IGNORED

Game UWOL

José Pereira

Hi, are you saying that if in G2F I point "0" on left, in the Gfxs. mode it isn't consider Blank/not used?
That's ok, selecting 0 will inclue the 8 blank lines on that row correctly in the display list but like Heaven says, it's not a big deal and the coder would have set it manually. Edited by Tezz

• 4 weeks later...

any progress?

Yes, but some "quoting":

José Pereira.

Posted Tue Oct 12, 2010 5:46 PM Post #1

Dragonstomper

Hi, this is serious.

I have finally get a Game running.

It's all that usually stuff from me (all thinked, Chars, tiles, PMs, blah, blah,...), but this time someone is coding the Game.

This will be my first one.

I'm so happy, I can't believe I finally made it!

But I need some one(s) to help me and the coder:

-> TITTLE/LOADING SCREENS: I'm not very good at G2F static Screens. They are two simple 2:1 without lots of colours.

-> SPRITE SHAPES: All the Enemys and Gfxs. are done. Just need someone to convert 6 Sprite Shapes size 2Chars x 2Chars (1:1) into the same in 2:1. It's "our Kid".

Not very difficult, but he's a "running Man" and I am with some difficulties.

-> MUSIC&FX: Only one little piece of Music (from C64&/orZX, almost identical) and a little FXs. Beeps during Game playing on.

We would need this untill the next week, as we will have something to show and get the permission of the original authors (ZX version) and some of the Backgr. Gfxs Author (C64 version). Hope someone here can help...

Thank you.

Greetings.

José Pereira.

Posted Thu Oct 14, 2010 2:58 PM Post #8

José Pereira.

Dragonstomper

O.k. what I need is someone to take "Our Guy" from the UWOL Game.

Taking C64 Sprites and colour them (it must have this colours, but just PAINT it in 2:1, no need to be on G2F, as it will have a PL. overlay to get those colours) it is more or less this:

You could free re-design this 1:1

Now I take this into 2:1 automatic and get this:

The best, probably, is to get off some of that Black Lines on the Body/Shoes, leaving just the Eyes and some Borders as Black.

The Shoes pixels and their movement also need to redesign (The Head isn't so Bad at all)

Each Shape can also have other width. You can have maxim. 8Pixels (2:1) Horizontal x 16 Pixels Vertical (2x2Chars).

This is not to me.

I started to try, but I destroyed them all!...

Anyone here can gives us a help?

Thanks.

Greetings.

José Pereira.

(P.s.- 1st Line Shapes ate the Player walking naked and 2nd is him walking the same but with a Clothe (Dracula Style).)

Posted Thu Oct 14, 2010 6:24 PM Post #9

José Pereira.

Dragonstomper

Our Artist "is a must" .

Pixel perfect with A8 Pallete/Colours:

The Sprites is what is killing me, almost all other things work/on the (good) way.

Help, please!...

Thanks.

Greetings.

José Pereira.

In October it was almost as it is now (only that Logo, "Game Over", "End",... were added). If probably someone help in October you probably would have the Game by now! ;)

And I never get any answer.

I had to knock on many Doors untill I found someone...

Don't be worry as it is almost finish.

The Screen Map, Sprites, Screens, Musics&Fxs.

Just got the UWOL Guy almost done in the other Week and the coder hadn't much time in the last week, but I assure that things are going in a good way.

You'll have it, be patient, just some more time...

Greetings.

José Pereira.

• 3 weeks later...

Heeeelloooo!!!

Anybody home?

:P

Hi, probably at the begining of the Year...

If you followed with attention the Threads here at AA you sure read "the search for Gauntman (the coder)" and that he said he was 2weeks out and by the end of the Year you could expect some great News about UWOL.

Better is you expect on the begining of the New Year.

But you'll have it, for sure...

Greetings.

José Pereira.

Edited by José Pereira

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi Gauntman,

How's it going? Any news on progress? The game looks interesting and I like the thought of modern day games for retro machines being developed for different platforms.

By the way, what language are you using? Assembly?

I'm currently considering whether my next project should be in Assembly or shall I do it in 'C' again. At least with 'C', I have some routines already done. Oh well, sorry, I'm starting to ramble...

I am writing this in assembly, using the original C source as a guide. The actual game logic was not too hard to port - I am struggling right now with getting softsprites running quickly enough for NTSC. Currently, I am working on turning off the O/S to get more memory, which should allow me to unroll more code.

I am writing this in assembly, using the original C source as a guide. The actual game logic was not too hard to port - I am struggling right now with getting softsprites running quickly enough for NTSC. Currently, I am working on turning off the O/S to get more memory, which should allow me to unroll more code.

Just forget NTSC ;)

Hmm, yes, I know the feeling with trying to get things working with NTSC.

