IGNORED

BYTE Magazine

Yes, I was saving the announcement until he was finished uploading everything he has to me. But now that you're asking...

I've got in touch with him a while ago and he started uploading the PDF files to my server, and the PDF files automatically pop up in the /Other/ folder on the FTP - the address is in the first post here in this thread.

So far he has uploaded about 14 GB of content and I believe there's about 20-25 GB left and I'm trying to work out some way to get the files faster with him (he is a very nice guy and actually uploaded 24/7 for a week at 35 KB/s from his home connection so I can't thank him enough).

I just read your post, and I register to answer you; Some time ago, I download all the byte magazines from Maben page (download lasts several weeks). Exactly I have 120 magazines, near 38GB in size. I have a good connection, and I can send you more fast than maben site.

ThumpNugget Thanks for the scannings.

I took a quick peek through a few of the 1981 issues.. There were several issues with articles from Chris Crawford going over display lists and other Atari specifics. I had no idea he had written those articles for BYTE.

post-16281-0-30989600-1302660518_thumb.jpg

Hi Thumpnugget.

The above quote is really old, like from the beginning of the thread. The picture is the editor's note from the DEC 82 (the last one you posted) Atari character set article. It sounds like they're both referencing the same stuff! And what cool stuff it is! I'm so grateful for all your efforts and realize you get to what you can when you can, but I wanted to make a very meek and timid request (which still sounds kind of bold, considering the circumstances) for these issues. This sounds like pure Atari gold!

Much obliged to you, sir.

FYI...

These files are damaged and cannot be opened by Adobe Reader:

198009 Byte Magazine Septembe 1980 363.pdf

198109 Byte Magazine September 1981.pdf

198203 Byte Magazine March 1982.pdf

198204 Byte Magazine April 1982.pdf

198205 Byte Magazine May 1982.pdf

I tried downloading them at least a couple of times to be sure.

I think a couple others are bad (of this series), too.

Everyone, please be patient for a day or so.

The Italian guy is still uploading files in the "Other" folder, at slow speed - you may have downloaded that file he was uploading at that exact moment. It could also be that there were some errors during upload due to his slow connection - if so, I'll ask him to make a diff and will patch the pdf files.

At the same time, "vintage computer" has uploaded a bunch of files in "Other 2" folder. He took a break and promised he's going to upload the rest the next day. So I'll be able to compare his files with the others and we'll see which are broken or not.

So no need to panic, everything will be sorted out in time.

Also, it's not really a big deal but I'd appreciate it if people won't hammer the ftp server with 10-15 simultaneous connections at a time. I've removed the 2 transfers/user limit but please don't abuse it, you won't get very high speed when 2-3 people are downloading 10-15 x 200-400 MB files each on the 100mbps connection the server has.

The quality of the scans in the other and other2 directory leaves something to be desired. Like on the 198404 Byte Magazine April 1984.pdf file, see page 210(real) or 206(reader), photo 5.. The contrast of the screenshot is all wrong, blacks are too saturated and strong, and dark. Other colors are tinted ok, but the shadows are too strong.

See the microsoft Blazing Basic ad on page 219(reader), and perhaps see the Sorry Charlie Tava PC ad on reader page 233. See what I mean?

Generally, there is some color fringing.

The scanner used is definitely from the late 90's or early 2000's!

Edited by Keatah

Everyone, please be patient for a day or so.

The Italian guy is still uploading files in the "Other" folder, at slow speed - you may have downloaded that file he was uploading at that exact moment. It could also be that there were some errors during upload due to his slow connection - if so, I'll ask him to make a diff and will patch the pdf files.

Best would be to get par2 files generated for groups of the pdfs, maybe 2% worth should be enough.

hwemu, if it's not hard for you, I'd appreciate it if you upload all the files you have. This way I would be able to compare the uploads and maybe not have to bother the other uploader with re-uploading (or sending patches for) the already reported broken files.

Thank you.

Edited by mariush

The quality of the scans in the other and other2 directory leaves something to be desired. Like on the 198404 Byte Magazine April 1984.pdf file, see page 210(real) or 206(reader), photo 5.. The contrast of the screenshot is all wrong, blacks are too saturated and strong, and dark. Other colors are tinted ok, but the shadows are too strong.

