IGNORED

Fun with Arcade vs. 2600 screen shots!

Flojomojo

MOOORREEEEEE!!

(zylon: dont get your panties in a bunch, it was just a lite jab, a jest)

Buck Rogers

buckrog.pngs_BuckRogers_2.png

Congo Bongo

congo.pngs_CongoBongo_1.png

Targ/Universal Chaos

targ.pngs_UniversalChaos_2.png

Polaris

polaris.pngs_Polaris_2.png

Cat Trax - iirc this was a variant on make trax. any info?

crush.pngs_CatTrax_2.png

Drag Race/Dragster

dragrace.pngs_Dragster_2.png

Pitfall II

pitfall2.pngs_Pitfall2_2.png

do you know if the following games might have been based on arcade games? if so what game?

konamis marine wars, segas sub scan & thunderground, salu's pick-n-pile & acid drop (just computer games,) can you think of any? The box for Thunderground says 'official arcade version on it...'

This is what I have found, so far :-)

That was awesome, Godzilla! I've never seen that Anteater game before, what the #@$% was up with that?

My original intent was to show some unfaithful translations that made the VCS look silly. You found quite a few screen shots that looked remarkably close to the original --- except scaled down for the tiny Atari hardware.

Anyone see the recent Slashdot story which talks about modern 2600 development? To paraphrase: "Two characters in a Microsoft Word document represents 2K. That's more than ten times the system memory that the Atari programmers had to work with." Actually, you'd better look up the exact quote, I'm mangling it. :roll:

Anyone see the recent Slashdot story which talks about modern 2600 development?  To paraphrase: "Two characters in a Microsoft Word document represents 2K.  That's more than ten times the system memory that the Atari programmers had to work with."  Actually, you'd better look up the exact quote, I'm mangling it.  :roll:

HAHAHAHA!!! "ab" in a Word document eats up 2k???? Are we making a giant leap backwards here? :lol:

"I'm tryin' to program my game...but I only have a fifth of a byte to work with ovah heah!"

Found it...

http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,3973...3,854699,00.asp

To compare, try saving a new file with the words "Hi there" in Microsoft Word 2002. "That's 20 Kbytes, five times the amount of (ROM) space developers had to work with in the 2600," said Chris Larkin, a developer who's still writing games for the console.

8 characters = 20k?? Methinks something's amiss in Word2k2

@Cupcakus

You said that?? I think that they misquoted you a -bit-.

If I open word and type AB then save, it's 19,456 bytes. That is more than 16K !  8)

The 16k is not used just to store "AB"...it all depends on your block size (i.e. that's the minimal amount of space a file can take on your HD). Correct? The way they made it sound is that every eight characters eats up 20k.

By contrast...the block size on my system is 8,192 bytes

:idea: Dont forgot how many "useful" informations Word is storing in every document!

(created by, last viewed by, last edited by, license number, OS, language, service packs, installed fonts, network address, hardware list, root and system dir, email addressbook, password list... wait, somewhere there must be a virus! ;))

Atari 2600 can't handle bit-mapped images, because of its lo-res background (25x20?), but it does a decent job on backgroundless games like Space Invaders and Defender.  That it can do.

The horizontal resolution of the 2600 is 40 pixels across. There really is no "vertical resolution" in the sense of the term...since it has no video memory. Vertical pixels can be displayed independantly on each of it's 192 scanlines.

So, an Atari could display a picture 40x192 resolution. Has anyone ever done that? I guess E.T. qualifies! Anyway, you can see why translating a bit-mapped 244x288 videogame is near impossible. There's not enough horizontal resolution. I'm surprised programmers even bother to try.

BTW, did you know the chopper in Chopper Command is actually a background image (not a sprite)? Just learned that 1 minute ago! That explains why the chopper is so lo-res...I always wondered why.

s_ET_1.pngmini-choppercommand.gif

wonder how many more there are to dredge up...

If you're going to compare Defender, at least include the much superior version called Defender 2. :)

mini-defender.gifmini-stargate.gif

As for Galaxian, I prefer the original Atari version over the hacks. I think it has much cleaner ship designs. Only bothersome thing: That border. Why did the programmer include a border????? Dumb.

:idea: Dont forgot how many "useful" informations Word is storing in every document!

(created by, last viewed by, last edited by, license number, OS, language, service packs, installed fonts, network address, hardware list, root and system dir, email addressbook, password list... wait, somewhere there must be a virus! ;))

Yes, all that overhead is what makes MS documents bigger to start with. And don't get me started about using Word as an HTML editor.

I believe the authorities used this information to track down the author of the "ILOVEYOU" vb worm that infected so many computers a few years ago.

BTW, did you know the chopper in Chopper Command is actually a background image (not a sprite)?

Sorry, but I have to correct you here, the chopper is a "sprite".

:idea: It looks a bit blocky because an Atari 2600 "sprite" has a resolution of 8 bits. So if you want a wider "sprite" you have to double the pixels, which makes them look blocky. Compare the players chopper with the other choppers. They both have the exactly same pattern, but the players chopper is twice as wide.

You can see the lowres playfield when looking at the horizon mountains. One playfield pixel equals 4 "sprite" pixels.