I have some routines linked into the VBI and to save time, I now only poll the joystick 1 in 2 frames but then get it to do twice as much as before. It's not the actual polling that is the problem, it is the moving of my sprites or rather working out where the hell on the screen that they should be. (I'm programming a car based game, the car can be at many angles and is using a coordinate system which is for X=(0-319) and Y (0-367) which are 16 bit values).

Dropping NTSC was an idea that I pondered with (and still do). Here are my considerations:

1) Do I really want to drop the game for 50% of the viewing market?

2) Is my code already perfectly tuned? Probably not... and if not, lets not think of dropping NTSC support yet.

3) Do most NTSC users really use real hardware? I'm guessing that most people play in emulators most of the time, which will allow PAL support.

4) Do I really understand coding for NTSC, no, not fully.

Is there anything that you can pre-calculate?

Are there any game features that you could drop to save processor time?

Unfortunately, you do not have the luxury that I have which is being able to re-code some C code into Assembly as you've already done that.

Best of luck.

I really hate to drop NTSC support, since I am an NTSC user... I was always sad to see a cool game that I could not play on my own system back in the day. Of course, now most people probably can/do use emulators, but I still really would like to squeeze this into a game that I could have played back in 1986 on Christmas day!

If worse comes to worse, I probably could double buffer and drop to 30 frames/sec - but that would require reworking a lot of logic code and the graphics system (the original UWOL worked at 25 frames/sec).

• 1 month later...

I really hate to drop NTSC support, since I am an NTSC user... I was always sad to see a cool game that I could not play on my own system back in the day. Of course, now most people probably can/do use emulators, but I still really would like to squeeze this into a game that I could have played back in 1986 on Christmas day!

If worse comes to worse, I probably could double buffer and drop to 30 frames/sec - but that would require reworking a lot of logic code and the graphics system (the original UWOL worked at 25 frames/sec).

The things are going slowly because the lack of Gauntman's time...

But as Gfxs. talking all is done...

Was only left to do the Uwol guy shapes because we never found anything that looks good...

But now I think we finally have.

Today I just get this 'without clothes' shapes and tomorrow or so I expect to have the guy 'with the clothes'

post-6517-0-51208600-1302171501_thumb.gif

:thumbsup:

José Pereira.

post-6517-0-93639100-1302273235_thumb.png

The guys moving 'with clothes':

post-6517-0-75266500-1302273403_thumb.gif

(seems more "boxing' than 'walking' but don't want to spent more time in just a GIF animation)

'With clothes' shapes finally finished.

Some little changes now need on the 'without clothes' moving.

Will send this to Gauntman on this weekend... let's hope he has some time in the next days/weeks, soo that we all finally get this Game done!...

José Pereira.

Hi, o.k. can't resist anymore...

This was for some time in the deepest of YouTube...

I create a channel but no publicity... but someone(s) discouver, as you can see in the nº of views.

The Top&bottom scores aren't with PMs. coloured overlays, the Enemys Bitmap Masking aren't also real pixel shape defined nor the UWOL guy (was only a White Box, now it getting into a good IMHO finally!...).

The Music was also not finished (I think that it's already by an A8 talented guy that is always trying to get the full of our beloved A8 Machines sounds :thumbsup: )

But as I said I couldn't resist anymore, because I know you all want to see something and that the UWOL Game is really going on...

Haven't talk with Gauntman for some days, but he sure wouldn't mind you all see this:

Sure it will be better, much better when all is O.K. and finished!

:thumbsup:

José Pereira.

Looking good Jose and Gauntman!

How's Gauntman getting on with getting the soft sprites quick enough for NTSC?

Thanks.

He didn't have time on the last Month...

He said me some days ago he was trying to get some days on April to get the game going... and ask me to send these new (and final!...) Uwol guy's shapes.

José Pereira.

Hi, sadly nothing new untill now...

I was just thinking in gauntman's problem to get things working in NTSC.

Normally, like other versions the screen will look something like this:

post-6517-0-97532700-1302785999_thumb.png

But in A8 version I need Black to be PF0 instead of Backgr. register (need to 'Mask' PM2/PM3).

Like that there's lots of useless part of the screen.

To copy other versions 100% screen looking it have to be 48bytes wide screen

This is a lot of bytes/cycles wasted.

What I thought was really get almost all this off, going into 32bytes Narrow Mode and also put some Blank scanlines on the Top and on the bottom.

With this it certainly have even more than needed to run in NTSC.

But is this looking good?

post-6517-0-33528600-1302786232_thumb.png

:?

José Pereira.

40wide also possible, but to get almost the cycles free need to add some more blank scanlines at the Top and on the Bottom:

post-6517-0-13693600-1302790193_thumb.png

And probably get 1char high more on Left and right using Backgr. register colour to have better distribution of the Borders:

post-6517-0-82953400-1302790250_thumb.png

Still :?

What's your opinion? Wich one looks better? Anyother Ideas?

Thanks.

José Pereira.

Edited by José Pereira