• I posted a suggestion for a name

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

OKay,

Looks like its a close tie for

7800 Expansion Module

and

7800 Super Game Module

Curt

I like "7800 Super Game Module". That is what it basically is if I understand the project correctly. Plus it is really easy to state on a cart that game is "Super (place name here)" game. Of course that wouldn't work so well with Super Pac-Man. :P (Super, Super Pac-Man)

• Like 1

In all seriousness, I really think "Expansion Module" is the right name for this. "Super Game Module" has already been coined my Opcode with the upcoming Colecovision module, and the word "expansion" kind of means something Atari...at least to me. They were pretty notorious for unused "expansion" ports....only this time something is REALLY coming out :)

So, my vote is definitely for "7800 Expansion Module"

• Like 1

I think both 7800 Expansion Module and 7800 Super Game Module are okay names, but I'm leaning more toward Super Game Module.

The reason being that Expansion module is a bit too generic and I wouldn't know if it were a keyboard attachment, a voice attachment (like intellivioce), a steering wheel, a floppy drive, or something for storing highscores etc. You get the point.

Super Game Module on the other hand, lets me know that it's something to enhance the games; whether it's additional RAM, better sound, etc. Also, for an acronym, I like SGM better than EM.

All that being said, I still think there may be a better choice than either of these... I just haven't heard it yet. I do like some of the ideas in this post and this post. Maybe something could be done with those ideas, like Enhanced Game Module (EGM), 7800XS, 7800XG, or 7800EX. Heh, I do kind of like 7800XS, like excess.

As for similarity with Colecovision module names, I really couldn't care less and don't think that should play a role in this decision. Two totally different subjects so there can be no confusion anyway. Besides that, I wouldn't want to see a good name overlooked because it's similar to a name for something else that it has nothing to do with.

Now that I've let me serious opinion be known, how about Ms. Piggy? And of course you must add the subtext "Making game with utmost funny!"

• Like 1

OKay, from the votes its pretty clear, the winner is:

7800 Expansion Module.

So that is the final name for the product.

Oh crap! While I was proofreading my post and making edits, you've posted a decision. PLEASE don't rush the name. It's only been open for a day. I say please let the conversation continue for a little while.

edit: Besides that, some of the other suggestions could be added to the poll.

Edited by KevinMos3

Thank you for extending the poll.

I think maybe we should be allowed to change our vote until the end and I really wouldn't know how to best manage some of the suggestions here that aren't in the poll.

For me personally, I've been turned OFF of the 7800 Expansion Module name. It wasn't until I was re-reading my earlier post that I decided that. The more I read over my post, the more I was turned off of that name for the reasons listed earlier. Maybe others have had similar experiences after reading their own or someone else' post.

Right now, I think I still favor:

7800 Super Game Module

with

7800 Enhanced Game Module

and

7800XS

taking a close 2nd.

If someone comes up with a better idea, I don't think it will currently allow me to change my vote.

• Like 1

While I am working on both projects, I would prefer that the 7800 version be named something else that not "Super Game Module". The reason is because I am already using that for the ColecoVision module (and because Coleco had a similar but never released module with that name in the 80s). And we have the fact that the ColecoVision Super Game Module is an officially licensed Coleco product.

That is probably my fault for being slow, but I wouldn't like to repeat the "Pac-Man Collection" fiasco, where I started and announced the game way back in 2004 just to see a 7800 version with the same name released before mine. ;)

While I am working on both projects, I would prefer that the 7800 version be named something else that not "Super Game Module". The reason is because I am already using that for the ColecoVision module (and because Coleco had a similar but never released module with that name in the 80s). And we have the fact that the ColecoVision Super Game Module is an officially licensed Coleco product.

That is probably my fault for being slow, but I wouldn't like to repeat the "Pac-Man Collection" fiasco, where I started and announced the game way back in 2004 just to see a 7800 version with the same name released before mine. ;)

Atari also pretty much diluted the meaning of the "Super" term with their "Super Game" cartridges for the 7800 which was just mostly marketing not to mention calling the 5200 the "Super System". It's the main reason I didn't vote for it.

I thought Pacman Collection was a name for a release for the Game Boy Advance in 2001 :)