IGNORED

I want an 8 Bit... what do I want?

psquare75

What does a minty looking 800XL go for? I don't see them often in Marketplace.

Any why did no one mention an XE/XEGS setup? icon_confused.gif

Depends how minty you want it... Personally I'll get a working beat up machine if it nets me a ton of other stuff... The Mint in box you linked to I would probably pay no more than $100 shipped TOPS... For a really clean unit I would probably pay no more than $50 shipped...

I have a 130XE set up that I use online for Telnet, but again the keyboard is mushy.

My XEGS gets very little use, and a lot of people don't like the pastel buttons on it, plus it's huge when you add the keyboard (and a lot of games I play require the keyboard)... I had thought about putting an internal MyIDE in it and running it strictly as a game console, but I would have to enusre it had games that only require a joystick and no keyboard.

My LCD doesn't have an SVideo input (as far as I can tell anyway). I'm more of a gamer than a hardcore computer person but I have been known to still type in (yes, type) a basic game from time to time. I am looking straight at atarimax upgrades in the future.. Sounds like an 800Xl would be better for me?

Absolutely, go for a 800XL.

The 64k extended memory of the 130XE is not a real benefit as newer games require 256k-512k memory expansions, so you'd need a memory upgrade anyways.

If you'd go for a 130XE you'd have the cartridge slot in the wrong place and have to live with one of the worst keyboard ever produced. Sure, the stock video output of the 130XE is slightly better, but this can be fixed with a simple modification, too.

so long,

Hias

My LCD doesn't have an SVideo input (as far as I can tell anyway). I'm more of a gamer than a hardcore computer person but I have been known to still type in (yes, type) a basic game from time to time. I am looking straight at atarimax upgrades in the future.. Sounds like an 800Xl would be better for me?

The 64k extended memory of the 130XE is not a real benefit as newer games require 256k-512k memory expansions, so you'd need a memory upgrade anyways.

True, not many games available that fit into the 128k only memory category.

What about demos? Were there many demos that were in the 128k category, or would you say most of them were also taking advantage of 256k+ memory expansions?

I've been eyeing one of these.

eBay Auction -- Item Number: 2805759768441?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=280575976844&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

That machine is coming from PAL land you know...

sloopy.

Venezuela is NTSC and I doubt his stock would be PAL unless he specifies it on the ebay listing.

I've never seen an NTSC system that came in that box style; that certainly looks like a PAL system to me.

Sure, the stock video output of the 130XE is slightly better...

Which system has the best video "out of the box"? I've heard it said that the 800 has the superior video circuitry.

What about demos? Were there many demos that were in the 128k category, or would you say most of them were also taking advantage of 256k+ memory expansions?

I'd say demos were mostly 64k (or below) or 256k/320k. Very, very few were 256/320k+ and the ones I watched would certainly not be worth investing in a memory upgrade.

I have several XLs here, my main 800XL with a 1MB (DRAM) upgrade, my "gaming" 600XL with a 512k SRAM upgrade and another 800XL with a 1MB SRAM upgrade. Plus a few other 800XLs where I ripped out the broken-by-design 256k DRAM upgrades.

For a new machine I'd recommend a 512k SRAM upgrade. Stay away from DRAM, most designs are broken and only give you headaches (hey, on the XLs CAS extends beyond PHI2, therefore the '375 in the circuit!). ATM 512k is enough and you can build such an upgrade for some 10-15 USD by yourself (see my website). 1MB SRAM upgrades are a lot more complicated and expensive.

so long,

Hias

eBay Auction -- Item Number: 2805759768441?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=280575976844&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

sloopy.

Venezuela is NTSC and I doubt his stock would be PAL unless he specifies it on the ebay listing.

I've never seen an NTSC system that came in that box style; that certainly looks like a PAL system to me.

I have a NTSC box in my basement that is identical to this.

sloopy.

I have a NTSC box in my basement that is identical to this.

my bad on this, i thought V. was one of the countries down there that switched from PAL to NTSC...

either way 800XL is a decent machine, and if you had a PAL you could see all the cool euro demos ;')

sloopy.

Has anyone actually had a problem with customs on a 30 year old computer? :ponder:

I think there was some thread about that a few weeks ago regarding those items from Venezuela 'gold' mines.

Please say you're joking. I ordered some things from them recently.

I think the previous thread mentioned the stuff arrived okay, just delayed and had been opened

Meh, I'm not buying this to put on a shelf sealed in box, so what do I care.

I'd really be interested in hearing about your experience with purchasing this system. Should you follow through with this purchase, please let us know how it worked out for you. I've too been tempted by these units. :thumbsup:

I'd really be interested in hearing about your experience with purchasing this system. Should you follow through with this purchase, please let us know how it worked out for you. I've too been tempted by these units. :thumbsup:

Me too :)

There has been some feedback posted from people buying carts which seems to have been positive so he seems to be reliable at least.

Did you get your system working? I'm pretty use it's cheaper to just buy a couple (or three) of used 800XLs (even if untested) rather than one new one from Venezuela. Low chance that two 800XLs will be defective and even so you can just swap chips around and get a good working unit.

Personally I'd go the 600xl or 800xl route, add a RAM expansion, video port for the 600, Dual Pokey Stereo upgrade, Internal IDE2CF device, or external SIO2SD device, and you're gold.

The only reason I'd avoid the 130XE is the flimsy mother board (testy when doing hard mods), and the keyboard which does not feel near as comfortable as that found on the 800XL or 600XL.

Edited by Syfo-Dyas

800XL no question. I have multiple a8's and the one I always come back to is 800XL.

But is that 800XL modded memory wise?

Which one? ;-)

I have multiple 800xl's from stock to 1mb... However when it comes to straight up gaming 64k is all I usually use (in fact I also have an upgraded 600XL that is 64k that I use primarily as a game machine)

I also have several memory upgraded 130XE's but they mainly get used to run demos...

I thought you must have had a modded one, I'd have suggested the 130XE just for the fact you have no extra costs for the extra memory, shame about the dodgy keyboard tho. So a 800XL mem modded would be the perfect choice (saying that, I'd really love the 800 keyboard grafted onto an XL, for me that was the best KB)

Can't say I liked the XL kb, I found the keys tended to sort of grind in if pressed at a slight angle whereas the 800 was just sweet, it even sounded like those kb's do in the films with that clickedy clackedy :)

The 130 just felt soft and wishy washy...

Don't even mention the stock 400 kb, we at Maplin did a pretty nice rubber key replacement for them which was a must.

Can't say I liked the XL kb, I found the keys tended to sort of grind in if pressed at a slight angle whereas the 800 was just sweet, it even sounded like those kb's do in the films with that clickedy clackedy icon_smile.gif

The 130 just felt soft and wishy washy...

Don't even mention the stock 400 kb, we at Maplin did a pretty nice rubber key replacement for them which was a must.

As mentioned above there are several types of XL keyboard, I've had all 5 and only disliked one, sounds like the one you used to be honest... Unfortunately it's tricky to figure out which keyboard you are getting until you get it... But they are still far and away better than the XE keyboards...

Also you can get away without a memory mod at all, as the vast majority of games do not require them.