IGNORED

I want an 8 Bit... what do I want?

psquare75

For an unmodified system, 130XE. 128KB, better video output options than many models, etc.

If you're going to do modifications, 600XL would be my preference. Better keyboard than the XE line, smallest system in the A8 line, should be all socketed, etc.

I would think the Atari 800 would have more expansion cards given it had slots and two cartridge ports, but I guess they didn't make as many expansion cards as they did for the Apple slots and IBM slots.

For an unmodified system, 130XE. 128KB, better video output options than many models, etc.

If you're going to do modifications, 600XL would be my preference. Better keyboard than the XE line, smallest system in the A8 line, should be all socketed, etc.

I would think the Atari 800 would have more expansion cards given it had slots and two cartridge ports, but I guess they didn't make as many expansion cards as they did for the Apple slots and IBM slots.

well you have to remember it took all 3 of those slots for 'official' full complement of ram and dont have a full complement of signals like the A2 and PC ISA buses do... and the right cart port isnt all that special...

sloopy.

3 Pages and I'm no closer to a choice. :sad:

You can't go wrong with either Atari 800, 800XL, or 130XE as most of the software (99%+) will work on all three. So let me suggest a better approach:

Eenie meenie minie moe

catch the computer that I need to go

if I have more time, i'll look at another so

as for now, this is all I know

Eenie meenie minie moe

The problem is that everyone has their own favorite a8 machine and they are prone to recommend that. Until you get your own unit to use you wont really have an opinion. Each machine has it's own plusses and minuses. We can help you narrow it down but overall it's your choice.

which ever you find cheaper/first of a 800XL or 130XE... as these machines can have a OS rom that is 800 compatible installed, but the 800 cant be made into XL/XE compatible (yet... warerat? o.o)

either of these machines are decent good quality machines, and can run a good cross selection of software...

sloopy.

As sloopy wrote, 800XL and 130XE are either good machines.

My two cents:

Cart port position: 800XL

Design: 800XL and 130XE are both beautiful and original, it's a matter of taste.

Keyboard: it's a matter of taste but you must consider that 5 kind of keyboards exists for 800XL (in only three years lifespan!) and, if I am not wrong, at least 2 kinds for 130XE.

Memory: 130XE has 128KB instead of 64KB, usuful for few games (but now AA user ctirad sells an external 320KB low cost memory expansion for 800XL)

Video ouput: 130XE has also s-video (but with a simple jumper 800XL can have s-video too, but with a bit lower quality)

Quality: 800XL has a better building quality. Moreover, some XL's have all ICs socketed, so they are easier to repair and upgrade.

Basic: 130XE has bug free Basic rev. C (but you can replace 800XL Basic rev. B IC with a rev. C - anyway, if you like Basic programming, nowadays everyone uses the fast, compatible and compilable Turbo-Basic XL so Basic's revision is unimportant).

which ever you find cheaper/first of a 800XL or 130XE... as these machines can have a OS rom that is 800 compatible installed, but the 800 cant be made into XL/XE compatible (yet... warerat? o.o)

either of these machines are decent good quality machines, and can run a good cross selection of software...

sloopy.

Well, you can't run the Gorf cartridge (and some others) on XL/XE and you can't run Nibbly on Atari 800 so there's something you miss out either way. And loading from disk after a translator slows things down and it doesn't always work. Unless you meant putting an 800 OS ROM inside the XL/XE with some switch, but that's a hardware mod.

well you have to remember it took all 3 of those slots for 'official' full complement of ram and dont have a full complement of signals like the A2 and PC ISA buses do... and the right cart port isnt all that special...

sloopy.

I have an Atari 800 (w/some bad keys) that has 32K RAM card in one of the slots and there's one slot open. At least they could have easily developed a banked memory card that was plug and play-- don't think that requires any extra signals and given what they have done with Atari 2600 expansions, some cleverness helps.

sloopy.

I have an Atari 800 (w/some bad keys) that has 32K RAM card in one of the slots and there's one slot open. At least they could have easily developed a banked memory card that was plug and play-- don't think that requires any extra signals and given what they have done with Atari 2600 expansions, some cleverness helps.

Generally the 32k card allowed for the open slot to be used for expansion cards, however none of the cards are cheap to get, nor are they anything you couldn't get for the XL/XE line.

3 Pages and I'm no closer to a choice. icon_frown.gif

sloopy.

Well, you can't run the Gorf cartridge (and some others) on XL/XE and you can't run Nibbly on Atari 800 so there's something you miss out either way. And loading from disk after a translator slows things down and it doesn't always work. Unless you meant putting an 800 OS ROM inside the XL/XE with some switch, but that's a hardware mod.

I think he was refering to an internal mod. On a 800XL that's fairly easy to do as a 4 in 1, or get the atarimax 32 in 1

sloopy.

Generally the 32k card allowed for the open slot to be used for expansion cards, however none of the cards are cheap to get, nor are they anything you couldn't get for the XL/XE line.

really? get me a decent speed 80column card for the XL/XE ;'P

sloopy.

really? get me a decent speed 80column card for the XL/XE ;'P

sloopy.

You just need the right driver and a decent monitor for the XEP80 (and yes I know the bit3 card is far superior)

uuhhh... i'll pass on that one...

sloopy.

Meh, I'm not buying this to put on a shelf sealed in box, so what do I care.

I'd really be interested in hearing about your experience with purchasing this system. Should you follow through with this purchase, please let us know how it worked out for you. I've too been tempted by these units. :thumbsup:

Did you get your system working? I'm pretty use it's cheaper to just buy a couple (or three) of used 800XLs (even if untested) rather than one new one from Venezuela. Low chance that two 800XLs will be defective and even so you can just swap chips around and get a good working unit.

Yes my system is now working, thanks to Sloopy! Sound fixed, 64K RAM and composite video out!!! What a guy... ;)

If your going to be using the system mostly for playing games, then just pick yourself up a decent 800XL or (600XL and have "Sloopy" do your memory upgrade!) and you'll be very happy! I number of people have recommended the 800XL, so I'd go with it. You won't be sorry! ;)

If its money based then get an 800XL, they seem to be the cheapest and really are a lovely machine (hopefully with a nice KB), if price isn't the option then a 130XE, it's as upto date and better output wise than the XL. Personally despite all the extra's I still like the XL more, it should play everything game wise very happily bar a handful ( I can't remember if any of those games require more than 128k even)

Some subliminal thoughts..

800XL

800XL

800XL

Heh, ya prolly! It's amusing to look back at how confusing all this modding business seemed to me once upon a time.

Honestly, all the MODs I just listed are SIMPLE, except maybe the Video Output mod, it takes a few minutes, but again is pretty easy.

the composite mod i installed in my 600XL, and My600XL's machines (and a couple others) is even simpler then that composite mod...

sloopy.

Let's not confuse the guy...

For everyday use an unmoddified 800xl is a perfect machine.

Let him use that, the moddification bug may or may not bite (and if it does the 800xl is fun and easy to modify, and can stand up to a lot of abuse)

Let's not confuse the guy...

For everyday use an unmoddified 800xl is a perfect machine.

Let him use that, the moddification bug may or may not bite (and if it does the 800xl is fun and easy to modify, and can stand up to a lot of abuse)

Just having a little fun, but ya, I'd say the same thing, just get an Atari 800XL and consider that RAM expansion as they just plug in. Can't get any easier than that.

Orpheus: Are you a Legendary Pink Dots fan or something? I ask because of your title.

Sloopy: What MOD did you use, the method I am trying has me a little lost. In fact I'm about to make a post about it.