IGNORED

Hello! new jaguar owner

prodigal-son

Prodigal, I think you'll find games you can enjoy. Syndicate is a toss up and seems to be an acquired taste, so not a good place to start. Iron Soldier is generally regarded as a good game (as is Iron Soldier II), though. Hover Strike comes in two versions: cart and CD. The former is not felt to be very good whereas the latter is. I believe you will enjoy Raiden, Rayman, Tempest 2000, Super Burnout, Doom and AVP...

THIS. The first 4 games TrekMD listed are THE must-haves on the Jag, though I would also add Cybermorph personally. Doom & AVP (also Wolfenstein 3D) are all decent on the Jag, but you can't circle strafe, and AVP hasn't aged well at all. Hover Strike is completely playable (and enjoyable) on CD, but the frame rate on the cart version just kills it. The games you got are a very rough introduction aside from Iron Soldier. That one is a great game; it's just hard as nails.

The only fighter on system that is worth playing is Ultra Vortek. Primal Rage is CD only and prohibitively expensive. The Jag version of NBA Jam, aside from the music, is absolutely ACE. Atari Karts, Missile Command 3D & Power Drive Rally, all of which can be on the expensive side, are also all good stuff. Val d'Isere Skiing & Snowboarding is a semi-sequel to the SNES Mode 7 Tommy Moe skiing game, and it is also a lot of fun (and cheap). Cannon Fodder is a great Amiga port, as is Zool 2. The Jag also has a great version of Zoop.

I am far from a fanatic about the system (though I LOVE the VLM & BattleMorph on the CD), but it isn't anywhere near as bad as your first impression of it. Also, on a side note, do yourself a favor and track down either a composite or S-Video cable. The Jag RF is frickin' awful.

Final note: The rotary is fantastic for T2K, but it also plays great with the pad. I'd honestly buy more of the recommended games, or the most excellent Pro Controller, first unless you are absolutely smitten with T2K. It's worth it in the long run, but not as an out of the gate purchase.

thanks i will. Thats funny your the second person ive heard say that about avp.I almost bought space war 2000 the other day anyone ever play that?

thanks i will. Thats funny your the second person ive heard say that about avp.I almost bought space war 2000 the other day anyone ever play that?

Yeah, I wasn't a huge fan of AvP either. I mean, I like it.. but the fast-paced DOOM/Wolf3D types are more of my style. AvP is sluggish and it can get confusing on where you are supposed to go (It's not particularly linear like your standard run 'n gun shooter). It does have the ambience factor on its side, though..

Edited by Austin

@OP

I did not start enjoying the Jaguar until last summer (owned mine for years though), mostly due to subpar games so I feel your pain. I grew up on the Genesis, so the Jaguar's primitive 3D titles and PC ports did not initially appeal to me. Here is quick, Genesis/SNES gamer's buyer's guide for the Jag:

Cheap good games ($10 - $20):

Super Burnout (best 3rd person 2D racer ever, EVER)

Val d'Isere Skiing and Snowboarding (fun snowboarding game)

Zool 2 (decent platformer with good music)

Doom (best cartridge port, fun!)

Mid priced games ($20 - $35):

Raiden (one of my favorite shmups)

Power Drive Rally (if you like racing games)

Tempest 2000 (interesting shooter)

Pricey:

Atari Karts (prefer it over Mario Kart, no lie)

Rayman (solid platformer)

Hope that helps. And as others have stated, AvP has not aged well. I find it slow and boring.

thanks for the advice. Honestly my expectations was just that i was hoping it would be better than my super nintendo.I am so pumped though to get going on some more purchases i want to get a catbox soon as i can find one on ebay and a jaguar cd but after watching the video game nerds jaguar episodes i am very weary lol hope they are not all broke.I actually called the company ICD an asked if they had any catboxes left anywhere haha that didnt go over too well lol.

no i do not collect vintage games or cars or anything. Vintage comics...yes i do! lolhaha it was tom harker who i talked to he was like " why the hell would you think that" and "who in the hell ever gave you that idea" lolol

You called ICD recently huh???, but they are not a company anymore?, for years now,... their offices have been emptied, and probably leased to someone else I am sure. As a matter of fact a cleaning guy or the new occupant to either his offices or storage found a cash of pre-production Catboxes and test Catboxes and boards. A member here bought several of them, they have no logo printing on them. There is the thread here somewhere. Also, I heard Tom's new company is internet service now in Tennessee or Arkansas or some southern state. Very surprised that you called him & talked to him at ICD -I also find this hard to believe knowing the facts we know.

