IGNORED

New Monthly Atari Magazine

svenski

If you're thinking of printing it in PDF format, how would you distribute it? And I guess the price might depend on the media used.

Just a thought, but you can get custom USB thumb drives in different colors and with logos printed on them for pretty cheap, depending on the memory size. You shouldn't need one with a lot of memory, and it might be tough to fill one up, but you could include programs already typed in, as well as lots of graphics files (screenshots, photos, etc.), sort of a modern equivalent to the old magazines with companion diskettes. For example, if an article in the PDF file contained smaller screenshots or photos, you could also include larger versions on the drive, or even animated pictures, video files, or audio files. And you could use different colored drives for different issues or volumes. The possibility of people copying and redistributing the articles, programs, or other files would still be a consideration, but having a custom thumb drive with the magazine's logo on it might give people an added incentive to pay for it.

Additionally, you might be able to get/sell some plastic looseleaf pages-- like page protectors, but with multiple pockets on them (e.g., 12 on a sheet)-- so all the thumb drives for a given year's issues could be stored on one sheet. And you could also sell a looseleaf binder with the magazine's logo on it so multiple sheets could be stored in the binder.

Like I said, just a thought. An alternative might be a CD, but I don't know which would be cheaper/safer to send in the mail, a thumb drive or a CD. And thumb drives would be easier for readers carry around.

Michael

If you're thinking of printing it in PDF format, how would you distribute it?

eMail? :)

As some of us (me included) are to print out the mag by themselves as long as it is only PDF and we are talking about screen-shots and photos:

It should be possible to make two versions of said PDF. One for screen view (72 dpi?)and one for print (300 dpi?). Just a thought.

I am getting a little excited here, so I hope the first issue is out soon :)

As I am pretty sure you have enuff topics to write about, I would like to ask you start with introducing the "new" tricks (HIP,TIP, ..) for the 8-Bit first and more importantly the new games. I came across "Crownland" and "Flowers mania" by accident. I have no idea how much cool new games (or demos) are out there. I left my XL alone for some years.

OK guys, Atari User is going to be offering $100 USD for the best Type-in program we publish in the next 12 issues. This will be voted for by readers.

I know $100 isn't $1000 but we have to start somewhere :)

The first issue is about to launch, but if you'd like to start programming and submitting a listing then please let me know - for issues from October onwards.

Listings need to be in Atari Basic, and I don't want to leave out the 2600 and Batari... so start sending in those type in listings :)

I have a ton of Jaguar, Lynx and 7800 reviews I can submit.

Also some ST stuff too.

I have some wonderful special features I could provide for it too ;)

That would be fantastic, would be great if you could contribute. Hopefully next year we can hook up for the next JAGFEST , will turn up with a load of Atari 8-bit gear :)

i can certainly contribute some "dark side" atari content.. hacking/phreaking/fiction type stuff... cyberpunk before cyberpunk was cool as it were...

We'd love for you to contribute. Send me a PM if you want to submit anything!

Issue 1 is now online, still got a lot of work to do on the website but getting there.

I'll be sending everyone who has contributed for the first issue there copy within the 24 hours or so.

Svenski, you mentioned the Polish version. I guess that you have Polish translators/editors, but in case you didn't... :)

Thanks Cosi, PM me if you'd like to help out.

All contributors for this issue, apart from one who I can't get hold of, have been sent copies of the first issue.

Hi folks! I just wanted to add my, uhh, whatever it's worth - opinion here. :D

I love the idea of the magazine, of course, why not! I would even love to write something for it once I had a topic

that I could fill an article worth. Based on this threads discussions, I have a couple of points I wish to voice.

At this time the first issue has already been placed online. Great to see! However, your choice to make the first

issue a $3.95 USD purchase - in my opinion kills your magazine right there. Personally, I have no reason to pay

for a magazine sight-un-seen! Why would anyone else, except for the "hardcore" crowd around this website?