See the microsoft Blazing Basic ad on page 219(reader), and perhaps see the Sorry Charlie Tava PC ad on reader page 233. See what I mean?

Generally, there is some color fringing.

The scanner used is definitely from the late 90's or early 2000's!

Yes, I have also noticed this issue with quality. In Oct 81, nearly every page has a ghost image of an adjacent page, and there are at least two pages that are upside down.

ThumpNugget, please continue with your scans. Your scans are much better on these old eyes. Maben's scans are readable (and I am grateful for them), but your scans are much better.

Thanks

I also support the trend and ask ThumpNugget to continue scanning, but maybe it would be better to focus on issues that are not available at all, and queue the editions that are already scanned (but of low quality) for a later time.

You guys know the saying, "don't look a gift horse in the mouth". Say thanks for having at least some poor quality scans, just in case ThumpNugget doesn't have one of those issues.

I also support the trend and ask ThumpNugget to continue scanning, but maybe it would be better to focus on issues that are not available at all, and queue the editions that are already scanned (but of low quality) for a later time.

You guys know the saying, "don't look a gift horse in the mouth". Say thanks for having at least some poor quality scans, just in case ThumpNugget doesn't have one of those issues.

Oh, I agree, wholeheartedly. That is why I said that I was grateful. Although, I must admit to some selfishness on my part, you had a better idea when you said that ThumpNugget should concentrate on the missing editions. I did download the issue that I need and am using that info, but ThumpNugget's scans are better.

ThumpNugget, I do want to thank you again. And, to everyone else who does this scanning, Thanks for all your work.

Well of course a big thanks to anyone uploading these, especially thumpy and the italian dude. What a kick-ass look into the early history of computing. The Byte rag has such a pioneering feel to it. Such a far cry from the stuff written today. And it was also cool how economics and business weren't discussed all that much, aside from the business software and advertisements. Everything was under-the-hood type material. Little focus on product acceptance factors and marketing, competition, that sort of stuff. Nothing was dumbed-down!

What a boon to be able to take all this stuff with me in my pocket..

Edited by Keatah

Well of course a big thanks to anyone uploading these, especially thumpy and the italian dude. What a kick-ass look into the early history of computing. The Byte rag has such a pioneering feel to it. Such a far cry from the stuff written today. And it was also cool how economics and business weren't discussed all that much, aside from the business software and advertisements. Everything was under-the-hood type material. Little focus on product acceptance factors and marketing, competition, that sort of stuff. Nothing was dumbed-down!

What a boon to be able to take all this stuff with me in my pocket..

Definitely a nice look back to a bygone era.

I too would vote in favor of Thumpnugget continuing his excellent work. The quality really matters for me because I'm trying to recover all of the old Chaos Manor columns with the goal of creating a new retrospective e-book. The idea is to gather up all of the column with new material from Jerry offering perspective from 15-30 years later. Recovering the text goes much better when the source image is better.

Though if anybody with a set of issues from 1982 to around the mid-90s could scan just those pages, I'll take any help I can get. The last few years were digitized and I've obtained those through archive services at university libraries but anything earlier tends to be bound in massive year set doorstop volumes that could be wielded to slaughter cattle. They're hard to just plain read the area near the binding and scanning is very difficult at best. Really good digital archives require some slicing and dicing of sacrificial issues.

BYTE Vol 04-03 1979-03 Plain Text - 276 Pages 173,534,567 bytes

Foreground

THE STANDARD DATA ENCRYPTION ALGORITHM, Part 1: An Overview

DESIGNING WITH DOUBLE SIDED PRINTED CIRCUIT BOARDS

DESIGNING A ROBOT FROM NATURE, Part 2: Constructing the Eye

A STEPPING MOTOR PRIMER, PART 2

BUILD A COMPUTER CONTROLLED SECURITY SYSTEM FOR YOUR HOME, Part 3

THE POWER OF THE HP-67 PROGRAMMABLE CALCULATOR

Background

BUILDING THE HEATH H8 COMPUTER

A MAP OF THE TMS-9900 INSTRUCTION SPACE

FILES ON PARADE, Part 2: Using Files

A MICROPROCESSOR FOR THE REVOLUTION: THE 6809, Part 3

CRYPTOGRAPHY IN THE FIELD, Part 1: An Overview

PREVIEW OF THE Z-8000

COMMON MISTAKES USING WARNIER-ORR DIAGRAMS

PASSWORD PROTECTION FOR YOUR COMPUTER

WHAT IS AN INTERRUPT?