Tom Harker is infamous in the Jaguar scene for burning like at least 30 people that were pre-paid $70+ for catboxes, many people ordering two or more units.

Are you Tom Harkers' son or something?

BTW-Atari Jaguar is a really cool & unique system with a hard to describe draw to it. You either like it or you don't, but you have to put a good amount of time into the games to make a fair judgment for yourself about it.

Edited by ovalbugmann
  • Like 3

I dunno i'm finding this whole thing a little suspicious - i hope i'm wrong.

I agree, I was about to call bullshit the moment he said Iron Soldier was terrible but now I am even more convinced with his retarded and abviously made up story about calling ICD (a company that dosn't even exist).

Its ok we can always do with more trolls on the Jag scene :roll:

• Like 2

I dunno i'm finding this whole thing a little suspicious - i hope i'm wrong.

I agree, I was about to call bullshit the moment he said Iron Soldier was terrible but now I am even more convinced with his retarded and abviously made up story about calling ICD (a company that dosn't even exist).

Its ok we can always do with more trolls on the Jag scene :roll:

Hey, not everybody is going to fall all over Jaguar. I've seen people who didn't like Iron Soldier at all before now, so his not liking that game doesn't really seem supspect. Besides, he says he has every intention of giving Jaguar a second chance, rather than just say "Jag sux and so do its 3 games".

And just FYI, the only "trolls" I've ever seen here are the people who defend Jaguar (*cough*kevincal*cough*). Anytime someone says something the least bit antagonizing about Jaguar, people fly up his nose and say that he's just trying to give Jaguar a bad reputation.

• Like 2

And just FYI, the only "trolls" I've ever seen here are the people who defend Jaguar (*cough*kevincal*cough*). Anytime someone says something the least bit antagonizing about Jaguar, people fly up his nose and say that he's just trying to give Jaguar a bad reputation.

Just FYI You haven't been here long - its often been a sport to come in and bait the Jag forum - thats why people here get overly defensive.

Just go back and look at the antics of Phonedork and kickinwing amongst others.

It usualy starts the same way - claiming to be a fan or to have just bought a jag (sometimes they'll even have an id with jag in the name) - then it turns to hyperbole about what a disappointment it is and how awful the games are compared to SNES or Genesis... then it turns to outright baiting.

Its happened many, MANY times. Its no wonder people get fed up with it.

Edited by Atari_Owl
  • Like 2

no i do not collect vintage games or cars or anything. Vintage comics...yes i do!

Great.... for vintage comics, I have a a few handful of stuff from the 50's and 60's. LMK what you're looking for and I'll see if I have it. I know there's some Ripley's, Ghost Stories, a MAD magazine with the Star Trek characters Spock and Kirk on the cover, some Three Stooges and some other random TV (like the man from u.n.c.l.e.), horror, sci-fi and war type comics...

Good to see a new member. An open mind goes a long way and everyone will most certainly have 3 opinions for each thing due to the passionate nature of everyone.

Lots of very knowledgable peopel like Atari Owl, Laird, Save 2600, etc so much info and people and I am to ill to type it all out sry. If you can as with anything explore and find out for yourself because sometimes it's a very pleasant surprise.

Welcome to the community, please keep things positive, and enjoy your stay.

• Like 2

Agreed,

it's one thing not to like certain games but as soon as the name Tom Harker dropped for no apparent reason it startet to be strange...

I only dropped the name because he said he "talked to someone at ICD". :rolling:

Lest we be reminded: 'For entertainment purposes only'.

Edited by save2600
  • Like 1

Just FYI You haven't been here long - its often been a sport to come in and bait the Jag forum - thats why people here get overly defensive.

Just go back and look at the antics of Phonedork and kickinwing amongst others.

It usualy starts the same way - claiming to be a fan or to have just bought a jag (sometimes they'll even have an id with jag in the name) - then it turns to hyperbole about what a disappointment it is and how awful the games are compared to SNES or Genesis... then it turns to outright baiting.

