IGNORED

Digitpress Forum

NinjaWarrior

Admittedly it was my first "WOW" site being a classic gamer and collector and I had a lot of fun times there but I don't know what it is, this is not coming from someone who was banned or harassed, I am still a longtime member there in good rep and standing but the members there these days just are not the same, either that or the quality of moderation has declined, seems these days I can barely post anything even though ALWAYS classic gaming related that it isn't either practicably ignored OR I am jumped on and nitpicked about every little thing. I still visit regularly and read a LOT but I do not go out of my way to post there. Atariage has been my main site (outside my own Youtube channel and Facebook groups) for some time now.

• Like 1

Admittedly it was my first "WOW" site being a classic gamer and collector and I had a lot of fun times there but I don't know what it is, this is not coming from someone who was banned or harassed, I am still a longtime member there in good rep and standing but the members there these days just are not the same, either that or the quality of moderation has declined, seems these days I can barely post anything even though ALWAYS classic gaming related that it isn't either practicably ignored OR I am jumped on and nitpicked about every little thing. I still visit regularly and read a LOT but I do not go out of my way to post there. Atariage has been my main site (outside my own Youtube channel and Facebook groups) for some time now.

I find AtariAge to be one of the more friendly retro gaming forums I have come across. Being a retailer (along with being a retro gamer) I feel we are often looked at as just there to promote out store and not really contribute so people sometimes more hostile or skeptical towards us, but I have found people here at AA to be much more welcoming than some other forums. I have actually had fellow AA members come to my defense against other retailers and members who may have attacked me or high jacked a thread of mine. This has rarely ever happens on any other forum I visit.

• Like 1

I tried getting into DigitPress's community a few times.

I found that for the most part, the show is run by a bunch of blowhards with high post counts, self proclaimed expertise (that is more like misinformed nonsense), and a lot of cluelessness.

So, I stopped going there. The fun people who liked to screw off just a little, but were there to have fun related to games, all got banned when the high-post-count jackasses got cranky and cried.

20,000 posts doesn't give anyone a liscense to just make stuff up. I had to correct the person numerous times and give them proper information since they were telling a bunch of newer people all kinds of incorrect info. It was met with " WHAT DO YOU KNOW DO YOU EVEN HAVE ONE OF THOSE?!" (A specific computer).

I posted a picture of mine, continued to correct the person, and then they shut the hell up and stopped trying to be the condescending goto guy for information on that computer.

Someone else on there had this self proclaimed knowledge of another topic, chock full of EXTREMELY opinionated posts. The topic in question was music. "This composer is better because I said so. I said so, so you're wrong, because I study wikipedia all day. You're wrong. I said so. Stop disagreeing. You're stupid. I'm right because I said so. I've been here longer, look at my post count, I know everything."

and then there was "oh look at my huge collection of RPGs sprawling two rooms! =3. Oh, I don't actually play any of these so I don't know what you're talking about when you mention details of the games. I just have them." *facepalm*

the place is too stupid to go to now.

I call it DigitPiss.

Edited by Arkhan
  • Like 1

I tried getting into DigitPress's community a few times.

I found that for the most part, the show is run by a bunch of blowhards with high post counts, self proclaimed expertise (that is more like misinformed nonsense), and a lot of cluelessness.

So, I stopped going there. The fun people who liked to screw off just a little, but were there to have fun related to games, all got banned when the high-post-count jackasses got cranky and cried.

20,000 posts doesn't give anyone a liscense to just make stuff up. I had to correct the person numerous times and give them proper information since they were telling a bunch of newer people all kinds of incorrect info. It was met with " WHAT DO YOU KNOW DO YOU EVEN HAVE ONE OF THOSE?!" (A specific computer).

I posted a picture of mine, continued to correct the person, and then they shut the hell up and stopped trying to be the condescending goto guy for information on that computer.

Someone else on there had this self proclaimed knowledge of another topic, chock full of EXTREMELY opinionated posts. The topic in question was music. "This composer is better because I said so. I said so, so you're wrong, because I study wikipedia all day. You're wrong. I said so. Stop disagreeing. You're stupid. I'm right because I said so. I've been here longer, look at my post count, I know everything."

and then there was "oh look at my huge collection of RPGs sprawling two rooms! =3. Oh, I don't actually play any of these so I don't know what you're talking about when you mention details of the games. I just have them." *facepalm*

the place is too stupid to go to now.

I call it DigitPiss.

LOL funny post

The admin (Joe Santulli) is a great guy who started Digital Press fanzine exactly when I founded Zap! (September, 1991). Some of the posters however make it a sarcastic haven. Zap! on the other hand is is sorta the anti-DP; straight out Austin Powers in-your-face sillyness. :)

Agreed about Joe. Awesome dude. What drove me away from the forum were the admins who Joe trusts to run the site. That and the fact that Joe's opening the store in Jersey caused a huge influx of new members, mostly youngsters. AA is definitely more of an adult crowd.

