IGNORED

Activision Anthology ROCKS!

tillenterprises

- Pitfall II, which I was excited about playing, doesn't seem quite right.  Or was the music always that horrible in the original version?  There's a voice in it that is WAY flatter than I recall.

Hmm, at first I thought it was just me, but yeah. Actually the way I hear it, the music/theme is audibly higher in pitch than playing a real copy on a vintage Atari. Maybe we're both wrong, but at least we're wrong together! :D

I haven't played the actual Pitfall II cartridge for the 2600 in over a decade, but I had borrowed it many times from some of my friends. I immediately noticed that the pitch on the music was too high.

One other minor complaint that I don't believe was mentioned is that the games seem to run in interlace mode. This causes the whole screen to flicker a bit, like some early Amiga high-res games did. It's not too bad, and you generally don't notice it when you're engrossed in a game, but it would've been better if they shifted to a low-res mode to eliminate the flicker.

Cool, I hope it'll have a PAL60 mode. I'd better start saving for a PS2 then.

Sorry, but I don't think so. :sad:

Or is the release date so far in the future, that I'll be able to trade some unwanted Christmas gifts for it?  ;)

I don't know, but according to my informations it shouldn't take too long. :)

But after the Ghostbusters thing fell by the wayside, I was employed by Ken Love at Activision (the title's producer) to make slight alterations to other games to reflect current copyrights, etc.  You may notice "Skworks Technology" on a couple of the Absolute titles (Baseball, Title Match Pro Wrestling, etc.).

So you made those copyright hacks. I had already wondered about that.

Don't be too disappointed about Sony's bad decission. I'm sure your hacks will show up somewhere, sometime, somehow... :)

Just played Activision Anthology and it really rocks! It is so cool to have the music playing in the background while you play a game. Reminds me of my college days when I would be listening to the radio while playing a game on my Atari. Sweet! :)

I can't wait to unlock all the other aspects of the CD. Too bad that Sony nixed the ability to download some of the other games. I hope it is not because they are getting greedy and are going to release an Activision Anthology 2 CD.

I wish that someone would create a paddle for the Playstation2. I would have been willing to pay extra for a good paddle with this CD as Kaboom is not playable with the Playstation controller although the Playstation controller is great for Spider Fighter.

I can't wait to unlock all the other aspects of the CD. Too bad that Sony nixed the ability to download some of the other games. I hope it is not because they are getting greedy and are going to release an Activision Anthology 2 CD.
It's actually a DVD 8) , and there really isn't enough leftover material for a sequel, since they put almost the entire catalog on this disc! :D :D

We've got access to so many oldies via emulation now, it's hard to imagine a demand for more compilations like this. I wonder if I'm finally satisfied/satiated?

We've got access to so many oldies via emulation now, it's hard to imagine a demand for more compilations like this.  I wonder if I'm finally satisfied/satiated?

Then why's Ken asking for M-Network stuff, hmm? I don't think we've seen the end of this; there may very well be a sequel. :D

If sales go well (and by the overwhelmingly positive reaction, I don't see why they wouldn't) I'm sure there will be a sequel. There's all those games that were originally meant for download, plus (as was stated previously) Activision is willing to license other catalogues.

Besides, I was told by Ken Love that there might be more stuff for me to do, so take that as you will...

Look, Colonel, some things just can't happen.

i'd personally like to see the sales go well to warrant another collection, but what would really be nice is to have an all-encompassing collection with the quality of AA for Intellivision. no matter how good Inty lives and Inty rocks are, playing them on a pc keyboard still lacks a bit :D, and Inty deserves to have the memory of the psx1 emulation package forgotten too ^^. And because of the PC products, inty productions already has a huge amount of video footage for museum/archives purposes which AA is unfortunately short of ^^

gavv

Just picked it up today...

So far it kicks major sweet booty. I even love the '80s music. (Before I bought the game, I figured that I'd end up turning the music off within 5 minutes, but the relaxing '80s melodies really add to the experience.)

I haven't tried everything yet in the Anthology, but so far I've (re)played:

Keystone Kapers: My personal favorite. Classic gameplay that still hasn't gone out of style - even after 20 years.

