IGNORED

High Score Club 8.02 - Mountain King

Ze_ro

I reached 130something points after being crowned Mountain King three times. Alas, my flashlight habit caused me to accidentally wipe the score. Hopefully I can beat my new best and be able to post it.

Ahhh crap!!! I did this on one of my first games Wednesday; greedilly looking around for one more treasure chest to bump my score by 250 and never even knew what my final score was. Good job anyway, sounds like you are maximizing each level with that score. I never played for score before, just cared about completing levels. If you are efficient and finish each level quickly you are punished on score; a time bonus on this game would be awesome. Morgan

I reached 130something points after being crowned Mountain King three times. Alas, my flashlight habit caused me to accidentally wipe the score. Hopefully I can beat my new best and be able to post it.

Ahhh crap!!! I did this on one of my first games Wednesday; greedilly looking around for one more treasure chest to bump my score by 250 and never even knew what my final score was. Good job anyway, sounds like you are maximizing each level with that score. I never played for score before, just cared about completing levels. If you are efficient and finish each level quickly you are punished on score; a time bonus on this game would be awesome. Morgan

Considering that I just scored 150615 (pic never because I'm too lazy to post a pic of my own beaten score) and got five successful coronations, you're definitely right. I'm hoping I can get lots of points while minimizing failures. I'm also more of a "complete the levels" kind of player... in fact, last week was the only time I ever paid attention to score in Solaris.

Edited by Jifremok

Considering that I just scored 150615 (pic later) and got five successful coronations, you're definitely right. I'm hoping I can get lots of points while minimizing failures. I'm also more of a "complete the levels" kind of player... in fact, last week was the only time I ever paid attention to score in Solaris.

Oh my! I have some catching up to do....I think past level three you are really going to be pushed to make it in one try anyway, with the diminishing time limits, I think the time to get to the top never gets lower than 1:00 but the time to find the flame keep going down???? Morgan

I never got to the top of the mountain with the crown. Heck it took me an hour to figure out the gameplay! :)

Managed to finally get the flame spirit 3 times... got the crown twice after figuring out I have to climb the castle to get it... then the bats kept stealing it. :P

This is a great game! Seems like a lot of programming in such a small cartridge. :)

Hopefully I get to play more before the contest ends.

Edit: added NEVER to my first sentence to make it right. Durnit...

Edit 2: added my Mountain King pic. Used an EQ screenshot. Boy I miss playing EQ. :)

post-21025-128180034003_thumb.png

post-21025-128180478073_thumb.jpg

Edited by ClassicGMR

I could really use some good pointers on getting to the top of the mountain with the crown. I have played more then a few games and I'm just not getting how to beat the bats. From time to time I can get around them, but I still haven't made the top of the hill once. I'm in the 20,000 range now, but thats no where near the top... just feeling stuck at the moment. Any advice?

I could really use some good pointers on getting to the top of the mountain with the crown. I have played more then a few games and I'm just not getting how to beat the bats. From time to time I can get around them, but I still haven't made the top of the hill once. I'm in the 20,000 range now, but thats no where near the top... just feeling stuck at the moment. Any advice?

The bats take the crown if they touch it. If they simply fly into your body or legs yet the crown remains untouched, you're safe. If the bats come at you while you're on a ladder, just focus on keeping the crown away from them. If you're unfortunate enough that a bat approaches you while you've a ceiling above you, try jumping at just the right time that the bat flies through you yet doesn't take the crown. 'Tis a right tricky move, but better to rely on this and hope it works than to resign yourself to yet another trip to the flame spirit.

One thing I noticed about the bats is that even when there is no escaping them, sometimes turning the guy's back to the bat and jumping confuses them so that they don't take the crown. (Insert your own 'blind bat' pun here.)

There are players here a lot better at this game than me, who probably have a better path, but this is how I get to the top of the mountain. I'll refer to the pics as 1 through 13 from left to right (Row 1 is 1,2 - Row 2 is 3,4 - etc).

