IGNORED

Digitpress Forum

NinjaWarrior

Been fine since they went back online until just now. Another popup by my antivirus with a similar error as a week ago or so. Something about blocking an exploit rogue scanner or something like that.

So I assume the website with the most technical issues I've ever seen got hacked again tonight.

I used to visit every day, but after server upgrades and forum upgrades, the theme looks strange and it's more difficult to navigate, so I don't anymore.

Also, on *this* forum,

1) I don't like the mobile version of the site - so I have to have a browser on my tablet I can set to desktop

2) The logon form/method never saves my logon with a cookie, so I have to go through that odd popup logon every single time.

Edited by R.Cade

Why would anybody hack Digitpress for??

It could be caused by former members of DP or current members getting back at the DP site. I mentioned this because the last time I really spent time on DP in January, there appeared to be some problems behind the scene based on what I gathered on the forums before the topics on that issue got locked.

Edited by 8th lutz

Why would anybody hack Digitpress for??

It could be caused by former members of DP or current members getting back at the DP site. I mentioned this because the last time I really spent time on DP in January, there appeared to be some problems behind the scene based on what I gathered on the forums before the topics on that issue got locked.

I'd say it's likely this. Banned members sometimes have really bad blood about the situation on any forum, and there occasionally are attempts to 'retaliate' via hacking the site. It's a pretty common occurrence for all forums, to be honest.

As per DP itself, it's a really good repository of information, and I think a lot of the complaints people have about it are similar to the same complaints everyone has about just about every forum -- members of an "inner circle" type clique, moderators over or undermoderating, trolls and other various unappealing personality types. It's always best to step back and think about it -- you realize that those are all common things for every forum, not just one or two in particular.

Hey, first post here. :)

As it is, I used to be a member of DP (take a wild guess what my username there is/was), and I can safely say that the place is horrible.

I'd start with a long, angry opening, but a list'll get the point across better.

1) The Overall Design of DP

I still don't know how or why anyone can put up with the formatting of the forums and the site in general. While the sidebar can be somewhat appreciable, it's a case of the usual "We're too lazy to meet more modern internet design standards" across the whole site, with many pages looking like they haven't been touched since 2005 at the most. Not only that, but the forums themes aren't even close to decent. As far as choices go, it's either an eye-searing Virtual Boy-esque theme or a generic-looking vBender white-and-blue layout. I've seen sites that haven't been updated since 2002 that hold up better in looks than this.

2) The Types of Posters

Ohhoho, this part. I don't know about you, but the clique system going on there is ridiculous. When you go in there, it seems like a room full of people with seven rooms' worth of games and game paraphernalia that don't ever get played, 35 year olds acting like they're twelve over the "16-Bit Wars" in thread upon thread, people acting like assholes to newer people just because they hadn't been there for a decade and didn't have 128,512 posts like they do, people who never seem to leave the Buy/Sell boards, and then the 1% of sane people who you could actually talk to. Not only that, but it seems/seemed like you can/could easily become an outcast just because you weren't some idiot spamming "Garry Shandling" in an in-joke that required digging back year after year after year of old threads just to begin to understand.

3) The Ridiculous Ego-tripping of the Mods

It always seemed like to me that the mods there had a horrific buddy system. If you were either there since the forums opened, ever went to a CGE, or just portrayed the mods as (heh heh, rhyming) gods, you were a-OK. If you didn't do any of that, then you wouldn't be surprised to see that they really seemed to do nothing every time some heckling idiot decides to derail a thread you or someone else posted in. Also, if you want the ultimate example of how far they've fallen, I've got a little story here about me and my 1,999th post.

I was three posts away from 2000 posts. It seemed pretty good to me, as I'd only been there for all of two, maybe three years. Since I knew that most people there probably stuck to Virtual Boy Vision for their board theme, I used pure black text at the bottom of my two posts- up to 1,999- to say that I was sort of amused at the fact that I was reaching 2,000. As it was a slow point on the board during that point in the day, I decided to go off and do other things. When I came back, I flipped out to hell and back.

I'd somehow gone from 1,999 posts- nearly all of those little Pac Man icons- to zero- "Insert Coin."

Freaking out, I decided to PM some people to find out what happened. After a few minutes, I got a PM telling me that one of the mods decided to do this, and all that happened when I questioned this was that people started treating me as some sort of idiot that should leave. Having enough of this stupidity, I did what I really should have done a year before that- I left, went exploring, and I ended up finding Jul, Sega-16, NintendoAge, /v/ (yes, I just said that), and here. All of them (yes, even /v/) are still much more enjoyable to be around and read than DP ever was.

Overall, I'm just writing off all the hacking and crashing of DP down as well-deserved karma. To me, it seems like they took the praise that people used to dump on them as some sort of "gaming mecca" too far, and have managed to pull a Roman Empire on themselves due to it. Not only that, but even Joe- the founder of Digital Press- recognizes this, as he's started a new website for his store, and with it a new forum. I've even thought of joining it, since it seems like it might turn out to be better than the original, not to mention it's not red-and-black themed, so it can actually be read without eye strain.