HISTORY OF COMPUTERS: THE IBM 650,

Nucleus

Don't Overlook LISP

Letters

Desk Top Wonder: Race Car for the SR-52

Book Review

Event Queue

Programming Quickie: Inverse Trig Functions

92 Machine Language Puzzler: Odd Tones

BYTE News

Technical Forum

Nybbles: Computer Assisted Flight Planning

Clubs and Newsletters

BYTE's Bits

What's New?

Unclassified Ads

BOMB

Reader Service

Download it here: BYTE Vol 04-03 1979-03 Plain Text

Cover

post-12606-0-04229800-1302892833_thumb.jpg

Index

post-12606-0-76643600-1302892849_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

BYTE Vol 11-13 1986-12 Graphics Algorithms - 458 Pages 322,241,121 bytes

FEATURES

INTRODUCTION

CiARCIA'S CIRCUIT CELLAR: BUILD THE GTI80 COLOR GRAPHICS BOARD, PART 2: HARDWARE

PROGRAMMING PROJECT: USING DOS FUNCTIONS FROM TURBO PASCAL

PROGRAMMING INSIGHT: A PROGRAM FOR APPROXIMATING INTEGRALS

DEBUGGING MACINTOSH APPLICATIONS

LOCAL EFFECTS OF NUCLEAR WEAPONS

THEME: GRAPHICS ALGORITHMS

INTRODUCTION

HENON MAPPING WITH PASCAL

ABSTRACT MATHEMATICAL ART

THE TMS34010 GRAPHICS SYSTEM PROCESSOR

PLOTTING THE MANDELBROT SET

GRAPHING QUADRIC SURFACES

FREE-FORM CURVES ON YOUR MICRO

REVIEWS

INTRODUCTION

REVIEWER'S NOTEBOOK

FOUR IBM PC AT CLONES

THE HERCULES GRAPHICS CARD PLUS

23 MODEMS

PASCAL FOR THE IBM PC

STELLA

FLASH-COM

REVIEW FEEDBACK

KERNEL

INTRODUCTION

COMPUTING AT CHAOS MANOR: THE FINAL FRONTIER

ACCORDING TO WEBSTER: SEASON'S GREETINGS by Bruce Webster

APPLICATIONS ONLY: STOCKING STUFFERS by Ezra Shapiro

BYTE U.K.: THE U-MAN POTENTIAL

BEST OF BIX

AMIGA

ATARI

IBM PC AND COMPATIBLES

MACINTOSH/ApPLE II

APPLE IIGS

GRAPHICS

DEPARTMENTS

BYTE GETS FASTER

MICROBYTES

LETTERS

WHAT'S NEW

ASK BYTE

CIRCUIT CELLAR FEEDBACK

BOOK REVIEWS

EVENTS AND CWBS

CHAOS MANOR MAIL

BOMB RESULTS

READER SERVICE

Download it here: BYTE Vol 11-13 1986-12 Graphics Algorithms

Cover

post-12606-0-56051800-1303263680_thumb.jpg

Index

post-12606-0-24038500-1303263721_thumb.jpg

post-12606-0-32547400-1303263748_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

BYTE Vol 02-06 1977-06 Cognitive Robot - 184 Pages 112,774,438 bytes

The cover is a tad roughed-up this issue but the rest of the magazine is pretty good.

Foreground

DESIGNING MULTICHANNEL ANALOG INTERFACES

INTERFACING THE IBM SELECTRIC KEYBOARD PRINTER

COME FLY WITH KIM

SOFTWARE FOR THE ECONOMY FLOPPY DISK

ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE: Part 2, Implementation

A 6800 SELECTRIC 10 PRINTER PROGRAM

A GUIDE TO BAUDOT MACHINES: Part 3

Background

NEWT: A MOBILE , COGNITIVE ROBOT

INTERFACING TO AN ANALOG WORLD: Part 2

INTRODUCTION TO MICROPROGRAMMING