1 - After getting the crown, go left to the three ladder (three sections).

2 - Climb the three ladder to the top and jump up a level to the right.

3 - Jump up a level to the left, then jump up another level to the left. Jump from that platform and push the joystick up to grab the four ladder. Sometimes I can jump right to left from the level below and grab the ladder without landing on the platform.

4 - Climb the four ladder to the top and go left.

5 - Climb the two ladder all the way to the top.

6 - Tricky part Number 1 - Run left and jump across the gap to the landing one level up.

7 - Climb the two ladder.

8 - Tricky part Number 2 - Run right and jump across the gap and grab the four ladder. Climb to the top.

9 - Run to the right and jump up one level. (You'll notice I don't have crown anymore, at this point. Those wild and crazy bats.)

10 - Run left and jump to the two ladder. Climb to the top and go right.

11 - At the three ladder climb to the top. Jump to the right one level up.

12 - Run right until the next level up appears. This is the start of the staircase type thing. Keep jumping from the left edge to the right to jump up to the next level.

13 - The top of the mountain is at the end of the staircase.

post-26187-128180460821_thumb.png

post-26187-128180462389_thumb.png

post-26187-128180464103_thumb.png

post-26187-128180465639_thumb.png

post-26187-128180470012_thumb.png

post-26187-128180471508_thumb.png

post-26187-128180473012_thumb.png

post-26187-128180474374_thumb.png

post-26187-128180475475_thumb.png

post-26187-128180476906_thumb.png

post-26187-128180478232_thumb.png

post-26187-128180480441_thumb.png

post-26187-128180481287_thumb.png

Edited by Scrabbler15

I missed out on week 1, but that's ok because I suck at Solaris, but I'm back! I love this game and plan to get lots of time on this one:

3 Coronations. The first two were quick ones, so I didn't rack up a lot of points in the first 2 levels. The 3rd one took a little longer.

post-9712-128180994029_thumb.jpg

I use a similar path as Scrabbler, except I deviate at point 6 (after climbing the two ladder). Instead of going left, I go right then jump to the left one level above and jump again to grab onto the two ladder. I climb to the top and jump to the right onto that above platform with the single ladder. I climb that, run to the left, then jump right. From the edge I jump left onto the bottom of the three ladder, and at this point it's the same as point 11 in Scrabbler's route.

My best reign yet! After eight coronations, a score of 225605.

(pic finally because I'm lazy)

mountainking225k.jpg

Edited by Jifremok

192,390!

I would have scored higher, but the doorbell rang...it was some state representitive, running for office. Grrr...

post-9712-128181458588_thumb.jpg

LOL! I had the same thing happen to me today. My interruption was a census worker. I made him wait on the porch until I finished my game.

Fantastic score, btw.

I think I need a more direct route to the top. It's a long hill to climb to match these six figure scores.

Edited by Scrabbler15

I finally finished the third level...theres a lot of failure that goes along with a score of 140,550 and only three levels. I did determine that my route to the top will work with the lowest 1:00 time limit, with zero mistakes. I made what I figure was a two second error and ran out of time middle of my final jump. Morgan

post-26465-128184337449_thumb.jpg

Decided I would let my little stick man have a break and take a vacation in the secret kingdom. One of the things I love about this game is easter egg / programming glitch detailed (and I mean DETAILED) in this page:

Mt King Hidden Level

How about a +1 for anyone who gets there? (says he after hes already done it :ponder: ) Morgan

post-26465-12818441074_thumb.jpg

I use a similar path as Scrabbler, except I deviate at point 6 (after climbing the two ladder). Instead of going left, I go right then jump to the left one level above and jump again to grab onto the two ladder. I climb to the top and jump to the right onto that above platform with the single ladder. I climb that, run to the left, then jump right. From the edge I jump left onto the bottom of the three ladder, and at this point it's the same as point 11 in Scrabbler's route.

My best reign yet! After eight coronations, a score of 225605.

(pic later)

Thanks for the help.