IGNORED

Project "OverAqu"

the-topdog

Looks great.

It would be a gratuitous touch if they said "Printed in U.S.A." on the backside. ;)

Many of the original overlays said "Printed in Hong Kong" on the back.

Half-joking here.

LOL! That would be pretty cool actually, I'll see what I can do.

One thing that will be incorporated in all overlays is that they will all be clearly marked "Reproduction" on them so people cannot pass them off as originals... they are obviously inferior and made of cardstock, but you wouldn't be able to tell that in a picture... so I feel this would be the best solution to stop evil-doers from doing... well... evil :D

Ok... minor setback... I didn't get to work on the overlays this weekend like I planned... my computer decided it didn't like life anymore and melted down on Friday :x ... spent the weekend recovering the data and setting up a new PC. Good thing I'm so anal I have backups upon backups. I'm back to 100% now.

I will attempt to get some work done on the overlays during the week after work sometime. I want these to be ready to go when Jay is ready with the multicart.

Ok, have made significant progress! It took 10 test cuts and minor adjustments to the cut mask to get the overlays to line up. Here is the final attempt #10! Success!

overaqu-test-cut-10.jpg

The next step was to register the overlay graphics with that cut mask. After some trial and error I massaged the graphics to fit and had success on attempt #8.

overaqu-print-registration-08.jpg

Then I hit a snag... The paper swells slightly because of the ink and I couldn't get the blade to cut all the way through the card stock once it was printed. I tried the thicker backing mat they provide for thick materials but the tacky surface is too sticky and I wind up curling the overlays when I peel them off of it. I will try again today... I am going to roll a cotton bath towel across the sticky surface a few times so that the backing mat is less aggressively sticky, then try again.

With a little luck, I will have produced the first Space Speller and Zero In overlays since the 80's. :D

topdog, is this little diecutting machine able to cut material equivilent to intellivision overlays? also same size

if so, how long would it take to output a few hundred?

Yes it does and can. It takes about 3 minutes to cut a set of Aquarius overlays, which are much more intricate, so I would think you could cut an Intellivision overlay in seconds... I bet like 6-8 could fit on one 8-1/2x11 sheet... so probably less than a minute to cut a full sheet.

So as long as you have everything pre-printed and ready to cut, I can see you easily cutting 100 per hour.

Edited by the-topdog

topdog, is this little diecutting machine able to cut material equivilent to intellivision overlays? also same size

if so, how long would it take to output a few hundred?

Yes it does and can. It takes about 3 minutes to cut a set of Aquarius overlays, which are much more intricate, so I would think you could cut an Intellivision overlay in seconds... I bet like 6-8 could fit on one 8-1/2x11 sheet... so probably less than a minute to cut a full sheet.

So as long as you have everything pre-printed and ready to cut, I can see you easily cutting 100 per hour.

how does it know where to cut. i guess once i got one it would answer that question itself?

how does it know where to cut. i guess once i got one it would answer that question itself?

You have to draw an outline in the software that comes with it "Robo Master" Anywhere you put a line, the machine will cut. You can also import a scan or graphic and have it "trace" the outside of it for you... this option is pretty cool if you have a clean outline on the object.

I wound up drawing mine from scratch... the image I imported wasn't quite right. Here is the outline I wound up drawing.

post-24636-128918970328_thumb.jpg

I wound up drawing mine from scratch... the image I imported wasn't quite right. Here is the outline I wound up drawing.

So the earlier outline that you had didn't work out? Ugh. Sorry to hear that you had to do all that extra work, but at least now you have a good design.

I had an idea that might help with the swelling issues you're seeing (with the ink printed directly on the card stock): would it be any easier if you printed onto a full-sheet label, let it dry, then stick it onto a blank piece of card stock and cut the whole thing together? The label might dry faster without swelling up so much, and even if it wrinkles a bit from all the ink, the adhesive backing will help to hold it flat. You might have to go with lighter card stock, though, since the label on top of the heavier stuff might be too thick to cut.