Enduro: Really great visuals for its time and an example of what can be done with a little imagination.

Pitfall: Believe it or not, I had NEVER played this before today. Even now, I can see why it was such a big deal.

Commando: Since it came out in '88, I doubt too many old-time 2600 fans got to play this. I actually had (and still have) the original cart. Even after all these years, it's still good fun.

Maybe it's just me, but the controls seem slightly more responsive (except Kaboom, which I haven't tried yet, but other people here have said doesn't control nearly as well because of the lack of a paddle). My guess is that the PS2 controller is easier to handle than that horrible Atari joystick was. Also, the graphics seem a tad bit sharper. Mind you, the games look exactly the same - just crisper. Am I imagining things or is there something to what I'm saying? :)

Either way, Anthology is awesome. Well worth the $30. It's a shame about the online feature being canned at the last second (not that I have a network adapter anyway). Here's hoping they release the rest of the games on a $10 add-on disc or something. :)

Is this stuff just not being mentioned or is it just not there at all?

Tracking people down to do interviews' date=' etc. would have been costly and so was not on the agenda.

Say, that's a terrific outfit you have on. What is it? Whale fox?

You are aware that interview footage already exists, don't you?

And barring that, how hard would it possibly be to include text-based interviews and trivia?

I even love the '80s music. (Before I bought the game, I figured that I'd end up turning the music off within 5 minutes, but the relaxing '80s melodies really add to the experience.)

Yes, the music they chose to include is excellent!

Also, the graphics seem a tad bit sharper. Mind you, the games look exactly the same - just crisper. Am I imagining things or is there something to what I'm saying? :)

No, you're not imagining it. I think it has to do with the fact that the PS2 has better video output hardware than a machine that was designed 25 years ago. :) I'm only using composite, but it definitely looks crisper than RF from my 2600 or 7800.

Either way, Anthology is awesome. Well worth the $30.

That's for sure!

It's 35 bucks at EB/Gamestop. It's 30 bucks at Toys R Us.

This is one of the reasons I usually don't shop at Gamestop. They often will tack on an extra $5 to new games when they come out, which brings the game above the suggested retail price. I hate companies that do this, so I generally take my wallet elsewhere and give it to companies that don't try to take advantage of people.

..Al

Use the force and go to EB.

Not so fast. :D Some EBs do the exact same thing (tacking on an extra $5 to the price). In fact, mine used to do it, which is why I stopped shopping there for a while. When I decided that I wanted - no, NEEDED 8) - Activision Anthology, I went online to look for it. BestBuy.com, which has free shipping, said "will ship in 5-7 days" (too long a wait when the rest of their games usually ship within 28/48 hours), my other free shipping places didn't have the game, and the rest of the retailers (Amazon, EBgames.com, etc.) charge a ridiculous 4-5 bucks for shipping. So, for once, the mall had the cheapest price. I was shocked when I called EB and they said they had the game for 30 bucks (I was expecting a BS $35 pricetag because of their past inflation tactics). I rushed off to get it, and I've been lovin' life ever since. :love:

This is great. I got and played to death my copy today, unlocked a slew of stuff (I dig the 1982 Activision commercial featuring the programmers).

This is by far the best Atari game compilation on a console ever. The emulation is near to exact and the biggest news is the controls are a hell of a lot better than any other past release.

Big thanks to Activision and the developers who put this together!

(Now how about a way to hook up atari controllers to a ps2....hmmm)

Some of the effects are really cool. I unlocked an effect that similates like a cloudy, foggy night. It is fun to play River Raid in that mode since you get the feeling that you are trying to attack the enemy and using the cloud cover to keep yourself concealed.

The commercial for River Raid is also fun to watch. I can't wait to see all the different things included on the DVD.

Let me also add my voice to the chorus saying that this game rocks hard!

The only thing that I can think of that would make this collection better is if it had Riddle of the Sphinx and Star Voyager on it.

I hope they are getting the rights to some more Atari 2600 games. I'd definitely buy another compilation of this quality.