IGNORED

Game UWOL

José Pereira

post-6517-0-33528600-1302786232_thumb.png

I think this one doesn't look that bad at all. The thin black border (in 32wide mode) even adds something, I'd like to say, like some balance. IMHO, the 40wide mode doesn't look that nice.

By the way, another solution could be this:

Step 1: Turn into 48 wide mode.

Step 2: Use DLI to turn border/background palette to black, only in the top & bottom area (above/underneath the actual game screen).

This will surely minimize the blue area in the borders.

...but, I recognize this as a problem we can encounter if we're gonna use PM underlays; especially in horizontal fine-scrolling mode.

post-6517-0-33528600-1302786232_thumb.png

I think this one doesn't look that bad at all. The thin black border (in 32wide mode) even adds something, I'd like to say, like some balance. IMHO, the 40wide mode doesn't look that nice.

By the way, another solution could be this:

Step 1: Turn into 48 wide mode.

Step 2: Use DLI to turn border/background palette to black, only in the top & bottom area (above/underneath the actual game screen).

This will surely minimize the blue area in the borders.

...but, I recognize this as a problem we can encounter if we're gonna use PM underlays; especially in horizontal fine-scrolling mode.

Thanks Analmux.

About your 48wide suggestion:

If I understand it right, you'll have the Top and Bottom outside scanlines as Blank ones, but the Backgr. register colour will be Black instead of Blue...

Yes, but that's what we already have in the current version.

If we 'mathematical' (48wide and Top&Bottom many scanlines in Black) there aren't the needed cycles to NTSC.

That's what we have now...

'NOW' we have 48wide screen and 192scanlines used and 2Charsets.

'ON MY 32WIDE THAT YOU LIKE' you'll have 216scanlines used and 2Charsets.

If you count cycles you'll see that there are lots more free in 32wide.

Thanks.

Greets.

José Pereira.

Edited by José Pereira

'NOW' we have 48wide screen and 192scanlines used and 2Charsets.

'ON MY 32WIDE THAT YOU LIKE' you'll have 216scanlines used and 2Charsets.

If you count cycles you'll see that there are lots more free in 32wide.

Sometimes I think, you don't understand your own thoughts. Ofcourse you have to reduce the screen to 32 bytes for NTSC , and have the gamescreen centered.

That's why I proposed at a very early state of the "game idea" to use hires with PM overlays.

Of course all black would be better, but as long as the COLBK is a solid (dark) color, like it is in this case, its Ok. I don't like to see "DLIs" like it would be in the "Interlude". :(

And of course I do not want it to be hi-res with one color. :)

Ah! You are stucked with something ;)

Sure you are, because I think you finally read my long Message... but no, it will be INTERLUDE with 40wide and the Border using the Darkgray same as here Dark Blue.

You didn't read all or pay attention. I only say for you try with 40wide and I will get the Ground Floor the way to get there also the Dark Gray as the Backgr. colour register.

:|

Greets.

José Pereira.

• 1 month later...

The Things were going very well but sadly Gauntmann started not having time in last Months.

There's all things like Charsets/Engine/colours/Levels build/PMs/Music&Fxs...

Gauntman was having some troubles in NTSC version and he want that it runs it both PAL&NTSC.

The last thing that there wasn't in the game was the Uwol guy sprite but as you could see some weeks ago in my Picture/Avatar the Frames were already done.

These Frames and the real SoftSprite Masking is what still need to be done.

And in last conversation I did with Gauntman he said he think he can get all going on, even in NTSC, without the Blue Border and all Black 48wide (like other systems versions).

I can'ty do anything more then praying/hopping Gauntman have some time to finish this...

It was my first Game beeing coded, started almost a year ago... starnge that then others are beeing coded by other coders... and more strange or not, is that they are perhaps same way as UWOL.

But we know that all of us today are doing these things in part/free-time.

UWOL and others will come just don't know when...

Thanks for your interest.

Greets.

José Pereira.

• 1 month later...