Chris

Yeah, I don't talk too much about Digital Press because I don't see eye to eye with Santulli, and don't care to peel back the scabs on old wounds. Having said that, I haven't been a member of the site for eight years, and what I've seen in the forums lately doesn't give me much incentive to return. There's a dour sense of seriousness there that sometimes borders on pomposity. You get the distinct feeling that arguing about video games is more fun to the members of DP than actually playing them.

By contrast, this place is more casual, but also more fun. It's like the difference between the corner bar and an upscale winery, where everyone tastes the products available, spits them into a bucket, then complains about them with five dollar words for the rest of the visit. I much prefer the "come as you are" atmosphere.

• Like 1

Same here, Digitpress was my first wow site as well. I found it before AA and that's when i went full force into retro/classic gaming. But after i found AA i slowly crept away from DP. I didn't post much there anyway. The biggest difference is in the welcome section here you are welcomed with open arms. The welcome thread there, not so much. It is pretty much just a thread to introduce yourself but nobody ever replies to you. Even Nintendo Age welcomed me with open arms. So over at DP i felt like just another name and number. Now i might check it out only a few times a year. But it is still a great site. I still have some great memories. Especially since it was at DP i got a super epic deal on an Intellivision and some games that got me back into the Intellivision again. Which i hadn't owned in 20+ years. :-D

Yeah, I don't talk too much about Digital Press because I don't see eye to eye with Santulli, and don't care to peel back the scabs on old wounds. Having said that, I haven't been a member of the site for eight years, and what I've seen in the forums lately doesn't give me much incentive to return. There's a dour sense of seriousness there that sometimes borders on pomposity. You get the distinct feeling that arguing about video games is more fun to the members of DP than actually playing them.

By contrast, this place is more casual, but also more fun. It's like the difference between the corner bar and an upscale winery, where everyone tastes the products available, spits them into a bucket, then complains about them with five dollar words for the rest of the visit. I much prefer the "come as you are" atmosphere.

Yeah.

Lots of pompous idiots on that site. Too much self proclaimed expertiser. I got tired of correcting people for the sake of making sure newbs weren't being misinformed by people who use their collection or their post count as a badge of correctness. It was kind of like trying to plug a hole in a boat with a toothpick. I was amazed how many people there just buy crap and show it off, and don't use any of it.

Plus, they make fun of Hydlide on there. Only idiots that didn't read the manual do that. If they can't RTFM for a game that simple, they're all dumb, and screwed. No amount of help will fix them.

I just realized I said "expertiser" and it sounds funny , so I refuse to edit it.

lol.

Yeah, it reminds me of George Bush's way of saying terrorist in Harold and Kumar Escape from Guantanamo Bay.

"Hahah they thought you were terrorizers!?"

I'll be using the word "expertiser" any chance I get in the future. ;)

(And back on topic, I tried the Digital Press forums, but I could never get into them. The "vibe" there is just different and nowhere as inviting as AA.)

Digital Press is excellent, easily on par with AA.

Of coure you always have your weirdos and so-called 'expertisers' like 'my NES is better than you 4-bit VCS', but that happens here on AA and in real life too of course, you just gotta rise above it.

Edited by high voltage

Digital Press is excellent, easily on par with AA.

Of coure you always have your weirdos like 'my NES is better than you 4-bit VCS', but that happens here and in real life too of course, you just gotta rise above it.

I dunno. When you got 20000 post retards making up facts about computers and telling people who don't know any better, that's a bit of an issue.

• Like 1

Of course, quantity is not quality, that is the case everywhere though. But the little bit of quality outweighs the quantity, same here.

I would of agreed a few years back, my experiences there the last year or so tells a different story, it is definitely not the same mentality or support there these days. I do not claim this easily or happily, I keep trying only to be proven over and over that I just do not have the fun there I use to, not even close....

I joined 08-11-2003 and all I can say is if your enjoying the community there great but I have seen it decay greatly over the years. We can only judge from our own experiences though.

Edited by OldSchoolRetroGamer

Actually I stopped looking in DigitPress just because of the sheer volumn.

I really only care about colecovision, hence my name :)

In DigitPress I had to search through all these threads I didn't care about to look for colecovision stuff where as here on AtariAge everything is seperated nicely so I can look at only what I care about and not have to search for it.

I never really gave it much of a chance because of that so didn't really see any crazy things on there

I have been on and off with DP since the beginning. Early on I was an AA loyalist and I was there when the big schism that no one talks about went down. Since then I've been on and off a member at DP, but I agree that there a sense of nerd superiority on that forum that just hasn't existed over here at AA. Even NA has a bit of that "mods run amok" and "inner circle" kind of thing going that AA has managed to keep to a minimum when it happens at all. AA will always be first in my heart as it has consistently been the most friendly and welcoming forum I have ever been a part of.

There are some good eggs at DP, but there is too much nerd superiority to wade through to get to those eggs.

Plus, I don't like the DP color scheme that much.