IGNORED

NEW Atari 2600 Game Shown

Crimefighter

That looks fantastic! I love Star Castle, very cool to see such a nice looking port on the 2600.

I would like to know what bank switching / extra hardware is in the cartridge, if any.

He's using a Harmony cartridge for the demo, so that does open up a wide variety of bankswitching/RAM schemes.

..Al

• Like 1

That is Awesome. I hella want to play it. I almost guessed it might have been a game that was on the vectrex, but couldn't think of which one.

I hope he releases the rom too so poor classic gamers with low funds and no more 2600 like me can try it with emulation.

Edited by Legend

Not really. Your ship has ASTEROIDS type movement. Thrust, rotate, fire... The three little guys, sparkling around are deadly, and can be shot. They are there to limit your movement choices. They originate from the center, and hop from ring to ring, until they either jump or are shot free. The fewer the rings, the quicker they get back out there, after being shot.

You shoot away the rings, avoiding the little baddies, attempting to shoot the big baddie in the center. When a gap is exposed by the rotation of the three rings, the big baddie takes a shot at you. Big ass shot.

That's the game. Keep your ship moving, keep knocking the big baddie down, and face it again, faster, until you can't!

Definitely a joystick game.

The sparks don't even hang on the rings at all...they come at you constantly! I could find a sweet spot and rapid fire at the enemy base and the sparks continuously respawn as fast as I shoot them and make no progress. The hard-chip arcade version of Star Castle is like that.

Not Robotron - someone DID try that with that so-called computer keyboard add-on and it was the most "flickery thing they've ever seen" so it's not that one.

Not Tempest either, ummm...how many different Tron games have been put out for the 2600 already?

In my defense, I was referring to the TRON: Arcade Game. :x :D :D

Star Castle. Very Cool.

I can't remember for 100% what the Yar's Programmer, Howard Scott Warshaw, had said exactly. But basically, he was charged with making Star Castle for the 2600 and told his bosses it either couldn't or shouldn't be done, and made Yar's Revenge instead.

Nice work indeed! I'm eager for this to show up in either homebrew cart form or as a distributable Rom. I wonder how long the guy spent on the project??

Edited by Curious Sofa