Could you possibly make [at least] your first issue a free download - to gain interest, as well as trust?

I can only "judge the magazine by it's cover", and frankly, the cover art with that UGLY cg-woman on it is a big turnaway!

IMHO, you need a better layout person. Cmon, there are enough magazine art examples out there, someone can do better.

Especially the facial expression. It almost makes it look like, well, frankly, a joke.

Early on in this thread there was mention of type-in programs. Sigh. I resoundingly say, please no! If you really

want the mag to be a failure, go ahead. It's on ONLINE e-zine, you can certainly have hyperlinks for entire program

or disk files from the atariuser.com website. However, code-snippets would be easily digestible. Something that demo's

an articles subject should be fine if it doesn't take up much time for someone to type in. If you want to be retro,

how about punch cards?? Or that bar-code-like scanner that came out in the late 80s? (Never ever ever ever again)

I can't seem to find much (if anything) about the specific content/interest-for getting the magazine. It seems to be

for all Atari's - good - but whom is it aimed at? New user? Emu user? Diehard user? Casual website reader? Who??

Probably everyone, which is great, but you have to define your content for those users so that those users recognize

it has content interesting to them. Right? Are there incentives or teasers for what IS IN the magazine??? So that

I have some idea why i want to get one? Just because it's "atari's only ezine" is not good enough.

We all want New as well as Retro content, but not Retro techniques from the 1980's that have no business in >>2010<<.

I hope I don't sound too negative. But I haven't been allowed to see much positive as yet, and I'm not going to

pay any money at all to just get a peek inside the poor cover-art. You have to build trust that the money is worth it.

I wish I had more positive things to say, but please consider this message Constructive criticism as that is the

way I hope it to be read. :)

Cheers

A suggestion - make all issues available in a "Preview" form.

ie - have selected pages for view, maybe just the first page of each article. Have the first paragraph or two and some pictures visible, then defocus the remainder of the page.

That would give prospective buyers at least a taste of what they can expect, and the teaser aspect would make it more likely for them to buy an issue or subscription.

I might be able to contribute something too, whether it be a type-in sort of thing (although most of my stuff is available online), or some sort of "how-to" technical article.

Agreed on some of the points there. Some of us havent touched an Atari in over 20 plus years. It would be nice to see a how to article on some programs, ie loading, printing,tips and tricks etc...

A preview of some articles would be helpful in inticing people to purchase a subscription. I'm tempted but i would like to see more.

Other than that and besides the chick on the front cover, it looks promising.

Hey guys ,

Thanks for all the feedback.

We are working on some improvements to the website for the next issue which will address a couple of points raised, plus some extra stuff too.

Glad to say all contributors have now received their copy, thanks for the work everyone.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi guys,

Issue 2 of the magazine is now available and online.

Features include a report from Jagfest UK, interview with the Atari Coldfire Project team coordinator (the new Atari ST compatible), we celebrate Pac-Man's 30th anniversary, we start our quest for lost Atari Lynx games + much more.

Subscribers and contributors will be receiving their login details later today (Sunday).

Thank you to everyone who has written for this issue!

atariuser.com

• 2 weeks later...

I'm loving them so far, though I'm thinking I'd like to see some tutorials in there as well, especially in the Music Software department.

Keep up the great work, looking forward to future issues!

P.S. What's up with all the computer generated chicks? It kind of gives the magazine an "Atari plus Japanese sex dolls" vibe. Freaky!

Edited by Syfo-Dyas

I'm loving them so far, though I'm thinking I'd like to see some tutorials in there as well, especially in the Music Software department.

Keep up the great work, looking forward to future issues!

P.S. What's up with all the computer generated chicks? It kind of gives the magazine an "Atari plus Japanese sex dolls" vibe. Freaky!

Thanks for the feedback, it is appreciated.

We've got some great stuff lined up for future issues, and I have to say a big thank you to all those who have contributed so far. Now I'm using Acrobat's Distiller hopefully the file sizes will be a bit smaller too :D