IGNORED

New Monthly Atari Magazine

svenski

We're currently working on the launch of a new, monthly, Atari magazine. I don't want to spam the board and repeat the post in every system section but the magazine will cover the Atari 2600/5200/7800/Lynx/Jaguar/400/800/XL/XE .

We are considering covering the ST as well but at the moment the team we have all defected from Atari to the Commodore Amiga due to the way Atari treated us poor 8-bit owners back in the day, and we're not sure if the ST might already be well supported out there. If you would like to help us cover the ST or if you have an opinion on whether or not we should cover the ST please let us know.

Maybe you wrote articles in the past for now defunct publications and still retain the copyright as author, maybe you would like to start writing now... we'd like to have you on board.

We'll be reviewing as much Atari hardware as we can get our hands on, including third party peripherals plus we'll have game and software reviews as well as features on the companies that made the Atari years so magical.

Obviously great importance will be given to "homebrew", that is hardware mods, software, games and demos that have been produced by the Atari community long after Atari's demise. We hope to review and feature the great products that have kept Atari alive as well as feature new projects in development.

We hope to launch the first issue in September/October. I'm currently about to change country which is a bit complicated and we have a lot of Atari stuff boxed up ready to move but we're hoping to launch by October at the latest.

The platforms where we are lacking contributors so far are the Lynx and Jaguar, plus the ST. We'd like to get some feedback from the community at large as to whether or not we should include the ST as we don't want to sacrifice coverage of the other , older, platforms.

Please note we can't pay for contributions, at least initially, as we don't expect to get rich publishing the magazine. It is more of a hobby than a business venture.

We welcome articles and contributions for all the formats listed above, and in order to keep the magazine fresh and help keep the Atari scene alive we want to hear from developers and programmers about their mods, new games releases, software etc.

Did you work for Atari or one of the leading software companies?, maybe you worked in the sharp end of retail or put your Atari to great use in your business? We want to hear from you with your stories.

Using your Atari today?, we want hot pics of your Atari setups and details of your Atari collections. Got something you're really proud of?, share a photo or two.

Contribution guidelines are pretty flexible at the moment, no limit on wordage at this time. Any work you submit must be your own, original, and with your authorization for us to print & include it in the magazine. Please don't submit articles that have recently been published in other magazines or websites. Where possible articles should be accompanied by photos (product photos or screenshots), this is especially important for in development items and homebrew.

We also welcome any ideas on sections for the magazine, how much coverage we should devote to each platform, etc.

Feel free to message me with any questions or if you would like to start submitting articles.

Best Regards,

Svenski

A new magazine sounds fantastic! It might be worth looking at the online magazine blenderart for the open source 3D software Blender. They produce a fine magazine regularly and the content is always interesting to read. My link

Get some regular contributors and you are set.

Please let me know when and where I can subscribe to the magazine when you get going.

We are considering covering the ST as well but at the moment the team we have all defected from Atari to the Commodore Amiga due to the way Atari treated us poor 8-bit owners back in the day, and we're not sure if the ST might already be well supported out there. If you would like to help us cover the ST or if you have an opinion on whether or not we should cover the ST please let us know.

Please do cover the ST as well - a lot of us own both. Thanks! :)

We're currently working on the launch of a new, monthly, Atari magazine. I don't want to spam the board and repeat the post in every system section but the magazine will cover the Atari 2600/5200/7800/Lynx/Jaguar/400/800/XL/XE .

Best Regards,

Svenski

This'll be great, it'll make me feel like I'm back in the 80's/early 90's ! Can I confirm whether this a "real" printed magazine or will it be an online publication?

I'm intrigued... and could possibly contribute an article or two. However, due to prior word-wrangling responsibilities, I would be unable to be a regular correspondent.

One thing that I would especially like to see is the return of type-in programs. If your publication successfully launches full speed off the runway, would this be something you're interested in including into the magazine? Something of this nature would definitely lift a person's interactivity level up from just merely retro-gaming on an Atari. Remember the awe and wonder we had as children, and the accomplishment we felt, learning (on our own) the intricacies of computer logic while typing in a program or game? Let's bring that feeling back with your magazine. A type-in program every now and then would be perfect for the children of experienced Atarians -- why type it in yourself when you can get your kid to do it and have them learn something in the process? The same sense of accomplishment could be garnered by older, less knowledgeable Atari users that are seeking to understand their machine better as well. It's a win-win situation if people would send in small programs to be included into the magazine.

Another issue I would like to address is language. Is this going to be an English only magazine? I'd hate to exclude our German, Polish, and Czech brothers and sisters.

Anyhoo, I've rambled enough for now. The next beer in my fridge beckons...

EDIT: What is the preferred format you'd like from contributors? Rich text format? Open document format? Microsoft Office (.doc or .docx)? Plain text?

Edited by dwhyte

Thanks to everyone who has replied and/or messaged me with ideas , comments and suggestions.

Here are some answers to the main points raised:

Format: The magazine will be in PDF format for download plus ,probably, a version just for the new generation of electronic book readers. A print version really will depend on how well the magazine does but we would like to eventually offer the magazine in print and pdf.

Language: The magazine will be in English however we are looking into doing a version in Polish, given the importance of the Polish Atari scene and the contribution they have made in keeping the Atari alive.

Type In Listings: I think this is an excellent idea and we will be implementing it.

Atari ST: The ST will be covered in the magazine so we will be a one stop shop for virtually every Atari console and computer.

For submissions, please use Word (.doc) or Open Office format.

