• 7800 Super Game Module
    • 7800 ProSystem Enhancer
    • 7800 Super Module
    • I posted a suggestion for a name

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

*waves hand Kenobi-like*

7800 Expansion Module will do fine.

I'm immune to your Jedi tricks. ;)

I still think 7800 Expansion Module is too non-descriptive -- too generic.

Of the given choices, I prefer 7800 Super Game Module, (because it includes elements that accounted for games being labeled "Super Game Cartridge"), but I still think there has to be something better that we haven't heard yet. Let's get those creative juices flowing folks!

• Like 2

It may sound generic but it's in keeping with the 1984 branding. The prototype keyboard wasnt called "the super deluxe non generic hyperdrive keyboard" or something else, it just said "atari 7800 computer keyboard" on it, and i think if one of curt's goals is to stay true to what could have been done in 1984 that includes the name and packaging.

• Like 2

It has to be non-specific sounding because it serves multiple purposes, more than just adding ram or pokey sound. 7800 Expansion Module adequately covers all those functions. Super Game Module sounds like it will only work with specific Super Games, but games labeled Super Games already exist, yet take no use or benefit from this device.

It's a redundant name that also contradicts it's actual use, vs already existing carts.

Expansion Module doesn't contradict anything, but still accurately describes it's use.

Edited by Underball

More silliness, but maybe some people are right and we're going in the wrong direction with the descriptive names.

The Toaster - with a little redesign, it could even look like a slice of toasted bread. Hey, it can even do video effects, but that name has been taken already. ;)

Moon Unit - desperation is the mother of invention.

My First Skynet - just model-in a red LED eye-like design, maybe include a simple ethernet protocal module that can pull data down to update the OS.

Edited by AtariNerd

The 7800 keyboard isn't really a good example because a keyboard is a keyboard. You don't need to add anything to the name to describe it's function. An Expansion Module on the other hand could be anything. It could BE a keyboard. It could be a voice module. It could be a steering wheel like the Coleco Expansion Module #1. It could play Sega Dreamcast games and be Expansion Module #9-9-99. It could be a cup holder. Heck, it could be a foot warmer (keep them tootsies toasty while you play).

I'm not lobbying FOR 7800 Super Game Module as much as I'm lobbying against 7800 Expansion Module. I simply think the former is more fitting and descriptive than the latter. I believe it sounds as much like something Atari would have named it as anything else I've heard so far.

I also don't believe there is a contradiction with its use or existing games. On the contrary. It contains elements that are IN the Super Game Cartridges, so it seems to be very fitting for a console addon. We have Super Games with pokey or extra RAM. We'll have a console addon with pokey, extra RAM, plus more. Super Game Cartridges & 7800 Super Game Module. edit: or 7800 Enhanced Game Module (EGM for short). Even 7800 ProSystem Enhancer is good and currently in 3rd place.

In reality, us debating whether one is more confusing etc. is irrelevant since we aren't an uniformed customer strolling by the boxed unit on a Toys R' Us shelf. In this case, everyone buying it will know exactly what they're getting and marketing isn't an issue. I'm just saying I prefer to have a less generic name merely for personal taste.

All that said... I'll reiterate... I still believe there's a better name than what we're debating right now. We just haven't heard it yet.

Edited by KevinMos3
  • Like 2

Maybe there should be another vote between the two most popular choices? It seems the more people talk about it, the more it starts to swing in favor of the "Super Game Module".

I've got to give Curt props for subjecting himself to the avalanche of opinions that accompanies a poll of this nature. I know if I were releasing a product like this, I'd just call it whatever I wanted to and not feel guilty about it (you what they say about opinions).

That said, I really like "7800 Expansion Module"; Atari would definitely have used a name like that during the Warner era.

Thanks for all the hard work on this, Curt and team.

Consider it a lively marketing board room discussion. Those things usually go through phases anyway. No reason to discourage more discourse. More discussion will only help the process and if we stop focusing on only two of the choices, maybe someone will think of a better one.

Now, once the project manager says the time is up -- the thing is going into production -- we all can stop the board room squabbling and get behind the chosen name... but not before.

edit:

Maybe there should be another vote between the two most popular choices?

That sounds like a very sensible idea... where a third or fourth party candidate doesn't give us a result that only has 40% support. :thumbsup: All this being said, I would have and will support whatever Curt decides. I'm excited that we get to be a part of the process.

Edited by KevinMos3