IGNORED

Which MAME front end to you recommend?

FlightSuit

OK, so I installed MAMEUI, downloaded a couple of ROMs, threw them in the ROMS folder and...

Nothing.

Worse yet, I can't find a beginner's guide or instructions and the message board at mameui.info is pretty disorganized. I tried looking at their FAQs, but that was just message-board related questions, as opposed to FAQs about MAMEUI.

So tell me please, what do I need to do to get it working?

OK, so I installed MAMEUI, downloaded a couple of ROMs, threw them in the ROMS folder and...

Nothing.

Worse yet, I can't find a beginner's guide or instructions and the message board at mameui.info is pretty disorganized. I tried looking at their FAQs, but that was just message-board related questions, as opposed to FAQs about MAMEUI.

So tell me please, what do I need to do to get it working?

More detail, you put the roms in the folder, then what? You launched the Mameui interface? Did the roms appear in the list? Did you configure the interface after loading it? Once the ROM names appear on the list you just double click one you want to play.

http://emulationunderground.net/smf/index.php?topic=118.0

http://www.emucation.com/forum/post.php?thread=3262&page=1

Edited by OldSchoolRetroGamer

OK, I tried the ROM for Donkey Kong (US Set 1). Got an error message saying a buncha files were missing. I thought that was a self-contained ROM though. Do I need others?

As to the MAMEUI interface, if I click on "available games," nothing shows up.

Should I just copy all my ROMS from MAME OS X and put 'em in MAMEUI's ROMS folder? Is it picky about whether you're using the absolute latest ROM sets?

OK, I tried the ROM for Donkey Kong (US Set 1). Got an error message saying a buncha files were missing. I thought that was a self-contained ROM though. Do I need others?

As to the MAMEUI interface, if I click on "available games," nothing shows up.

Should I just copy all my ROMS from MAME OS X and put 'em in MAMEUI's ROMS folder? Is it picky about whether you're using the absolute latest ROM sets?

Now the fun begins. You need versions of the ROMS that match the version of MAME that you are using! That is why you are getting the message you mentioned. There are ways to update the rom set but someone else will have to help you with that, I tend to obtain complete updated rom sets for use with the latest version of MAME just to save myself the trouble.

First, go to OPTIONS | DIRECTORIES and verify that the path is set to the correct ROMS directory location.

OK that fixed it. Thanks so much!

Unfortunately, MAMEUI has now caused me a big problem, and I need more help!

I was playing Buggy Challenge, and the game really started to mess up, so I hit the escape key several times to get out of it. Somehow, while the game was crashing and I was exiting out of it, MAMEUI decided to configure my screen in portrait, rather than landscape mode.

And now it's stuck like that!

In other words, I'd have to rotate my screen counter clockwise and set it on its side in order to be able to use it!

It stayed that way even after I restarted the computer!

I can't find anything in MAMEUI that would control this, nor can I figure out where in Windows XP I would go to adjust this. I tried the displays control panel, but there didn't seem to be any option that would control this.

The only reason I'm even able to type this is that my computer is a Macintosh and I rebooted from my OS X partition.

Please help!

Thanks!

Never mind, I fixed it. Learned about control-ALT-arrow key.

Now then, why can't I get Dazzler and Logger working? I've got my cvs.zip bios file... I've got Dark Warrior, Hunchback, and Wall Street...

Is there another Century Electronics ROM that I'm missing? Despite the fact that I have all of the above, I'm still getting the following error message:

dazzler : 5b.bin (2048 bytes) - NOT FOUND

dazzler : 82s185.10h (2048 bytes) - NOT FOUND

dazzler : 82s123.10k (32 bytes) - NOT FOUND

Is there another Century Electronics ROM that I'm missing? Despite the fact that I have all of the above, I'm still getting the following error message:

dazzler : 5b.bin (2048 bytes) - NOT FOUND

dazzler : 82s185.10h (2048 bytes) - NOT FOUND

dazzler : 82s123.10k (32 bytes) - NOT FOUND

Well.. did you even look at your Dazzler.zip and see if those files are in it? That would be a good first step. :P

Here's what I got.. I haven't tried it to see if it works though but it does have what you listed.

dazzler.zip

• 2 weeks later...

Which front-end is the best will depend on what you want out of it. If you just want a quick and dirty list of your MAME games and a display of their screen shots and history, MAMEUI32/64 is a good one.

For my part, I exclusively use 3D Arcade. It's a bear to configure, but for my purposes it blows GameEx away. I haven't found an emulator it won't run, given some extensive tweaking. I can't get it to save cabinet positions no matter what (not sure if this is a Windows 7 bug or not), but I learned how to edit the files manually and got the desired results. By far, the hardest part was getting music and music video playlists to happen on the "projector screen" models, but it was worth it in the end for a true virtual arcade experience. Like I said, you may need a Ph.D. in information systems to set it up, but it's worth it if you take the time and have a system that can run it. I'm running MAME, MisfitMAME, Atari 2600 (MESS and Z24), Sega Genesis (MESS), Nintendo Entertainment System (MESS), Commodore 64 (WinVICE), Playstation (epsxe), laserdisc (Daphne), pinball machines (via 3 versions of Virtual PinMAME and Future Pinball), DOS (DOSBox), and regular Windows games out of it with no problems. I even made a couple of models of pizzas to have sitting on the tables. :) It's the equivalent of a doll house for grown men.

I'm making my own hillbilly-tech front-end for MESS Atari 2600 by setting up an artwork file that has separate views for each game that include the box cover and the cartridge image. Tedious, but I'm a child of the 70s and simply must have my commercial imagery and pretty colors.

P.S. -- Any friend of Johnny Sokko is a friend of mine!

Edited by SexToyKiosk

• 1 month later...

Pleasuredome is THE BEST. They're very friendly over there if you ever need help.

They helped me to use CLRMAMEPRO to fix my problems. I hardly have any bad stuff anymore.

They always have the latest updates too.

Definitely the best.

However, read the faqs and make sure you watch your upload\download ratio - if you start leeching like crazy, you will get shitlisted...

Hi,

Just in case , you can also try my front End : AtomicFE

http://www.atomicfe.com

;)

And a big plus 1 on that - definitely a great FrontEnd to more emulate an arcade feel.

;)

Edited by Havok69

How about Ultrastyle?

Ultrastyle is not being supported any more. Hyperspin would be a better choice, however there is a learning curve and you need a beefy pc to run just the front end. Here's a good place to compare\contrast programs. The nice thing about these is that you can run all of them simultaneously to see which one best suits your needs.

http://wiki.arcadeco...wiki/Front-Ends

Edited by Havok69