Format: The magazine will be in PDF format for download plus ,probably, a version just for the new generation of electronic book readers. A print version really will depend on how well the magazine does but we would like to eventually offer the magazine in print and pdf.

If you're doing it in PDF format, then I guess that if you get a lot of contributions for one issue, you may end up making one big issue with lots of pages. Be careful though, if you want to go back and start printing your back issues, you may find that one issue is too expensive to print and to break even on. Just a thought....

If you need more ST users to contribute svenski, i suggest you post the same subject in atari-forums.com (i think that is the right addy) apparently it's the most active ST/TT/Falcon forums on the interweb (even though it's mostly UK/Euro centric in the same way atariage is mostly North American centric)

One last thing, will you be covering emulators that emulate the different atari flavours/platforms

just a thought, that is all...and good luck with your project

I really like the idea, and I think it can work. I would also willing to do some hardware / modification related articles for the 8-bit.

IMHO, I think it will work best if it is kind of like a "companion" to the Atari forums. I would think that much of the information in the magazine can be found on the forums already, but honestly, I would rather read an article about a project or a review than scroll through tons of posts, especially when the project has reached completion. I miss the simple pleasure of sitting on my porch in the summer and reading an Atari magazine!

A couple of suggestions:

- do a "where are they now' column and try to find people of interest from the Atari world and interview them.

- have a "system of the month" when you show and descibe someone's setup, and how they are using it.

I would like to read that magazine too. However, I would so much appreciate a print version.

Can someone elaborate on how much a printed version would cost? As we are a global community we could print the mag in a "cheap country".

Its not my intention to diss anybody, but isn't it possible that printing is cheap in Poland or in the Czech Republic than it i sin North America or Germany? Of course the first issues should be distributed as PDF so one can see how it turns out.

In these days all the information is on the inter net, so at first a Atari Mag seems stupid, however, there are so many sites on-line so I hope this magazine would inform me about all the news as I can#t check all those sites regularly.

Does "ST" include "Falcon030" as well?

Hi guys,

Thanks again for the suggestions and comments, here are answers to some points raised:

Emulators: We will be covering emulators as this is a great way for people to step back into the Atari world again and, hopefully, encourage them to dust off their old equipment and start using it again or go get their hands on some real Atari hardware.

Falcon: The Falcon will be covered as well.

Where are they now?: Another great idea, I'm trying to track down Nolan Bushnell :)

Systems of the month: Another great idea. I remember once buying a back issue of Antic and reading a story about a newspaper that was being designed and put together only by using Atari 8-bits. I was blown away. Some of the photos of people's collections I've seen here , on Atari Age, are pretty amazing.

To Print, or not to print: Obviously a printed magazine is the ideal option but we need to test the water first. I'm waiting for quotes back from a couple of printing companies but we'd like to get the magazine off the ground and see what the response is like before we look at shifting to print.

The point about the magazine being a "companion" to the forums is a valid one and I think the magazine and great forums such as Atari Age can complement each other.

svenski,

Just as an afterthought, if the magazine is in PDF format there is nothing stopping individual readers from printing copies for their own use. This is the path that I will take with regards to this.

Please let us know when you begin accepting subscriptions. I would gladly pay a reasonable sum for a dedicated Atari magazine, regardless of format.

Russ

I am very glad to see ST coverage. I don't see the ST having "enough coverage already;" look how much more info there is on this site for the other Ataris (2600, 400/800/XL/XE, etc) compared to the ST forum. It's a good thing for atari-forum.com, that's for sure. However, as I've mentioned before, the TI-99/4A gets more action on Atariage than the Atari ST, so there's a thirst for anything ST-related.

I am very glad to see ST coverage. I don't see the ST having "enough coverage already;" look how much more info there is on this site for the other Ataris (2600, 400/800/XL/XE, etc) compared to the ST forum. It's a good thing for atari-forum.com, that's for sure. However, as I've mentioned before, the TI-99/4A gets more action on Atariage than the Atari ST, so there's a thirst for anything ST-related.

Hi wood_jl, we are going to be covering the ST and we have some people who have already lined up to help contribute. It means me going out and buying a couple of STs and getting my hands dirty but when needs must :)

We'll also be going "behind enemy lines" and featuring every now and then other systems but not at the expense of the Atari coverage.

My brain is already in overload, with all the XL/XE knowledge that had been locked and filed away a long time ago flooding back so I hope the wives and girlfriends of the team we already have onboard will be a bit understanding as loads of old Ataris begin to take up valuable desk space and stop the women playing Farmville :cool:

A good sprinkling/balance of support for ALL flavours of Atari is surely a good thing (there is never too much knowledge/info about the A8, people are still learning new things even today, therefore expanding the knowledge base)

Edited by carmel_andrews

Not sure if I have anything to contribute, but I'd be interested in reading it. I miss having a regular magazine. Would really love it to be print, but I know these days it's probably not cost effective.

It looks like they are gonna do it in PDF, so if they do that, they could add a

mag like cover and back page. Then those of us (I'm one) who prefer reading it

in our hands, could print it out. :)

Not sure if I have anything to contribute, but I'd be interested in reading it. I miss having a regular magazine. Would really love it to be print, but I know these days it's probably not cost effective.

It looks like they are gonna do it in PDF, so if they do that, they could add a

mag like cover and back page. Then those of us (I'm one) who prefer reading it

in our hands, could print it out. :)

It would be great to have a Commodore Free type magazine for the Atari community.