So, yeah. First post, letting out something I've been meaning to say since late 2010/early 2011. Good riddance to the old DP, and I hope Joe succeeds again with his new website, and that all the trouble can be left behind for a better future overall.

• Like 2

I agree with basically everything you said there, Enig, with one exception. I went to 2 CGE shows. Just attended one, and then helped set-up and worked at the DP booth (both days) at another. In the end, they still treated me like shit. Not Joe, but the asshat mods and admins. That place has a clique system like no other forums on the net. Neo-Geo.com isn't that bad.

Chris

• Like 1

I still don't know how or why anyone can put up with the formatting of the forums and the site in general. While the sidebar can be somewhat appreciable, it's a case of the usual "We're too lazy to meet more modern internet design standards" across the whole site, with many pages looking like they haven't been touched since 2005 at the most. Not only that, but the forums themes aren't even close to decent. As far as choices go, it's either an eye-searing Virtual Boy-esque theme or a generic-looking vBender white-and-blue layout. I've seen sites that haven't been updated since 2002 that hold up better in looks than this.

That sidebar bothered me tremendously, until one day in 2003 I found out how to get past it. Just go to http://www.digitpress.com/forum/ and you won't see it. :)

That sidebar bothered me tremendously, until one day in 2003 I found out how to get past it. Just go to http://www.digitpress.com/forum/ and you won't see it. :)

I have an even more direct link:

http://www.digitpress.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?11-Classic-Gaming

Honestly, I don't know how someone can talk crap about DP's layout and theme when it's customizeable. People complain about the Virtual Boy look, but you can change the theme in your settings! If you don't like frames, go directly to the forum. It's not difficult. I also, although I stay only in the Classic Gaming/Classic Computing forums, have not at all seen any of the cliquishness or any braggadocio moderators. But then again, I'm not that frequent of a post, and only recently just started actually posting, so maybe I miss all that.

I'm not even sure how you could have that opinion of the moderators there. I've been a user there for years and other than a private message once requesting something which was quickly done, I've never seen any need to have personal interaction with them. The opportunity to possibly take issue with them has largely never even appeared.

It seems like unless someone is constantly causing trouble there, I'm not even sure why there would be much communication at all between a user and the staff beyond the normal course of public conversation in actual forum threads. Heck, until all this drama, I didn't even realize someone that apparantly manages the forum these days was anything more than just another forum user.

If anything, the moderating is far too lax and should be much more visible there. Their largely hands off approach to things I think hasn't done the community any favors since it has let problems develop and simmer that could've been clamped down almost before they even started. About the only serious complaints I have are the technical glitches that have been a tradition there and the actual content. People hardly ever discuss actual videogames over there these days it seems. You're much more likely to find a dozen threads about DRM before you would ever see a active thread about a game itself. The first page of modern gaming has a grand total of one thread about an actual game (And even that is a bit of a stretch since it's more about controversy, it deals with the widely criticized ending of Mass Effect 3).

I just used my old account to go read the big fight sticky in the Off Topic area of DP.

Dear God, it's like watching a political debate if it was hosted in a high-traffic bar. Nothing but "No, YOU'RE the bad guy!!" going back and forth right now. I'm really seeing why Joe has abandoned the place- it's like a miniature Cold War right now. :-o

• Like 1

Just checked it an its working fine as of this morning. Because of this thread I did go look through some of the longer posts and some off topic ones and there does seem to be a fair bit of drama there. I don't follow the site closely enough to really have any idea of whats going on though.

Honestly, at the disadvantage of looking like I'm spamming this page with my viewpoint, it just seems a lot better to me that all fanbases have their own domains (NA, AA, S-16, etc.) instead of converging somewhere. Converging just seems to make more problems than it should (lookin' at you, Genesis vs. SNES).

I just used my old account to go read the big fight sticky in the Off Topic area of DP.

Dear God, it's like watching a political debate if it was hosted in a high-traffic bar. Nothing but "No, YOU'RE the bad guy!!" going back and forth right now. I'm really seeing why Joe has abandoned the place- it's like a miniature Cold War right now. :-o

I don't see it. The only Stickies I see in their Off-Topic forum are:

Asperger's Syndrome and Video Game Collecting

I can not log in?

Random questions!

A New Story

Help DP Be Self-Sufficient?

None of those sound like flame-war debates, to me at least.

I don't see it. The only Stickies I see in their Off-Topic forum are:

Asperger's Syndrome and Video Game Collecting

I can not log in?

Random questions!

A New Story

Help DP Be Self-Sufficient?

None of those sound like flame-war debates, to me at least.

It should be the one about the problems with PMs, unless they wiped it.