IGNORED

Donkey Kong Foundry

FlightSuit

Has anybody played this? I just discovered it for the first time a couple of days ago. Very interesting, as it goes way beyond your typical DK bootleg. In fact, MAME lists it as a "hack," rather than as a bootleg. Does anybody know anything about the history of DK Foundry? Was it ever actually in arcades during the original coin-op era, or is it a more recent labor of love created by hobbyists?

Has anybody played this? I just discovered it for the first time a couple of days ago. Very interesting, as it goes way beyond your typical DK bootleg. In fact, MAME lists it as a "hack," rather than as a bootleg. Does anybody know anything about the history of DK Foundry? Was it ever actually in arcades during the original coin-op era, or is it a more recent labor of love created by hobbyists?

It's a hack that never existed in the arcades. However, it's such a WELL DONE hack that it's now part of the canon. Hope we see more of this sort of thing.

It's a hack that never existed in the arcades. However, it's such a WELL DONE hack that it's now part of the canon. Hope we see more of this sort of thing.

Actually, you can play it on a real cabinet, at FunSpot, New Hampshire. Not sure what the story is behind how this came to be, but I saw the cabinet with my own eyes, when I visited FunSpot last year. :)

• 1 month later...

They need to do this with a few other games. I set up Asteroids, Space Wars, and Starhawk with a graphic of a starfield in the background, which made the games a lot easier on the eyes. But to truly hack a classic game and improve on it rocks! What about Battle Zone in color instead of monochrome, and with new types of enemies? Karate Champ with ninjas that has new moves and new scenes? Ms. Frogger? Super Gorf, with a spinner controller ala Tron that lets you shoot targets from an angle? Gauntlet or Gauntlet II with entirely new characters or even the ones used in Gauntlet Dark Legacy? All kinds of possibilities.

I've seen some data that makes it possible for Asteroids to have multicolor. You don't modify the ROMs but rather the video hardware. I'm sure it's possible to have Battlezone with multicolor.

I know I've seen a program that allows the people to modify the levels but not add new characters.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...