IGNORED

Centipede with joystick, etc.....

Dgriswell

Are there any carts for the 5200 that WILL NOT work with the joyticks? What about the othr way around? I'm just trying to determine if I need to invest in the TRAK-BALL controller.

I don't think that the Trak Ball is REQUIRED for any games, but it makes a great addition if you have the extra cash to get one. If you enjoy Centipede or Missile Command, they play much better.

And to complete that arcade feel, add in a real arcade button to the controller! :D 8)

post-41-1037812627_thumb.jpg

Okay, let me turn that coin over. Can you use the trackball for control of all the games? If so, it would save my having to rebuild the joysticks. I use a trackball on my computer exclusively, so adapting to one would not be hard at all. Are the trackball controllers subject to the same flex circuit failures that the joysticks have?

Hi,

Nope, you can't use it on all the 5200 games, just the few Atari specified as Trakball compatible. Regarding the flex circuits, yes they will fail, but they are rarely used on the Trakball controller keypad, so failure is less likely. I would highly recommend a good cleaning on the Start, Pause, Reset button circuits along with the addition of Aluminum tape on the contacts.

- VD