Was looking at some of these intermission screens, and I wondered how these would look using DIN mode ...

That is, Antic 2 flipped with Antic 4 every VBI and PF2 cycled to keep the background black, 20 colors possible using artifacting. It looks like you've masked PMG's on top of the graphics, but maybe using DIN might increase your colors, and it is possible to do this without too much flicker, I think.

bump

BUMP

bump

You can get answers if you 'knock on Gauntman's door...'

The things were going well.

I get all Chars/Charsets, PMs and PRIORs, Engine, colours, all.

All the Game and the Intermission screens by me, Loading and Presentation screens (including an original A8 only) and all the ten Tunes and Sound Fxs. by someone very well known here.

Gauntman started not get here so many times. My Messages to him started to be some days without answer, then more and more days...

There was a time that you probably remember that I post here a Topic to see if there's anyone here that knows anything about him.

I then remember that I always thought he had something to do with Envision and from there I get his E-Mail.

He comes into here saying that he was at the States.

I tried again to that mail some Months ago... Last time he get into AtariAge was on may (you can confirm this if you visit his Personal Page here).

I can't say more, just that my part it's all done.

I don't even know if I sent him another Mail, I just really don't know.

José Pereira.

Edited by José Pereira

• 1 year later...

Last year I wanted to make Uwol for Atari, but Jose said that Gauntman still works on this game... :/

So I created official Uwol port for Android. Yesterday I published it in Google Play:

https://play.google....gisforgame.uwol

I know this is not Atari but enjoy!

Thank you very much for your rates, reviews in Google Play, and for facebook "likes"

https://www.facebook.com/GisforGame

Edited by nosty
  • Like 6

damn amazon and their bespoke storefront. Any chance of throwing it on there? :)

that said personally I'm more of an iOS type myself. Did you do it in Java, or take the JNI route? If it's the latter it shouldn't be too bad to port to iOS. I did consider it whilst messing around with the data files to start an Amiga/ST port to be honest...

Edited by sack-c0s

• 2 weeks later...

Yes there is. Even before and/after again!

There wasn't almost any other version when me...

So with respect I may say to you that's better to you learn some code because they will never accept!

Better you learn how to code because if you don't know how to and try your best then the fault is yours

Is it really worth all this trouble?

Here is a screen done by Jose that he asked me to post for him:

------------------------------------

Quote:

"Last Night I was thinking that I could get it using PRIOR0 and have Oring between PMGs in Multicolour Mode.

And that's it."

msg-6517-0-74195700-1366811600_thumb.png

"( :roll: Who would ever say that this is just an only 5colours screens? :) )

(Oops. Forgot to have the PM2 and PM3 Oring White/PF2 below the "DING"!)"

Thanks Pop.

Damn old mobile phone that there's no way to upload images here.

That image from Popmilo it's indeed by Emkay who was also working in the other loading and presentation screens. Here I just change some of the Emkay's original to have the same but 'loads' more colours because even it's still an ANTIC4 5colours just one charset without any DLIs. Just PMG eachone used one single time but PRIOR0 and Multicolour PMGs enabled.

But new UWOL's only that this time I simply 'give-up' of Gauntman no answering for many Months and I am now waiting for a new one's answer to do the code:

http://formatwar.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=419&p=6475#p6475

Me again, this time here :)

I'm still waiting for the new 'coder' answer but my work continues.

This last version Uwol is less C.P.U. intensive/less, small use of DLIs and PMGs than the older one.

It's more simply to code but it's even better looking (I should had thought this way in the beginning):

The guy 'with' and 'without' clothes GIFs:

post-6517-0-55452600-1367490319.gif

post-6517-0-55452600-1367490319.gif

And all that's done by now (all tiles of the game Playing Area done but not yet put on the different screens 'sort of Editor' I got):

post-6517-0-10057900-1367490437_thumb.png

It's missing only the large Loading screen with all the creatures but also the Credits/Introduction screen

:)

post-6517-0-32799500-1367490353.gif

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...