So the earlier outline that you had didn't work out? Ugh. Sorry to hear that you had to do all that extra work, but at least now you have a good design.

I had an idea that might help with the swelling issues you're seeing (with the ink printed directly on the card stock): would it be any easier if you printed onto a full-sheet label, let it dry, then stick it onto a blank piece of card stock and cut the whole thing together? The label might dry faster without swelling up so much, and even if it wrinkles a bit from all the ink, the adhesive backing will help to hold it flat. You might have to go with lighter card stock, though, since the label on top of the heavier stuff might be too thick to cut.

Yeah the supposed "measured" drawing that the first guy supplied me wasn't quite right... the key cutouts were too small and 2 rows were misaligned... but when you use the "trace" function, it makes all of the cuts one object, so I wasn't able to individually adjust things... I could only effect the overall scale... so I just drew one up myself... that's why it took 10 tries to get it right :D

Printing onto a label and sticking it onto the cardstock would be much thicker than the swelling from printing... we are only talking like 1/1000 of an inch. The thicker cutting mat they provide allows for a much deeper cut so it will be fine once I de-sticky the mat sufficiently to not curl the overlays when I pull them off.

Edited by the-topdog

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Topdog, I was playing some Utopia last night (thanks again for the games) and got to thinking we hadn't heard about your efforts on the overlay front lately. Did you ever solve the curling issue? Morgan

The project is temporarily derailed. I can't get the curling problem under control. I think this electronic cutter is better suited for like Colecovision overlays and others that are one piece. For the Aquarius, the thin strips in the intricate cuts for the keyboard overlay are too delicate for pulling off of the sticky mat provided.

When I have some funds freed up I will be purchasing a die for the overlays... then I won't have to worry about anything, I can print in bulk and cut them with my 2 ton paper press. But money is tight right now as I am adding a garage to my house and that has me cash strapped for the next couple months.

Topdog, I was playing some Utopia last night (thanks again for the games) and got to thinking we hadn't heard about your efforts on the overlay front lately. Did you ever solve the curling issue? Morgan

The project is temporarily derailed. I can't get the curling problem under control. I think this electronic cutter is better suited for like Colecovision overlays and others that are one piece. For the Aquarius, the thin strips in the intricate cuts for the keyboard overlay are too delicate for pulling off of the sticky mat provided.

When I have some funds freed up I will be purchasing a die for the overlays... then I won't have to worry about anything, I can print in bulk and cut them with my 2 ton paper press. But money is tight right now as I am adding a garage to my house and that has me cash strapped for the next couple months.

I'm in the same situation, saving like crazy for a down payment. I would love to find a way to help with this though, how much are we talking about for the die?

I'm glad you're still interested in pursuing this. I still think it would be the perfect complement to the Aquaricart, and it would be very useful for future projects as well.

I can't get the curling problem under control. I think this electronic cutter is better suited for like Colecovision overlays and others that are one piece. For the Aquarius, the thin strips in the intricate cuts for the keyboard overlay are too delicate for pulling off of the sticky mat provided.

Just for my edification, does the sticky backing mat travel through the machine with the working stock, like a carrier goes through a laminator with the item to be laminated?

I can't get the curling problem under control. I think this electronic cutter is better suited for like Colecovision overlays and others that are one piece. For the Aquarius, the thin strips in the intricate cuts for the keyboard overlay are too delicate for pulling off of the sticky mat provided.

Just for my edification, does the sticky backing mat travel through the machine with the working stock, like a carrier goes through a laminator with the item to be laminated?

Yes. The cutting mat travels with the media... it has a sticky surface like the sticky on a post-it note.

• 6 months later...

Hmmm, I forgot all about this until I got my Aqaricart recently. Topdog, maybe we can do a kick-starter type of thing and folks can chip in some cash to help with the dies?

My construction project from hell is finally winding up... just gotta build the storage shelves and workbench... then I can get back to Project OverAqu. I'm going to bite the bullet and just purchase some dies for the overlays once I have cashflow again.