Its happened many, MANY times. Its no wonder people get fed up with it.

lol okay whatever.The guy i talked to was definetly tom harker i went to ICD.com got the number from the website, called then got diverted to sales and talked to tom harker. The company i got when i called did say riverrock internet or something though. Why would i make that up it doesnt make sense.I just came here to find out decent games and stop wasting money.

Hmmm seems the ICD website is still up, HERE is the number if somebody wants to ring it.

The site is HOSTED by Rock River Internet so I can see where he got that part of the story from, although why a website hoster would answer the phone of a company that doesn't exist.

If you had wanted to know the Jags best games you could have just done a search, there are so many threads about this. You really didn't get off to a good start by not telling us what games you had and have never told us why you didn't like them you just said they were rubbish (alot of people call that trolling :P )

When you speak to Tom Harker next tell him there are alot of people still waiting for their catboxes or their money back ;)

I am a new jag owner not someone who came here to bait people an then be like haha jaguar sucks lol thats crazy and its wierd people have actually done that. I like this site, i got alot of info on atari here before i bought the system. The whole tom harker thing... call this number an find out for yourself 815-968-3888 then press 1 for sales it says rockriver internet or somehting but press one for sales an u'll get tom harker thats the number i got off icd.com. I called an i did talk to him an he was an ass i dont care.

Some of the Jag's best games are on CD so I am not sure why you would have that response ;)

It's the concept of not pursuing the great titles we've already mentioned to acquire some extremely pricey and not so necessary add-ons for a guy that's nigh impressed with the system right off the bat.

But you're right - there's a few good games for it. Just the bang for buck aspect is to be debated. It's a lot of dough to cough up just to play enhanced versions of Cybermorph and Hoverstrike. Course if you love Dragons Lair, Primal Rage and maybe some homebrew puzzlers and unreleased/unfinished games down the road - oh and don't forget you'll need to get a Memory Track too! Jaguar is NOT necessarily a "cheap" system to collect for. Just don't get pissed at me after spending $400-$500 acquiring these rare Jaguar items and you're still sitting there scratching your head wondering what all the hullaballoo is about. :lol:

• Like 1

Some of the Jag's best games are on CD so I am not sure why you would have that response ;)

It's the concept of not pursuing the great titles we've already mentioned to acquire some extremely pricey and not so necessary add-ons for a guy that's nigh impressed with the system right off the bat.

But you're right - there's a few good games for it. Just the bang for buck aspect is to be debated. It's a lot of dough to cough up just to play enhanced versions of Cybermorph and Hoverstrike. Course if you love Dragons Lair, Primal Rage and maybe some homebrew puzzlers and unreleased/unfinished games down the road - oh and don't forget you'll need to get a Memory Track too! Jaguar is NOT necessarily a "cheap" system to collect for. Just don't get pissed at me after spending $400-$500 acquiring these rare Jaguar items and you're still sitting there scratching your head wondering what all the hullaballoo is about. :lol:

• Like 1

Which is why I almost choked when you said you wanted a Catbox and JagCD! :lol:

I think for anyone who doesn't own several complete Jag setups with multiple copys of air cars or battlesphere (the few games that support network play via the catbox) and who at the same time has friends who enjoy the system and games to play them together, the catbox is very hard to find, very expensive and pointless. Unless you are a collector and don't care how much money you spend.

If it's just a way to get easier access to the video port, you can just buy the right cables and be done with it.

prodigal-son said he would try something like 10 games and if they suck in his opinion, he would drop the Jag, so it doesn't sound like he's that kind of collector. So why a catbox? I once had one many years ago, but it seems like one of the items you hardly ever hear people talk about these days.

Mainly because it's only interesting for network play (which is a big investment) or collecting.

I'm surprised somebody who just got a Jag would ask for good games (as most games are well known from other systems and don't need much explaining) and at the same time know about the catbox, which is much less obvious.

A JagCD may make sense, though, but only if you're into the Jag and its games.

• Like 2

yea i want to buy more games FIRST im expecting to like the games im not expecting them to suck and be done with it. Then maybe after ill buy the jag cd and the catbox. Catbox strictly for collectible reasons-if i enjoy a few games because there is no sense in collecting something you hate. What is this?! you guys are freaking me out.I got the catbox info from here then looked up ICD and same with battlesphere i saw it just went for 565 on ebay. im done answering stupid questions and justifying myself.You guys are all correct im here to collect every jag on earth then smash them with hammers.

• Like 4