IGNORED

Season 4 Round 4 *Space Invaders Collection*

The original space alien vertical shooter. Move your tank back and forth along the bottom of the screen and shoot endless waves of aliens marching towards earth. Shoot the flying saucer for extra points.

post-98-128058999809_thumb.jpg

post-98-128059003251_thumb.png post-98-128059006215_thumb.png

Game Information

Game Name: Space Invaders

Released by: Opcode, 2003 (Homebrew-Game)

Original arcade game by: Taito/Midway, 1978

TwinGalaxies High Score: 5,910 (USA I) / 5,140 (Japan I) both by Tom Duncan

Settings: Choose between USA or Japan Part I (Default) - 1 Player

Start with 3 bases and a bonus at 1,500 points

This game was chosen by: Poll (7 votes)

Contest ends on

Saturday, 08-14-2010 at 1:00 AM eastern.

Quick-Start-Bonus Info and HSC rules

Current High Scores

1. ColecoDan 7,140 [+10]

2. duncantoml 6,430 [+9]

3. ed1475 4,280 [+8] [+1]

4. roadrunner 3,910 [+6]

5. ten-four 3,500 [+4]

6. RangerG 2,990 [+2]

7. Yurkie 2,980 [+1]

8. atariron82 2,490 [+1]

9. Ms. Do 2,470 [+1]

10. patbb 1,360 [+1]

Leaderboard

1. duncantoml [33 points] (3) 2 1

2. ColecoDan [28] (3) 1

3. ed1475 [13] (3) 1

4. atariron82 [12] (2)

4. patbb [12] (3)

5. Yurkie [11] (2)

6. RangerG [6] (3)

7. Mister VCS [5] (2)

8. roadrunner [4] (3)

9. purenergy [3] (2)

10. JEFF31 [1] (1)

10. LaserHawk [1] (1)

Edited by Mister VCS

I think you have to hit the pound or star to get to the screen to add coins and then you push the 1 for 1 player and the 2 for 2 player.

I was playing this a little just to see why everyone had such low scores and this sucker is a little difficult. It is going to take some time to get used to it.

Dan

I think you have to hit the pound or star to get to the screen to add coins and then you push the 1 for 1 player and the 2 for 2 player.

I was playing this a little just to see why everyone had such low scores and this sucker is a little difficult. It is going to take some time to get used to it.

Dan

Thanks

post-25394-128087167376_thumb.jpg

Just so you know atariron82 your guys are too colorful which means I think you are in Japan mode. It defaults to Japan so you have to switch it to USA in options.

Not that USA is any easier.

Dan how do you switch modes?

Well I have the cart so hopefully you do as well but I assume the emulator would be the same. If you don't do anything when you turn on the game 3 choices will show up on the bottom. Use joystick to move down to 3rd choice which is called options. Hit fire button. You will see you are in japan mode move joystick to right to go to USA mode and then hit fire button. It should default back up to first choice again and then hit fire button again.

Well I have the cart so hopefully you do as well but I assume the emulator would be the same. If you don't do anything when you turn on the game 3 choices will show up on the bottom. Use joystick to move down to 3rd choice which is called options. Hit fire button. You will see you are in japan mode move joystick to right to go to USA mode and then hit fire button. It should default back up to first choice again and then hit fire button again.

Thank You, I might have been playing the japan mode, I never changed that.

As this game has long since sold out, is the rom freely available for multi-cart/emulator usage? I see an emulator screen grab but wasn't aware that the rom was being distributed... and with my SD flash cart coming in the mail I may ba able to compete in this round. :)

Back on topic here... isn't it funny... 4-5 thousand points is considered a high score... ahh the good ol' days! :)

No.. it isn't. :P I'm slapping my head seeing some of the scores and comments here as it's obvious no one knows how to play Space Invaders anymore.(and yes I mean this in a friendly way) :D

It's not really a reflex game.. its actually a lot more deliberate strategy and if you want... point hoarding. But anyway, I'd play but my problem is I have the cart, but my Colecovision is packed up hardcore somewhere. And I USED to have the ROM (as I helped Eduardo a little in his testing) but I have no clue where it is to play it via emu. So oh well. :|

Back on topic here... isn't it funny... 4-5 thousand points is considered a high score... ahh the good ol' days! icon_smile.gif

No.. it isn't. icon_razz.gif I'm slapping my head seeing some of the scores and comments here as it's obvious no one knows how to play Space Invaders anymore.(and yes I mean this in a friendly way) icon_mrgreen.gif

It's not really a reflex game.. its actually a lot more deliberate strategy and if you want... point hoarding. But anyway, I'd play but my problem is I have the cart, but my Colecovision is packed up hardcore somewhere. And I USED to have the ROM (as I helped Eduardo a little in his testing) but I have no clue where it is to play it via emu. So oh well. icon_neutral.gif

Well then you'll have to get the Twin Galaxies record... it's only in the 5-6k range.

I hope to get in at least one game before the deadline... just so I can get some points in the rankings. :)

Well then you'll have to get the Twin Galaxies record... it's only in the 5-6k range.

I just took a look and the Twin Galaxy high score for the arcade game (which Opcode's Colecovision port is, more or less) is 55k, and 425k(!) for SI Deluxe. Strange how the score for part 1 is such a far cry from the 2nd one..

My high score I think back when I was 11 years old in the late 70's was probably in the 20k range. But you figure you flip the score when you hit 10k, and that was the usual goal of everyone who played, then they just quit. :P

Edited by NE146