms lightgun, adding s-video output for both systems, plus protection circuits so one motherboard can run without zapping the other one with voltages. It's all done now, and lots of fun to play.

John

Yup. Things will go bang very quickly!

Most likely though it will be the power supply not the console. I did the math before I plugged the console in and I dont want to find out from experience whether that itself is true!

Just remember that a *little bit more* (Not a whole lot more!!!) is always better as the device will take what it wants. If an electronic device requires more than the supply's rating then it's going to pull too much of a load on the power supply and cause a failure in the supply. If the technology within the device is insufficient in dealing with the garbage it gets thrown though it too will suffer...