IGNORED

Activision Anthology ROCKS!

tillenterprises

• 11 years later...

And it still rocks 12 years later. :) Man, I'd love to see Activision Anthology re-emerge on one of this generation's systems. It had a little run for the PS1, PS2, and Gameboy Advance, and surely retrogamers would snap it off of the shelves yet again.

As best I could tell, it seemed that the PS2 had the best selection of anthologies of any system thus far (Atari, Activision, Capcom, Namco, Sega, SNK, Taito, Midway, etc). Definitely a strong reason to always keep one hooked up. ;)

• Like 3

And it still rocks 12 years later. :) Man, I'd love to see Activision Anthology re-emerge on one of this generation's systems. It had a little run for the PS1, PS2, and Gameboy Advance, and surely retrogamers would snap it off of the shelves yet again.

As best I could tell, it seemed that the PS2 had the best selection of anthologies of any system thus far (Atari, Activision, Capcom, Namco, Sega, SNK, Taito, Midway, etc). Definitely a strong reason to always keep one hooked up. ;)

The PSP version of Activision Anthology works on the Vita and PSTV, though you need to load it from a PS3. I love that collection too, especially with the 1980s pop music soundtrack. Very nice. On the PSTV, it even looks kinda CRT-fuzzy.

I agree that the PS2 had some nice collections on disc, but I don't think you can beat the XBOX 360 for retro variety. I'm especially glad they're all downloadable to the hard drive.

Nice that this necro thread has resurfaced, like an ET game buried in the desert.

Does anyone know if this compilation can output at 15 kHz progressive "240p" just as the original Atari does, to achieve authentic look instead of flickering or blurry image?

Considering how Atomic Planet's other compilations don't do 240p, my guess is no. Not sure why companies didn't support it either since PS2 has a native 240p mode.

And it still rocks 12 years later. :) Man, I'd love to see Activision Anthology re-emerge on one of this generation's systems. It had a little run for the PS1, PS2, and Gameboy Advance

There is a PC version too. I bought it at a Half Price Books for $4 a few months ago even though I own a PS2 copy. I haven't played it, but the box suggests that it has more games in it than the PS2 version.

Considering how Atomic Planet's other compilations don't do 240p, my guess is no. Not sure why companies didn't support it either since PS2 has a native 240p mode.

It does not, probably due to the fact extra video effects can be added to the display.

There is a PC version too. I bought it at a Half Price Books for $4 a few months ago even though I own a PS2 copy. I haven't played it, but the box suggests that it has more games in it than the PS2 version.

The PC version has homebrew games. It's pretty much the same list of homebrews that the Game Boy Advance version has. The PC version also has a different selection of '80s music tracks to play along with your games, and lets you add your own MP3 playlists.

About all I'd change with it is add more games to it like the several missing Imagic games (Too bad that Sony killed their DLC plans).

Excellent emulation, although I remember Pitfall II being slightly off and the sound effect when hitting a log in Pitfall was screwed up. And it's difficult to imagine a better lineup than this amazing selection of classics.

It's particularly nice to play with an arcade stick since some of this like River Raid didn't translate so well to a Dual Shock (Sadly, there's no saving Kaboom without an actual rotary controller, although USB mouse support would've been nice to see).

And I suppose that Stelladapter support would be nice like was briefly considered for Atari Anthology on the PS2 by Digital Eclipse (Curt spoke about it in a thread around here, as I recall).

Edit: And there's a missing Activision commercial that I've seen a link posted to on YouTube around here. And no high score support kind of stunk and perhaps is the top issue among a very short list.

The PSP version of Activision Anthology works on the Vita and PSTV, though you need to load it from a PS3.

It's on the compatibility list for the PSTV, so it should be able to be downloaded directly there (Unlike with the Vita handheld where your workaround must be used).

https://support.us.playstation.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5376/~/games-compatible-with-playstation-tv

Nice that this necro thread has resurfaced, like an ET game buried in the desert.

Since this thread has been resurrected, the stillborn DS and Wii versions that were proposed by Code Mystics but not taken up by Activision, deserve a mention. Especially the DS effort that was prototyped by them as part of their proposal (No coding appears to have taken place for a Wii version).

http://www.codemystics.com/products.shtml?-1

game-1b_large.jpg

Did the buyer of the Xbox prototype that I believe Klove sold a few years back, ever release it publicly for modded Xbox systems?

Edited by Atariboy

It does not, probably due to the fact extra video effects can be added to the display.

I doubt that was the reason since most other western developed collections don't have it either. A disappointment too since the games look thier best in 240p. Edited by BrianC

I got this for PC a while back. I don't get why "30 ARCADE CLASSICS" is on the box :?

The version I have is more recent and it looks like the PS2 version. Except it says "Remix Edition" and it is blue

The PC version has homebrew games. It's pretty much the same list of homebrews that the Game Boy Advance version has. The PC version also has a different selection of '80s music tracks to play along with your games, and lets you add your own MP3 playlists.

This Remix edition lists 75 games while the PS2 has 45. This thread has prompted me to install and check out the music.

My favorite edition is the GBA version, because of all the crazy homebrews on it. The pocketable form factor is the best for Atari games, too. I like the larger screens of the DS etc,bu they aren't as cute.

That's a pity about the DS version. I buy all these collections and would have gotten that one as well.

My preference would be to have these as digital downloads. The 3DS would be a sweet little legal emulation thing (as it is with Nintendo games) if they could get the Atari, Activision, and Intellivision games in there.