IGNORED

Trubobasic timing

Roydea6

I have read somewhere that Turbobasic 1.5 could be Americianized so that the peek address at 18, 19, & 20 will update at 60hz instead of 50hz.

Would any of the current versions already be converted, or do I have to convert my own file.

So much talk recently about Turbobasic [GAME] programming. I just had to ask.

I have read somewhere that Turbobasic 1.5 could be Americianized so that the peek address at 18, 19, & 20 will update at 60hz instead of 50hz.

Would any of the current versions already be converted, or do I have to convert my own file.

So much talk recently about Turbobasic [GAME] programming. I just had to ask.

That's probably my fault (what another blatent plug for my upcoming abbuc entry Gwobby Strikes Back) :ponder: I've got a timer in my new game so have only tested on NTSC via altira, didn't want it to be too fast on NTSC and run out, boy this international game programming sure is fun :!: Could do with a pre game/autorun utility/menu to allow PAL/NTSC/speed selection (for all games even) :)

Somewhat pointless the way I see things.

All it takes is about 2 extra statements and using a constant instead of /50 or /60 to get the proper time.

And as for object movement, if it's VBI based, then you're kinda stuck with whatever system you're running on. Inserting 10 extra move phases a second on PAL so it appears the same speed would not only look crappy, but also possibly overrun such that updates were occurring while the screen's being drawn.

Likewise, holding back on NTSC for 10 of 60 would look choppy.

Best method is to just have the constant as RTC divisor, then engineer the game such that it's not too easy on PAL and not too quick on NTSC. If it's just a straightforward Basic program that runs at whatever speed you can manage without regard to frame timing, then it'll likely be quicker on a PAL machine anyway.

TIA

The docs that I have say that if the "READY" prompt is replaced by "TURBO" then it is already converted to NTSC. You probably have this version, because it was on Compuserve, etc. and many other places.

-Larry

TIA

The peek addresses you speak about are updated by OS, not by TBXL. So if you have an NTSC Atari, they get updated at 60 Hz.

You probably meant not peek 18-20, but the TBXL pseudovariable TIME$, right?

The peek addresses you speak about are updated by OS, not by TBXL. So if you have an NTSC Atari, they get updated at 60 Hz.

i was thinking this, but since i have no exp with TB, wasnt 100% sure if TB changed them or something...

sloopy.

yes that is what I meant. I have a basic clock routine that doesn't keep the time, but it use to back when I was using my blackbox and harddrive. I found the program it patch TBXL so now I have to get it into an atr an on my SIO2SD.icon_ponder.gif